450 No 2 Nitro Express Project

ET1775

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jul 2, 2022
Messages
441
Reaction score
845
Media
9
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1
Hunted
United States
I am going to embark on a project to convert a ruger No 1 into a semi-bespoke 450 No 2 NE rifle. I want to do this for a number of reasons, first, I want to. Second, I think the cartridge is very neat and I don't want it to pass into complete obscurity and disuse. As a handloader, the case offers some very interesting potential for experimenting with a wide variety of .458 bullets. I like challenges and think this will be fun to figure out.

So this thread will become my depository of information as I gather it, photos as the project materializes, and hopefully a place where members far more knowledgeable than me can share data and wisdom about the cartridge, and anything else related to it. Lets keep it alive and well.
 
Sounds like an interesting project. Thank you for allowing us to follow along!
 
Just purchased a No 1 in .405 Win. Will be planning on re-bore and re-chamber.

I am starting the unhurried hunt for some nice walnut.

Found 20 pieces of new brass on the forum, many thanks to @GeorgeGibbs505

If anyone here has dies they would like to sell I am interested. I am also in need of a reamer if any of you knows who makes a good one that can purchase or if you have one I could rent when the time comes I would be much obliged.
 
My goal is to create a very reliable, durable, all-continents, all-weather, BG/DG rifle that is low maintenance and will not rust. Classy but utilitarian. Thoughts so far:

Ruger No 1 .405 Win Stainless/laminate

- rechamber/rebore to 450 #2 NE

- proper density and grain structure walnut stock shaped to fit me and with better dimensions for using Iron sights/red dot and absorbing recoil. will weather proof stock as best as possible.

- get a solid quarter rib machined. Ideally with integral quick detach or rmr mount capability.

- finish receiver/lever etc in a traditional coin gray and finish barrel in black

-will get trigger/ejector tuned for consistent and reliable action with proper trigger weight.

-proper front and rear sights for DG

- once rib is installed, will add weight to forend and stock to maintain balance as best as possible but improve recoil characteristics if necessary.

-In order to get the rim of the cartridge to clear and load correctly I will need to get the loading ramp relieved and reformat the safety a bit.

This will be fun.
 
As a Ruger No 1 enthusiast who abuses them by rebarrelling/rechambering them, this appeals to me a great deal; a classic caliber, in a modern, but classic-looking rifle. Waiting patiently to see how it turns out.
 
My goal is to create a very reliable, durable, all-continents, all-weather, BG/DG rifle that is low maintenance and will not rust. Classy but utilitarian. Thoughts so far:

Ruger No 1 .405 Win Stainless/laminate

- rechamber/rebore to 450 #2 NE

- proper density and grain structure walnut stock shaped to fit me and with better dimensions for using Iron sights/red dot and absorbing recoil. will weather proof stock as best as possible.

- get a solid quarter rib machined. Ideally with integral quick detach or rmr mount capability.

- finish receiver/lever etc in a traditional coin gray and finish barrel in black

-will get trigger/ejector tuned for consistent and reliable action with proper trigger weight.

-proper front and rear sights for DG

- once rib is installed, will add weight to forend and stock to maintain balance as best as possible but improve recoil characteristics if necessary.

-In order to get the rim of the cartridge to clear and load correctly I will need to get the loading ramp relieved and reformat the safety a bit.

This will be fun.
I agree with all this. Best of luck to you!!
 
I have the same proyect!

 
I have the same proyect!

Excellent, we can compare notes and share successes!
 
An informal poll for the fine folks following my project:

Which type of metal treatment would be best for my project, and why, if you are so inclined to explain your thoughts? The rifle is high gloss stainless steel and ai don't plan to leave it that way as this will be primarily a hunting rifle and I am allergic to glare.

-Glass bead blasted, satin stainless

-Cerakote to look like traditional bluing

-DLC/PVD/CVD to look like traditional bluing

-Hot blued

-Two tone, using above methods for black barrel with french grey receiver?
 
I am leaning toward this matched set of French walnut for this project, as I can also get my .300 H&H re-stocked with the second one.

4168E099-C005-49E7-8B26-22E8D0911085.jpeg
A4AA4556-FC6F-40BB-BFFC-1E0FBA426907.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,916
Members
169,642
Latest member
CharmainKi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top