.500 Jeffery action options?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi all,

It's been a while since I popped a post up on here, I hope you're all keeping well?

A gunsmith friend of mine dropped me a message the other day to say he'd stumbled across a pre chambered barrel in .500 Jeff. I'm not sure where or how, but it's there and apparently threads nicely into a standard Mauser action that he had lying around. I'm just wondering if those of you who may have a bit of experience in this may know what other actions it may fit? Or will it be a try it and see affair?

I have a .416 Rigby and had no intention of adding to the stable, but this opportunity looks to be a good one. I'm considering doing a build just for the challenge. I've always wanted one of the bolt action .50's but never thought it would happen! It's quite exciting really.

Perhaps a CZ 550 action would work? I have seen a few builds in that caliber range over the years based on that action in the 50 range if I remember correctly.

What is the thread pattern on the barrel shank/does the prospective receiver (550/Granite Mountain) have identical thread pattern?

Since you said it is pre-threaded for a mauser. I don't believe that the other actions have that thread pattern so if the gunsmith KNOWS his stuff it can be put into a mauser action with alottttt of work.

Olympic BBK is a huge action and is threaded with the standard M98 threads. Photo below.

CZ550 and Brno 602 have metric threads.

Still thinking about what to chamber this one in, I have a new Pac Nor .510 barrel. And 500 Jeff reamers (finish, rougher, resize)

OB8j0P4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Olympic BBK is a huge action and is threaded with the standard M98 threads. Photo below.

CZ550 and Brno 602 have metric threads.
That's the sort of info I was after. Thanks very much! I'll see what I can find. Being in the UK though it may be a challenge to pick one up. We'll see. I need to do some research.

This is my .500 Jeffery, built by Lon Paul using a BRNO ZKK 602 action from a .375 H&H caliber rifle I bought new in 1971. Lon fitted a CZ 550 stock to the barreled action in place of the imitation Weatherby stock which came with it originally. The backward BRNO safety has been replaced with a Model 70 style three position safety, eliminating the only objection I had to the action. The action functions flawlessly.

Lon Paul .500 Jeffery 002 (2).jpg

Nice looking rifle! I'd probably build off of a Brno or CZ but I'm in the unusual position of my gunsmith finding a barrel ready to go. That's not a common approach but it's there, so it seems silly not to use it. Finding this barrel has kind of been the only prompt I've had to start a project - I was quite happy with my .416 until I got his message! He knew how I'd react :A Stirring:

Hi all,

It's been a while since I popped a post up on here, I hope you're all keeping well?

A gunsmith friend of mine dropped me a message the other day to say he'd stumbled across a pre chambered barrel in .500 Jeff. I'm not sure where or how, but it's there and apparently threads nicely into a standard Mauser action that he had lying around. I'm just wondering if those of you who may have a bit of experience in this may know what other actions it may fit? Or will it be a try it and see affair?

I have a .416 Rigby and had no intention of adding to the stable, but this opportunity looks to be a good one. I'm considering doing a build just for the challenge. I've always wanted one of the bolt action .50's but never thought it would happen! It's quite exciting really.
@njc110381
The M17 Enfield makes up into a beautiful 500. Massive action and more than strong enough.
My gunsmith has made up a couple of them on the M17 action
Bob

Neil, Granite Mountain Arms or that French company who's name escapes me makes an oversize Mauser 98 (Brevette?!?)

Other option would be a 500 Jeffery on a rebated rim. There is a chap in the BSRC with one built on a Zastava action (Left Handed, no less) - I can put you in touch if that would help.

Scrummy

Nick, sorry, Brevex is the name, and apparently it will take a 505 Gibbs case.

Scrummy
You were there, just for a moment! Now we've gone full circle and we're back where we started! :LOL:

Cheers for the info, I'll look them up. I'd love to have a chat with the chap with the Zastava if that's possible - you can't beat real world experience.

I'll look up the M17 Enfield too - thanks Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wovoka

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?