.500 Jeffery action options?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi all,

It's been a while since I popped a post up on here, I hope you're all keeping well?

A gunsmith friend of mine dropped me a message the other day to say he'd stumbled across a pre chambered barrel in .500 Jeff. I'm not sure where or how, but it's there and apparently threads nicely into a standard Mauser action that he had lying around. I'm just wondering if those of you who may have a bit of experience in this may know what other actions it may fit? Or will it be a try it and see affair?

I have a .416 Rigby and had no intention of adding to the stable, but this opportunity looks to be a good one. I'm considering doing a build just for the challenge. I've always wanted one of the bolt action .50's but never thought it would happen! It's quite exciting really.

Perhaps a CZ 550 action would work? I have seen a few builds in that caliber range over the years based on that action in the 50 range if I remember correctly.

What is the thread pattern on the barrel shank/does the prospective receiver (550/Granite Mountain) have identical thread pattern?

Since you said it is pre-threaded for a mauser. I don't believe that the other actions have that thread pattern so if the gunsmith KNOWS his stuff it can be put into a mauser action with alottttt of work.

Olympic BBK is a huge action and is threaded with the standard M98 threads. Photo below.

CZ550 and Brno 602 have metric threads.

Still thinking about what to chamber this one in, I have a new Pac Nor .510 barrel. And 500 Jeff reamers (finish, rougher, resize)

OB8j0P4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Olympic BBK is a huge action and is threaded with the standard M98 threads. Photo below.

CZ550 and Brno 602 have metric threads.
That's the sort of info I was after. Thanks very much! I'll see what I can find. Being in the UK though it may be a challenge to pick one up. We'll see. I need to do some research.

This is my .500 Jeffery, built by Lon Paul using a BRNO ZKK 602 action from a .375 H&H caliber rifle I bought new in 1971. Lon fitted a CZ 550 stock to the barreled action in place of the imitation Weatherby stock which came with it originally. The backward BRNO safety has been replaced with a Model 70 style three position safety, eliminating the only objection I had to the action. The action functions flawlessly.

Lon Paul .500 Jeffery 002 (2).jpg

Nice looking rifle! I'd probably build off of a Brno or CZ but I'm in the unusual position of my gunsmith finding a barrel ready to go. That's not a common approach but it's there, so it seems silly not to use it. Finding this barrel has kind of been the only prompt I've had to start a project - I was quite happy with my .416 until I got his message! He knew how I'd react :A Stirring:

Hi all,

It's been a while since I popped a post up on here, I hope you're all keeping well?

A gunsmith friend of mine dropped me a message the other day to say he'd stumbled across a pre chambered barrel in .500 Jeff. I'm not sure where or how, but it's there and apparently threads nicely into a standard Mauser action that he had lying around. I'm just wondering if those of you who may have a bit of experience in this may know what other actions it may fit? Or will it be a try it and see affair?

I have a .416 Rigby and had no intention of adding to the stable, but this opportunity looks to be a good one. I'm considering doing a build just for the challenge. I've always wanted one of the bolt action .50's but never thought it would happen! It's quite exciting really.
@njc110381
The M17 Enfield makes up into a beautiful 500. Massive action and more than strong enough.
My gunsmith has made up a couple of them on the M17 action
Bob

Neil, Granite Mountain Arms or that French company who's name escapes me makes an oversize Mauser 98 (Brevette?!?)

Other option would be a 500 Jeffery on a rebated rim. There is a chap in the BSRC with one built on a Zastava action (Left Handed, no less) - I can put you in touch if that would help.

Scrummy

Nick, sorry, Brevex is the name, and apparently it will take a 505 Gibbs case.

Scrummy
You were there, just for a moment! Now we've gone full circle and we're back where we started! :LOL:

Cheers for the info, I'll look them up. I'd love to have a chat with the chap with the Zastava if that's possible - you can't beat real world experience.

I'll look up the M17 Enfield too - thanks Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatildaGra

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.