375 H&H scope

Stephen Jensen

Reaction score
Hi.
Just completed our 4th safari in Africa but our first for Buff using 375.
Next year my wife will get a Buff using 375.
I currently have a 3x9 Swarovski but want to fit a 1x6/2x7 ish but with a firedot recticle for quicker acquisition.
We will also use the the scope for night critters so need a scope that can do that hence the firedot style.
One issue is that eye relief needs to be as far back as possible but still showing full image as my wife will be shooting and would prefer not to have a plastic surgeon bill.
Any help would be great.
Thanks Stephen.

Take a look at the Leupold VX6 1-6x. I have them on my 9.3x62 and .458 Lott.

Not the best, 24 mm objective lens, but pretty bright. If you’re budget will handle it, the Swarovski scopes seem brighter to me. I have a Z8 1-8x that I think would be fine at night. I can’t think of a scope with a larger objective lens, illuminated reticle, and the longer eye relief you are looking for. Others on here likely have more knowledge in that area than I do.

The other consideration is keeping the scope low on the rifle which a small objective allows. Having your head off the stock increases felt recoil and the chance of scope bite. I hate scopes with massive objective lens for that reason. Unless the stock is specifically designed for them, they are an anathema to proper shooting technique.

I have a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 on my .375 H&H.
I used it very successfully in all lighting conditions from bright to very dim on overcast days close to dusk.

It's brighter and clearer than my 50mm Leupolds; I can do with this scope what I was accustomed to doing with a 3-9x Leupold.

It does not have an illuminated dot/reticle but I swear you could hunt by moonlight if you were so inclined (and it were legal of course).

For larger game I find I don't need high magnification and scopes will (generally) be brighter as a result.

Son has the Leupold 2 by 6 36 mm on his 375 and he loves it. I used it to test out my 416 when I first got it and with the help of the scope it shot one hole groups!! His has the ridiculously thick duplex but perhaps it's available with the fire dot? The reasoning behind this scope was the slightly larger tube and light gathering qualities...

I see now the Leupold 36 mm is a 2.5 to 8 power but I believe Leupold is one of the manufacturers for an extra fee they will put any reticle you like in the scope. That said I wound up getting a trijicon 1 to 6 power 30 mm with the constantly lit iridium green dot that can be adjusted to your liking. For Leupold scopes I recommend swfa and for trijicon you can get demonstrator models on the cheap from eurooptic. You can even trade in your old scopes at swfa!

Demonstrator models were never used on a gun rather just picked up and looked through at shows

You might try and locate a EE version of the Swaro 1-6...they have 4+” of eye relief and I own 3 of them I bought as demo models and love them. Another scope I have really grown to love on a 375 is the Swaro Z6 1.7-10. Extremely versatile on a 375 and they make them illuminated as well.

Take a look at the Leupold VX6 1-6x. I have them on my 9.3x62 and .458 Lott.

Agree with the Leupold VX series but I’d go with the VX-6HD 1-6 as it has their new glass in it....loving the VX-6HD 2-12x42’s that I put on my 9.3 and 308 win. I’m getting a 375 in the not too distant future and think I’ll put one of the 2-12x42’s on it since they do great up close at 2x and more flexible with the 12x vs the 6x. I may go crazy with the 375 and get a Swarovski Z8I 1.7-13x42 with a rail mount, that is one sweet scope.

Just curious as to why you gents would want a 10 or 12 power scope on a 375? A 5 power scope is fine 4 shots to 300 yards for practical example. most dangerous game shots are less than a hundred yards and a 375 might be used as far as 300 yards for plains game targets of opportunity and probably a hundred yards less than that for any larger caliber. Are you guys salesmen?

The fact of the matter is you don't need a scope at all if you're only hunting dangerous game.

I literally crack up when I see a huge scope on a Big bore gun then the bloody "smiles" come.

I currently have a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 on my 375H&H and used it to great effect on our safari out to ~200 yards.
Suffice to say that it did the job but it could have been better.
Thing was I was wanting a little more magnification for the long shots and really want true 1x for the close stuff.
On top of that, the clarity really isn't that good.
To remedy this I'll be getting a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 with the 4A-IF reticle this winter.

I've held the Leupold VX6HD next to the Swaro Z8i, it's not even close.
I know the Swaro is expensive but you get what you pay for.
But buy once...cry once.

You guys should also consider first focal plane for best clarity and accuracy at distance only Burris offers that. I lined them all up at Euro optic in Montoursville PA including the ridiculously expensive Steiner and for hundred yard shots or less on animals with hearts as large as 5 gallon buckets the 1 to 6 power illuminated trijicon just made perfect sense. with the savings I was able to buy a car for my stepdaughter. Nothing against Leupold they do make higher-quality 1 to 6 power scopes 4 an annual car insurance payment less. I remember when the euro was worth twice the dollar so we basically overpaid for European goods. Buy American. Hunt African. Don't waste money and enjoy your life!

Both the $500 Leupold and $900 trijicon shoot one hole groups in a custom 416 and less than one inch groups in a semi custom 375. What more that do you need than that? Three of the dangerous five in the bag. The difference can pay the trophy fee on number 4...

It's funny how the prices didn't come down when the Euro was devaluated. Hmmmmm

I keep my VX 6 1x6 set just a shade under two power. I feel under that it makes the target look smaller than it is. I got a good price used but I If I was buying me I would definitely consider the 2x12 but I don’t see myself needing all that magnification. If the swaro Z8 was in the budget there would be no doubt what I would get

I currently have a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 on my 375H&H and used it to great effect on our safari out to ~200 yards.
Suffice to say that it did the job but it could have been better.
Thing was I was wanting a little more magnification for the long shots and really want true 1x for the close stuff.
On top of that, the clarity really isn't that good.
To remedy this I'll be getting a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 with the 4A-IF reticle this winter.

I've held the Leupold VX6HD next to the Swaro Z8i, it's not even close.
I know the Swaro is expensive but you get what you pay for.
But buy once...cry once.

That’s not really a fair comparison, a most honest comparison would be to hold the VX-6HD next to the Swarovski Z6I as they are direct competitors. I did and they are so close to each other it becomes a matter of preference and price. I’ll take the Leupold for the lifetime warranty as Swarovski doesn’t stand behind their product in that manner. The Z8I’s are in a different league from both of these 6x scopes, and pretty much anything else out there right now. I personally like the 1.7-13x42 Z8I, great for up close and plenty of magnification to get you where you want to be, with a little extra to spare. If I’m so close that a 1.7 or 2 times power scope is too much, I’m dropping that scope and going to open sights. That’s one reason why I mount with quick release mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg