Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, SHAC, RW Guild
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa
I think about building a big game rifle on a Mauser m98. I was thinking about a 375 HH, but then there are the question about case lenght (COAL). Then I was looking into 375 Ruger, which have a shorter and fatter case, designed to fit standard action lenght.
So my question are; do anyone have experience with the Ruger? My intention are up to and buffalo.

Is there no class left?

You are arming yourself for the trip of a lifetime to a continent steeped in history, mystery and legend

There is no question that you should bear a caliber befitting the experience!

A 375 Ruger in Africa is akin to wearing a Grateful Dead T-Shirt to opening night at the London Philharmonic

No wait ...... was that you?

I have both a .375 Ruger and .375 H&H. The Ruger is easy to reload, very accurate, and feeds slickly with the beltless case. My chronograph tells me that the Ruger is just a bit faster with top loads, but I usually load the Ruger down to match the H&H velocity. The Ruger is a well designed modern version of the good old H&H, and seems to become more popular each year. I doubt that factory ammunition will ever be as common for the Ruger as it is for the H&H in the far off places, but both factory rounds and reloading components are easy to get delivered to your home (at least in the U.S.).

:doh2::doh2::doh2::doh2:Mr. Wolverine,

Say, I went to your web site and think I see the problem . . .. .

What is that ? Middle - Dutch?:doh2:

Bump your K98 up to a 458 win. (It'l fit in that 98 platform you have chosen) I keep saying this, if your ammo gets lost, stick with a WELL established round so you can buy it in whatever country you are hunting in.

Is there no class left?

You are arming yourself for the trip of a lifetime to a continent steeped in history, mystery and legend

There is no question that you should bear a caliber befitting the experience!

A 375 Ruger in Africa is akin to wearing a Grateful Dead T-Shirt to opening night at the London Philharmonic

No wait ...... was that you?

Dude ...... You are a poet, a humorest and a classicist! Oh yeah, and you are absolutely right.

Thank You for the compliment Mr. Red Leg and might I say what superb judge of character you are.

Lol. Did I upset some traditionalists....
I like the 375 HH, but it is a 100 year old cartridge...
And I do think mr. Craig Boddington know what he's talking about.
Meet The .375 Ruger
The language on my website are Norwegian by the way.

Norwegian....well that proves my point!

And that Boddington fellow, I think I remember buying a used Plymouth from him is 1968,

nice car if you like tail fins

Seriously, you can ballisticize this thing to death....but, it is so much more than that.

It's heritage, its tradition, its....I mean please, don't embarrass yourself like this

just put down the magazine, turn off the dvd and it is refered to as a three seven five Holland, not a threesevertyfive or a Holland and Holland

Join the club, be a part of the team, get in the game

Hell,I'm still trying to get past this whole Norwegian thing

Old round, new round or future round. It does not matter. In all my years of hunting I have NEVER seen a .375H&H, .375Ruger rifle or case kill one single animal.
I have however seen plenty animals die from a well placed .375 caliber bullet that was fired from those rifles.
In the end. Does it matter how old the design is that fired said round as long as it is 270gr doing 2680fps or 300gr at 2550fps.

And that Boddington fellow, I think I remember buying a used Plymouth from him is 1968,

Seriously, you can ballisticize this thing to death....but, it is so much more than that.

It's heritage, its tradition, its....I mean please, don't embarrass yourself like this

just put down the magazine, turn off the dvd and it is refered to as a three seven five Holland, not a threesevertyfive or a Holland and Holland

thats funny as i have heard it referred to as a three seven five H and H, and three seven five holland and holland by english gunmakers in their show rooms. :p

Old round, new round or future round. It does not matter. In all my years of hunting I have NEVER seen a .375H&H, .375Ruger rifle or case kill one single animal.
I have however seen plenty animals die from a well placed .375 caliber bullet that was fired from those rifles.
In the end. Does it matter how old the design is that fired said round as long as it is 270gr doing 2680fps or 300gr at 2550fps.

fritz i like old calibres, but i agree with you, and also its up to the individual to choose which calibre they wish to use/build a rifle in. also i am not sure about this idea of being able to go to the gunshop and buy some more ammo in africa if yours is lost. you might be able to buy off the ph if he has spare ,or some one he knows has, but as you dont have a local licence for the country i dont know if you would be able to buy any from a dealer. i know you wouldnt be able to in zambia, and as you are only allowed 100 rounds a year for each rifle there most people dont want to sell. i dont know how it works in other african countries , but would be interested if people with the knowledge of how it works in SA, namibia,tanzania, zim etc could maybe answer this.

The "what if your ammo get lost" argument is something I don't care about at all.
What if your gun is lost?
What if all your suitcases and bags are lost?
What if my bow and arrows are lost?

Well, if sh*t happens, then deal with it and find a solution.

I own a 375Ruger myself and I am very happy with it.
I am sure I would be happy with the old 375 H&H lady too, but I chose the young one.
But I would choose the Ruger again if I should buy a 375 today.

I really don't see that you need anything bigger than a 375 for buffs.

The "what if your ammo get lost" argument is something I don't care about at all.
What if your gun is lost?
What if all your suitcases and bags are lost?
What if my bow and arrows are lost?

Well, if sh*t happens, then deal with it and find a solution.

I own a 375Ruger myself and I am very happy with it.
I am sure I would be happy with the old 375 H&H lady too, but I chose the young one.
But I would choose the Ruger again if I should buy a 375 today.

I really don't see that you need anything bigger than a 375 for buffs.

WOW! i take someone on this thread has pissed you off, or you got out of the wrong side of the bed? :(

There are very-very few camps in ALL of Africa where they do not have a .375H&H and or the ammo for it. That is because it is the most universal rifle that 99,9% of PH's recommend that a client must bring or use for African hunting where DG or large plains game are hunted.

A PH does not care one little bit about the knock-down power of a client's bullet. He cares about where the client puts that bullet. For a first shot at any animal, knock-down power is not important. Accuracy and penetration is the paramount factor.

In SA you can get .375H&H ammo in about every town and if you have the temp. import permit you can buy. If you do not have the permit with you then your PH or outfitter will organize.

WOW! i take someone on this thread has pissed you off, or you got out of the wrong side of the bed? :(

No, not really :)
Sorry if what I wrote came out like that.

I am a bit tired of the "what if your ammo is lost" argument, but no one has pissed me off on this forum so far :)

Please tell me what my native language have to do with it? You quote Karen Blixen in your signature. She was Danish you know....
And the round is usually referred to as 375 Holland AND Holland magnum. Believe it or not. Do not embarrass your self....
To the rest of you, thanks for the replies. I discovered another thread about the same question, so I think I will find some answers there.

No, not really :)
Sorry if what I wrote came out like that.

I am a bit tired of the "what if your ammo is lost" argument, but no one has pissed me off on this forum so far :)

ok no probs. we all have things that piss us off !:)

Please tell me what my native language have to do with it? You quote Karen Blixen in your signature. She was Danish you know....
And the round is usually referred to as 375 Holland AND Holland magnum. Believe it or not. Do not embarrass your self....
To the rest of you, thanks for the replies. I discovered another thread about the same question, so I think I will find some answers there.

second wind i was also trying to work out what the norwegian language/"norwegian thing" is about. i think your whole post was pretty condescending , bit out of order really.

I guess if I was going through the effort to build a rifle. I'd build a .404 Jeffery...but that is me. There is nothing wrong with the young 375 Ruger. Some of us like the tradition of the 375 H&H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg