4 Stable Sticks Preliminary Review

jcnelsn1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I ordered the carbon 4 stable sticks a couple weeks ago and have had the chance to shoot off them a few times. Previously was using 3 legged bog sticks. My early impression of the 4 stable sticks is they are fantastic and significantly more steady than the 3 legged sticks. Very light weight also and easy to deploy. I plan to continue to shoot from both and start keeping track of hit percentage from each but pretty confident hit rate on longer shots will be noticeably better with the quad sticks.

I’ve been using them since 2017. They are great. I’ve learned a couple really important things shooting with them though. You need to focus on getting the back of the rifle in first then the forearm just falls into place. I see too many videos of people trying to put the front of rifle in first or set the rifle on both supports at same time. Shooting with a sling will give you a lot more ability to move because now you can hold the sling and front two sticks instead of forearm. This lets you make small movements with your thumb but also lets you pivot 360 degrees with rifle still on sticks. I’ve also found bearing weight into the sticks reduces your accuracy. The straighter you can stand and less weight you bear into the sticks (while still able to control recoil) the more accurate you’ll be. I really like these sticks, but you have to learn to shoot differently than a tripod particularly to be fast with them.

Quad sticks are the way to go. For me 500 yard shots are no problem off quad sticks. Tripods don’t help me very much and in some circumstances I could shoot better free handed.
Philip

I ordered the carbon 4 stable sticks a couple weeks ago and have had the chance to shoot off them a few times. Previously was using 3 legged bog sticks. My early impression of the 4 stable sticks is they are fantastic and significantly more steady than the 3 legged sticks. Very light weight also and easy to deploy. I plan to continue to shoot from both and start keeping track of hit percentage from each but pretty confident hit rate on longer shots will be noticeably better with the quad sticks.
I bought them when they first came out and took them on my first safari. They were awesome on flat ground. God help you if you are on a hill or mountain. They are a disaster. I recently bought the new Fly-Eye from African Creations that is a bi pod but has a quad top that folds out giving me the best of both worlds even on hills

I bought them when they first came out and took them on my first safari. They were awesome on flat ground. God help you if you are on a hill or mountain. They are a disaster. I recently bought the new Fly-Eye from African Creations that is a bi pod but has a quad top that folds out giving me the best of both worlds even on hills
I will have to test them out on a hill. It looks like the fly-eye has 2 points of ground contact too. What about the fly-eye design makes it better on a hill? Thanks

Where did you order them from? It looks like they are out of France.

I’ve used 4 stable sticks several times in uneven ground/hills in Namibia without a problem. The two points of contact are definitely designed for relatively flat ground though. If you shoot up or down a steep hill you really can’t utilize both points of contact, you’d just have to use it as a bipod, so I can’t see the difference between using 4 stable sticks and fly eye. A big disadvantage I can see in the fly eye design though vs 4 stable stick (or viper flex) is the front V. The flat front with 4 stable sticks let’s the rifle be in a completely neutral position. With a front V design you unfortunately have to put tension into the firearm to shoot left or right and it takes away from the accuracy potential.

Where did you order them from? It looks like they are out of France.

I think they are available on Amazon also but I ordered from the website above

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 8.06.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 8.06.33 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 8.06.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 8.06.34 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 8.06.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 8.06.36 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
I’ve used my 4StableSticks on multiple occasions in very hilly terrain in the Eastern Cape, for shots with 30 degree downward angle, while standing on a left to right hill incline of +40 degrees. It requires a bit of positioning but is quite feasible. Definitely leaps and bounds more stable than a three legged stick

I will have to test them out on a hill. It looks like the fly-eye has 2 points of ground contact too. What about the fly-eye design makes it better on a hill? Thanks
The quad sticks have another set of ground contact the Fly-Eye does not. Everyone is correct…on flat ground nothing is better than quad sticks. Ask your PH the type ground you will be hunting…if hills I highly recommend stop practicing on flat ground and find hills to practice

The quad sticks have another set of ground contact the Fly-Eye does not. Everyone is correct…on flat ground nothing is better than quad sticks. Ask your PH the type ground you will be hunting…if hills I highly recommend stop practicing on flat ground and find hills to practice
I don’t understand what you are saying? 4 stable sticks have 2 points of ground contact. From photos it appears fly eye sticks also have 2 points of contact?

I don’t understand what you are saying? 4 stable sticks have 2 points of ground contact. From photos it appears fly eye sticks also have 2 points of contact?
Is he referring to the extra additional accessory leg that's available ?

I used Viper Flex in S/A pretty much new to sticks .

I'm off to google Fly Eye

Ok, I get it Flys Eye have the second support or rest fold out halfway up the main leg.
I guess it works but Viper Flex and 4 Stable Sticks also work,

Good luck with these I'm sure they will be fine

That sounds great, I bought them last year but unfortunately that was after the hunting season so now I am very eager to try them out after your review :)

I purchased the 4 Stable Sticks a while back, and I've been practicing with them for my upcoming SA trip. I'm also planning on taking them with me, they are incredibly stable.

Has anyone compared the 4stablesticks to gunstix? Seem quite similar, thought the gunstix are a good bit cheaper, aluminum vs carbon but not a huge difference in weight.

Has anyone compared the 4stablesticks to gunstix? Seem quite similar, thought the gunstix are a good bit cheaper, aluminum vs carbon but not a huge difference in weight.
I have not but they seem like a good design. The big thing I’d recommend when looking at quad sticks is to stay away from sticks with a fixed V in the front because you’ll need to put tension into the rifle for any left or right movements. The Blaser sticks with rotating front V may be an exception to that though. I personally like the original 4 stable sticks. I probably will never buy a carbon pair unless price is right just don’t see the need.

I purchased the 4 Stable Sticks a while back, and I've been practicing with them for my upcoming SA trip. I'm also planning on taking them with me, they are incredibly stable.
I did make one modification to the 4Stable Sticks. I bought a roll of DuckTape with a camo pattern (but anything subdued in colour would have worked) and covered as much as possible the metal parts with it. In fact if you cut a piece of the DuckTape, and place it lenght wise on the aluminium rods, you can just cover all around.

Two reasons for this:
- Sound: when closing them up, the middle sections of aluminium sometimes hit each other with a quite metallic sound. It is "a bit" better with the tape. This was the original reason I had put it on.

- Insulation: when carrying the sticks in winter time in Belgium, without gloves, holding aluminium rods is just not very comfortable. (sure I could wear gloves, but this is never as handy as bare hands, for manipulating my rifle, bino's and the sticks.

V.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you