4 Stable Sticks Preliminary Review

I did make one modification to the 4Stable Sticks. I bought a roll of DuckTape with a camo pattern (but anything subdued in colour would have worked) and covered as much as possible the metal parts with it. In fact if you cut a piece of the DuckTape, and place it lenght wise on the aluminium rods, you can just cover all around.

Two reasons for this:
- Sound: when closing them up, the middle sections of aluminium sometimes hit each other with a quite metallic sound. It is "a bit" better with the tape. This was the original reason I had put it on.

- Insulation: when carrying the sticks in winter time in Belgium, without gloves, holding aluminium rods is just not very comfortable. (sure I could wear gloves, but this is never as handy as bare hands, for manipulating my rifle, bino's and the sticks.

V.
I did the same with my Gunstix using gaffer's tape. Has a better texture for grip than duct tape. Definitely makes a difference carrying in cold weather. Also replaced the wide webbing strap with paracord and a quick adjust clamp (like you find on the cinch cord of a bag). The bottom of each leg has a short paracord wrap (hangman's knot) that eliminated the clack if the legs bumped walking.
Just for the record, I tend to modify almost all gear in some form or fashion after a bit of use. Almost everything can be improved on. Make it fit or function better specifically for me.

Has anyone compared the 4stablesticks to gunstix? Seem quite similar, thought the gunstix are a good bit cheaper, aluminum vs carbon but not a huge difference in weight.
I have used the High & heavy sticks for sitting shots on bear, turkey, and 200+ yd shots at the range.
I used the The 4 Stable sticks in S. Africa, and...
have recently bought (but have yet to use) the Gun Stix

High & Heavy sticks are light but they don't make standing sticks anymore.
The 4 Stable sticks gave me problems when we were sitting on the ground at a water hole. Space wise.

While I have a set of the High & Heavy 36's, I went with Gun Stix over 4 Stable. I like the fact that one set of sticks can be used as a walking stick, or for standing or sitting shooting rests

Is he referring to the extra additional accessory leg that's available ?

I used Viper Flex in S/A pretty much new to sticks .

I'm off to google Fly Eye
@CBH Australia
Chris those viper flex are a bench rest in the bush. Used them in Namibia. If they weren't so expensive I would have a set.

You guys convinced me I needed stable sticks and mine just came in the mail. They're frickin awesome!!! You're right Bob, like a bench rest in the bush!!! If I had these when I was a kid, woodchucks would be extinct in Pennsylvania lol
You won't regret them!

Does anyone know if there's a way to shorten them up a little? They seem a bit long for me. They didn't come with much in the way of directions lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 9.07.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 9.07.25 AM.png
    744.1 KB · Views: 33
I bought them when they first came out and took them on my first safari. They were awesome on flat ground. God help you if you are on a hill or mountain. They are a disaster. I recently bought the new Fly-Eye from African Creations that is a bi pod but has a quad top that folds out giving me the best of both worlds even on hills
I recently bought the new Blazer equivalent which I like much better given unlike these will easily swivel right and left if the animal is walking without lifting the sticks

I have both Rudolph and viperflex. Fantastic stable shooting platforms. You can quibble with the getting use to these but they are awesome. I am working to use in a sitting , concealed , non level location. Vipers are slower to adjust.

Does anyone know if there's a way to shorten them up a little? They seem a bit long for me. They didn't come with much in the way of directions lol

Have you shortened them up ? Web says they go down to 118 centimeters. Also , are you expanding them by spreading them apart ? My rule of thumb is I like them up to my mouth when straight and unopened.

My PH was skeptical at first but after day two he asked if I could leave my stable sticks for clients in the future. Any of the quad stick platforms are way more stable than the traditional tripod sticks.

Have you shortened them up ? Web says they go down to 118 centimeters. Also , are you expanding them by spreading them apart ? My rule of thumb is I like them up to my mouth when straight and unopened.
Truth be told, I had too much to drink when putting them together and thought they had a height adjustment lol
They work great once you can see straight!

I asked the PH if he had quad sticks for our trip last year. Yes, lots of them. He did but I’m bringing my own Viperflex this year.

I bought the Ultimate Carbine 4 Stable Sticks last year from Norma (currently OOS).
These come in six sections, easy to assemble with a little practice and fit well into checked airline luggage. I plan on taking them this year to the Eastern Cape. Seemingly very stiff and sturdy. I'm a fan of these and the Rudolph version.

I bought them when they first came out and took them on my first safari. They were awesome on flat ground. God help you if you are on a hill or mountain. They are a disaster. I recently bought the new Fly-Eye from African Creations that is a bi pod but has a quad top that folds out giving me the best of both worlds even on hills
I'm using the viper flex with looks to be on par with these. Having used them on the side on a very good grade. They were very usable, I did have to find "my spot" and get above them some. Made 9 shoots on a decent recoiling rifle. All 9 hit their mark which was a little over 90 yards away.

I'm sure shooting positional in competitions help with that.

I have the Viper Flex shooting sticks and they work very well for me. I think they are every similar to the stable sticks. I am able to get way more steady with these versus my older tripod Primos shooting sticks.

I have the Viper Flex shooting sticks and they work very well for me. I think they are every similar to the stable sticks. I am able to get way more steady with these versus my older tripod Primos shooting sticks.

They work well for us. With my light weight 22 @ 100 yards was hitting a 3" steel target. That was also in a 20mph full value wind. Dropped 1 out of 10 on the target. It missed just off the top edge. Was it me or the ammo? I don't know, what I will say they are worth the money to me.

They work well for us. With my light weight 22 @ 100 yards was hitting a 3" steel target. That was also in a 20mph full value wind. Dropped 1 out of 10 on the target. It missed just off the top edge. Was it me or the ammo? I don't know, what I will say they are worth the money to me.

@Inline6, I completely agree with you. They have certainly extended my range from a standing position compared to the older bipod or tripod sticks. I have yet to shoot anything over 200 yards in the field with them but on that 200 yard shot I was very steady. And if I get support for my right elbow from a tree or PH etc. I feel nearly as steady with these sticks as on the bench. My son has taken game in Africa using the Viper Flex (my PH had a pair and that's what made me get them) at around 400 yards (I know this is an unusually long shot for Africa but it was a big Nyala at near last light and we did not think we could get closer without spooking him)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg