6.8 lb?

2L8

AH veteran
Reaction score
Does a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .375 H&H really weigh 6 lb, 13 oz? That seems awful light. But then Im one of those guys that thinks of a 450/400 3" as being the Heavy Rifle instead of the Light.

I owned one, loved it... but had to sell it. It was probably close to that. However, once you deck it out with rings, bases, scope, sling, loaded mag & recoil pad = 9lbs

i would consider 7 pounds too light for a 375 H&H. a 375 and a 450/400 should weigh 8+ pounds (both are similar in recoil).

having a light gun is wonderful for carrying in the field but seriously reduces the amount a practice you will get due to it being uncomfortable to shoot.

-matt

i would consider 7 pounds too light for a 375 H&H. a 375 and a 450/400 should weigh 8+ pounds (both are similar in recoil).

having a light gun is wonderful for carrying in the field but seriously reduces the amount a practice you will get due to it being uncomfortable to shoot.

-matt

Agreed. The recoil may induce a flinch when you fire. Think seriously about that.

Agree with others, that is too light for me. Would be quite lively.

Haven't fired an X-Bolt....but have the earlier A-Bolt. They are fine.

You carry a rifle a lot more than you shoot it. My .458 weighs 8 pounds scoped ready to rumble. A man-bra over the bench and all is good :whistle:

You carry a rifle a lot more than you shoot it. My .458 weighs 8 pounds scoped ready to rumble. A man-bra over the bench and all is good :whistle:

By man bra I assume you mean something like a Paast Recoil Shield.

Far too light in my opinion. Unnecessary actually. I honestly can tell you that I have never been winded on a hunting trip because my rifle weighed an additional 3 lbs. I have been winded from being out of shape. But that isn't my rifles fault. I mean... If I want to more than make up for that 3 lbs of extra rifle weight, I would get lightweight clothing. Before about the 1970's, hardly anyone ever complained about standard rifle weight. Look at Sports Afield articles from the 1950's and 60's. Dall Sheep hunters in alpine environments wearing heavy wool clothing and carrying a 9.5 lb, blued, wood stocked, Winchester Model 70 in .30-06. So much for the 5 lb stainless alpine rifle necessity argument.

A 9.5-10 lbs .375 H&H loaded and scoped is far more tolerable to shoot. I know guys who shoot light hard kicking rifles just because they think that if their gun didn't kick harder than everyone else's, they would have to turn in their man card. They also feel the need to tell you about their amazing recoil tolerance and how mere mortals cannot withstand such jarring concussions. Smarter, more mature men just laugh and go about shooting their appropriately weighted rifles in comfort.

To that end... a lightweight .375 H&H is no fun, and tempts you to put a brake on it. A Muzzle brake, in my opinion, is worse that coming to a range with "Hillary Clinton for President" plastered on the side of your truck. Buy an appropriately weighted rifle.

A Muzzle brake, in my opinion, is worse that coming to a range with "Hillary Clinton for President" plastered on the side of your truck. Buy an appropriately weighted rifle.

:D

To that end... a lightweight .375 H&H is no fun, and tempts you to put a brake on it. A Muzzle brake, in my opinion, is worse that coming to a range with "Hillary Clinton for President" plastered on the side of your truck. Buy an appropriately weighted rifle.
I will willing face a charging buffalo before I would face grumpy old gun guys in either of those situations.:p

I have hunted with my browning abolt 2 375 with 300 grain a frames in SA--my 16 year old son shot an animal with it--the weight with the scope and rings and ammo is approx 9 lbs. It is not excessive on recoil--I would say it has less perceived recoil than my similarly equipped 7mag a bolt that now carries a silencerco harvester for recoil and noise reduction.

if you carry your rifle more then you shoot it, then you arent shooting enough. i attend big bore shooting competitions where its expected that you be able to quickly and accurately fire your gun 30-40 times from assorted positions in a variety of situations. any decent practice setting should include firing around 20 rounds in the same manner you hunt, so if your practicing with a sissy pad on your shoulder you better be hunting with the same pad.

my 416 RM tips the scales at 10.5 pounds which is about perfect for that caliber. its been to Africa 3 times and has been hunted with in the USA many times. never have i felt this weight to be excessive or hindering on a hunt.

-matt

. A Muzzle brake, in my opinion, is worse that coming to a range with "Hillary Clinton for President" plastered on the side of your truck. Buy an appropriately weighted rifle.

I laughed out loud on this one. A good buddy of mine has an ultralight Kimber in .30-06 with a muzzle break. Our crew that goes shooting with him HATES that gun! The .416's and .458's don't elicit any complaints from the guys, while everyone runs for cover cursing at him when that .06 goes off. I honestly think that noise from a brake and the fast kick that comes with a too-light for caliber rifle is more likely to induce a flinch than recoil alone.

if you carry your rifle more then you shoot it, then you arent shooting enough. i attend big bore shooting competitions where its expected that you be able to quickly and accurately fire your gun 30-40 times from assorted positions in a variety of situations. any decent practice setting should include firing around 20 rounds in the same manner you hunt, so if your practicing with a sissy pad on your shoulder you better be hunting with the same pad.

my 416 RM tips the scales at 10.5 pounds which is about perfect for that caliber. its been to Africa 3 times and has been hunted with in the USA many times. never have i felt this weight to be excessive or hindering on a hunt.

-matt

No, I just prefer to hunt much more than I range shoot which honestly is just a chore to me. I only use the pad for sighting over the bench. And of course I practice from field positions before a big hunt...100 rounds before my last buff hunt (y)

Far too light in my opinion. Unnecessary actually. I honestly can tell you that I have never been winded on a hunting trip because my rifle weighed an additional 3 lbs. I have been winded from being out of shape. But that isn't my rifles fault. I mean... If I want to more than make up for that 3 lbs of extra rifle weight, I would get lightweight clothing. Before about the 1970's, hardly anyone ever complained about standard rifle weight. Look at Sports Afield articles from the 1950's and 60's. Dall Sheep hunters in alpine environments wearing heavy wool clothing and carrying a 9.5 lb, blued, wood stocked, Winchester Model 70 in .30-06. So much for the 5 lb stainless alpine rifle necessity argument.

A 9.5-10 lbs .375 H&H loaded and scoped is far more tolerable to shoot. I know guys who shoot light hard kicking rifles just because they think that if their gun didn't kick harder than everyone else's, they would have to turn in their man card. They also feel the need to tell you about their amazing recoil tolerance and how mere mortals cannot withstand such jarring concussions. Smarter, more mature men just laugh and go about shooting their appropriately weighted rifles in comfort.

I agree - too light and the shooter will be worried about the recoil!

I didn’t think mine was bad at all. It was the very Rifle you are talking about. For the record I’m 5’8 & 175 lbs. So not an overly large dude.

We have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby that weighs less than 8 lbs with Talley steel QR rings and a Leupold 2-7x Firedot scope. With 375 H&H factory rounds it's just fine, with full house 375 Weatherby rounds (300g at 2800 fps) it's a bit snappy. The rifle below is my Rem BDL in 270 I bought in the late 60s still going strong.

7ymIhyM.jpg

I had the exact rifle you describe. Recoil was actually not bad . I think it was a combination of stock design and that squishy recoil pad they come with . My issues with the x bolt are the extractor riding over the case I'm and failures to extract . And let's not forget the cheesy magazine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg