375 Ruger vs 375 HH

Daga Boy I meant to add that the416Ruger was beset with extraction problems when it first came out. Hornady were trying to get the magical 2400fps with a 400 grain pill as were hand loaders. Though Hornady used a special mix of powder there was the odd problem with factory ammo. All reloads of the 416 Ruger I knew of had problems and could not get near the 2400fps without bolt lock up, smoke coming out of the action and similar nasty events. That is no longer a problem from what I hear so Hornady/Ruger must have changed something in the mix and reloaders backed off or found a new powder that does the trick. The reloaders I know settle for 2300fps.
Excellent thread. I enjoyed the whole thing, but this was the particular topic I was trying to understand: the potential for sticking in the heat with the 375 Ruger. Sounds like the reported problems were with the 416 Ruger and early on.

I would appreciate if anyone else has insight to add on to this. Others have said "I've never had a problem", but that doesn't really answer it. From what I understand, sticky extraction in Africa heat is almost unheard of with the 375 H&H. Based on usage so far, have there been any instances of the 375 Ruger sticking in the heat? It might be only one in 10,000, but it could still be statistically way less reliable than the H&H. Of course there are lots of variables, I get that. From what I gather, a few who have commented here are bona fide PHs or have otherwise significant experience and talk to enough people to have a good "anecdotal" data set, an ear to the ground in the Africa. None of you have said anything about actual issues with the 375 Ruger, which is good. But, I would like to specifically ask: has anyone heard of actual problems with the 375 Ruger in real heat?

So you know where I'm coming from: never hunted in Africa but want to. I'm considering getting a 375 and want to get a few years of practice with it before going (i.e., can afford the rifle and shooting in the near term, but not the trip yet). I'm definitely a traditionalist, I love the 30-06, 1911s and revolvers (as opposed to polymer) etc., so the H&H has huge appeal. However, I'm also an unabashed Ruger fanboy. These two strong tendencies are at war in my soul when it comes to 375 Ruger vs. H&H.

Laniarius, I have not heard of problems with the 375Ruger. I would think loading them to not exceed recommended max and with a temperature stable powder should mean no overload induced problems. I appreciate that in your neck of the woods it would be problematic to test your loads in 40 to 50C heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you know where I'm coming from: never hunted in Africa but want to. I'm considering getting a 375 and want to get a few years of practice with it before going (i.e., can afford the rifle and shooting in the near term, but not the trip yet). I'm definitely a traditionalist, I love the 30-06, 1911s and revolvers (as opposed to polymer) etc., so the H&H has huge appeal. However, I'm also an unabashed Ruger fanboy. These two strong tendencies are at war in my soul when it comes to 375 Ruger vs. H&H.

I can't help with the sticking case issue but I was in pretty much the same boat a couple of years back, the 2 cartridges ballistics are very similar. In the end, nostalgia won out and I found a Whitworth Express .375 H&H in pretty good shape for a reasonable price, I have since grown to really love this rifle and will be taking it on my first safari this summer. The 2 choices for me ended up being between a Winchester M70 or a 98 Mauser, the caliber was decided quickly.

Good luck, I'm pretty sure either one will work just fine!

Excellent thread. I enjoyed the whole thing, but this was the particular topic I was trying to understand: the potential for sticking in the heat with the 375 Ruger. Sounds like the reported problems were with the 416 Ruger and early on.

I would appreciate if anyone else has insight to add on to this. Others have said "I've never had a problem", but that doesn't really answer it. From what I understand, sticky extraction in Africa heat is almost unheard of with the 375 H&H. Based on usage so far, have there been any instances of the 375 Ruger sticking in the heat? It might be only one in 10,000, but it could still be statistically way less reliable than the H&H. Of course there are lots of variables, I get that. From what I gather, a few who have commented here are bona fide PHs or have otherwise significant experience and talk to enough people to have a good "anecdotal" data set, an ear to the ground in the Africa. None of you have said anything about actual issues with the 375 Ruger, which is good. But, I would like to specifically ask: has anyone heard of actual problems with the 375 Ruger in real heat?

I have never had a problem with the .375 ruger in the Carolina heat up to 100 def F. It will be 30 degrees cooler when I go to RSA this June.

Thank you all, for the replies (that almost sounds like I think I'm the OP... just jumping on to this thread).

The perspectives in this thread have helped convinced me that the 375 Ruger can serve the same purpose as the 375 H&H, and that based on the response from Mossberg, Howa and now other ammo manufacturers, it looks like it has a future. In terms of personal preference in the rifle, I love the M77 and the particular features of the Ruger African. And using the same 375 bullets, and with ballistics similar to the H&H, that's enough for me in terms of romanticism and traditionalism (at my budget!).

I have never had a problem with the .375 ruger in the Carolina heat up to 100 def F. It will be 30 degrees cooler when I go to RSA this June.

Good point. Africa doesn't have a monopoly on heat, although it is in a dominant market position. Especially by comparison as the South African "winter" approaches. I worked there in '95, and while I never felt cold outside, all it took was a warm sweater, I've never felt such a chill inside before or since. With no heating and thin walls, all you can do is huddle around a space heater. A real motivator to get outside and be active.

A few months before this post came to be I went looking at 375's for giraffe hunting. The 375 Ruger hadn't even been around five years and I think was still only chambered for the Ruger M77 and Hornady ammo but it wasn't fading away like other new cartridges. Add to that, it came in a left handed version (Ruger definitely knew that would help sell it) and I took the leap to it. It's now breaking ten years old, chambered in multiple rifles and factory ammo is made by three companies. So, I don't think it's going to overtake the 375 H&H but it's not going to leave either.
As for nostalgia, it's gaining that slowly but surely by its users. Just like the 30-06 did that Roosevelt used in Africa only three years after it's creation, or the Weatherby rifles and rounds Roy Weatherby took to Africa or even the 458 Win Mag and Lott rounds that aren't old by any means.

I really like the reference to Roosevelt and the then-newfangled whippersnapper of a cartridge, the 30-06.

I would choose a 375H&H loaded with woodleigh 350gr RN for the Dangerous stuff and a lighter bullet than 300gr for the other not so dangerous stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg