375 Ruger vs 375 HH

However, the 375 Ruger is not a short fat cartridge and shouldn't be so compared.

I agree with you!

I can definitely see a future with the 375 Ruger, 300 WSM and 416 Ruger.....the others will yet to be determined. I own a .270 WSM, it was bought impulsively!

Hey guys,,this thread turns out to be just like a good blues,,never ending,,so thought I should throw in my contribution here :whistle:
The white collars rule the gun business. "Number crunchers", spreadsheet brains without too much imagination, eyes fixed on EBITA. Cutting cost in production is high priority. The 375 Ruger is a product of this and "one size fits all" thought process. I`m NOT saying the 375 Ruger or the 416 for that matter are bad cartridges. They absolutely have their place BUT the 375 H&H is from another era and are not created with cost in mind. It is created by enthusiasts that really really knew their business and what makes a REALLY good cartridge. Those Britt's knew exactly what they where doing when they designed the 375 H&H in every aspect.
The 375 H&H have many quality's, some unique that makes it The "Queen of Mediums". Most importantly the genius belted magnum combined with a conical shape and headspacing in the rear ensures that the bullet no matter what shape or weight (within reason) enter the rifling almost like a coaxial fit. That's a unique feature. The benefits are clear. You can with a little practise shoot 270 - 300 grain SP or solids without changing zero on your sights. This has been a long well known feature of the 375 H&H, maybe it is mentioned here earlier....? This thread is quite large so I haven't read it all. Anyways, I`ve exported a couple of thousands of rounds to Tanzania to acquaintances, I`ve taken customers to the range prior to African Safari testing different kinds of ammo and I`ve tested this with 2 of my friends that also use the H&H. In a good quality rifle, this kind of performance can be expected from the H&H round. As one of my friends in Tanzania once said "I can fill the magazine with solids, put a 300 SP on top and some extra 270`s if a good antelope should appear at 3-400 yds. The H&H covers them all.
I`m sure its been said here before but as we speak top of the line rifles are being made in 375 H&H that will see use way into the next century ensuring that this cartridge is a sure survivor in the cartridge jungle(y)

I would disagree that the 300 WM will set any kind of precedent for the 375 Ruger. (1) The 300 WM had the advantage of being Winchester. (2) Ruger has no such advantage. (3) The 375 H&H has a history that folks want to buy into. Which would you rather say you shoot over your favorite beverage, a 375 H&H or a 375 Ruger?

:S Beat Dead Horse: :S Beat Dead Horse: :S Beat Dead Horse: :S Beat Dead Horse:

Winchester advantage???? Ruger has no such advantage????

Let's review: Winchester is no doubt an iconic company, but today it exists in name only, went bankrupt, naming rights and patents bought by foreign companies and builds most or all of it's guns overseas. It's "founder" was a shirt maker that simply put his name on the company. Meanwhile, Ruger is a thriving US company, manufactures it's guns in the US and was founded by a real gun guy.

Who would you rather share a camp fire and a favorite beverage with? Oliver Winchester or William Batterman Ruger?

:A Camping: :D Beers:

More dead horse:

The Winchester advantage with the 300WM was being owned by Olin Corp which had the Winchester-Western to supply any ammo they needed. Ruger had no such advantage.

Beverages with Mr. Winchester please.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread or anything, but years ago I had the pleasure of attending several meetings with Mr. Ruger Sr. After the first meeting he and I had a lengthy conversation about several topics, he was mostly interested in what hunters thought about his firearms and I really got his ear when I told him that Ruger's were the only rifles that hunted with. He knew that his line of guns needed to change to keep up with the times but you could tell that he really didn't want to change them. Anyway there was a man that I would have shared a campfire and a beverage with anytime. The last time I met with him shortly before his passing he was confined to a wheelchair, but even then he was in full command of the room and the conversation. He was a man's man, an inventor, a business man, a hunter, and a champion of the 2nd amendment and the shooting sports. I just wish that I could have spent more time with him.

More dead horse:

The Winchester advantage with the 300WM was being owned by Olin Corp which had the Winchester-Western to supply any ammo they needed. Ruger had no such advantage.

Beverages with Mr. Winchester please.

Although they are completely different companies and ownership, Ruger and Hornady have partnered to develop new and innovative guns, calibers and ammo. Olin sold off Winchester, creating US Repeating Arms, that went bankrupt and then purchased by FN. While a fireside chat and drinks with either Mr Winchester or Mr Ruger would be a fascinating experience, if I had to choose one over the other, I would pick Mr. Ruger.

A lot of difference between the two is affordability same bullet same speeds no difference in ability to take game.
As for weather the Ruger is going to fade I don’t think so two years ago I got dies for my 375 Ruger they cost $65. Now the same set is $32.00 same as the common calibers.
Yes the ammo is not as common as the H&H but what was the choice and availability of H&H in 1922?
Affordable is the difference a half inch of action is not going to be noticed easily in weight. Rifles chambered in H&H cost more in some cases a lot more. The Ruger is chambered in rifles that anyone can afford and that has brought many hunters to dig medium calibers my self included.
The Ruger will never overtake the H&H because the H&H has a 108 year head start but I’m willing to bet that there was more 375 Rugers made in the first 10 years of production than H&H’s.
If you have an H&H great it is not outdated or somehow to old to perform its job but also be happy that there is another cartridge out there to consume the same bullets so manufacturers will have to keep making/improving them.
If you have a rifle chambered in the Ruger remember that the H&H cleared the trail to all the good bullets we have.
Shawn

I would disagree that the 300 WM will set any kind of precedent for the 375 Ruger. (1) The 300 WM had the advantage of being Winchester. (2) Ruger has no such advantage. (3) The 375 H&H has a history that folks want to buy into. Which would you rather say you shoot over your favorite beverage, a 375 H&H or a 375 Ruger?

Actually, I think the comparison was spot on. The 300 H&H is a wonderful cartridge with a wonderful history. The 300 Winchester Magnum is also a wonderful cartridge with its own, much more brief but, in many ways, equally wonderful history. Is one better than the other? It depends upon how you choose to define "good" (the qualities sought, which won't be the same for everyone...as we all know, apart from ballistics, very little is of truly objective value when it comes to the subject).

The exact same can be said of the 375 H&H and 375 Ruger.

As for the fireside chat, Bill Ruger, all the way.

Bottom line the Ruger is the same thing just cheaper to make. The Remington Ultra Mags ended up dudes. So when you have a round that uses the same action as say a 7mm Mag it is just plan economic sense. 375 Ruger is here to stay and why not. The 375 H&H well be around but you will pay for that nostalgia.

I was looking at Hornady reloading brass on Midway USA website. Interesting to see how many different 375 variations of Hornady brass are out there:

upload_2018-3-28_9-16-32.png

These are the 375 versions of ammo available on Midway USA

upload_2018-3-28_9-19-31.png

Me too! Well - actually three.

Let's review: Winchester is no doubt an iconic company, but today it exists in name only, went bankrupt, naming rights and patents bought by foreign companies and builds most or all of it's guns overseas. It's "founder" was a shirt maker that simply put his name on the company. Meanwhile, Ruger is a thriving US company, manufactures it's guns in the US and was founded by a real gun guy.

Who would you rather share a camp fire and a favorite beverage with? Oliver Winchester or William Batterman Ruger?

For some reason you left out John Rigby, Harris Holland and Mr. Westley and Mr.Richards. Was that by accident or intentional?

Wonder why the 375 H&H has the highest number in brackets?
The number in brackets is the number of different brands or manufacturers. So the 6 beside the 375 H&H indicates six different brands of brass available. However, when you look at what's listed, a 375 Flanged crashed the party, so there are really on five options. Granted, that is still the most compared to the other 375s.

upload_2018-3-28_16-29-12.png

For some reason you left out John Rigby, Harris Holland and Mr. Westley and Mr.Richards. Was that by accident or intentional?

It was intentional. I've actually sat around the camp fire with all of those guys and they are boring as hell and drink all your booze. :whistle: You left off John Browning and he would be at the top of the list and Eugene Stoner, along with Mikail Kalashnikov would be interesting too (lots of vodka required).

Seriously, I was responding to @wesheltonj comparison to Winchester and Ruger, so the invite list was restricted to just those two.

I've actually sat around the camp fire with all of those guys and they are boring as hell and drink all your booze.
Well then you are older than me, I'll give you a pass!!!

I still think most all those fat cartridges that were invented for short action rifles were doomed to fail, years down the line. They didn't really improve too many things and the one thing I noticed is that they didn't cycle smooth as silk into the chamber without everything being perfect.
Hey now, keep this on the 375 nuts. Don't bash my 300WSM.
Stir the pot, stir the pot... wait... stir the pot :A Stirring:

HaHa, I love my 300wsm, but it was an impulse buy to. I was young and went for the latest, greatest hype.
If I had it to do over I would go with the WinMag. As a reloader I will keep my 300wsm happily, but hindsight and all..

This makes me ask the question if you want the power of the 375 H&H why not get a 375 H&H?

Good idea and ammo is readily available in Africa. I use 300 grain Nosler partition(at the moment).

Mr Sako!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg