375 H&H scope

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Stephen Jensen, Sep 19, 2019.

1. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
    Hunted:
    Australia
    Reading through and I started thinking 2 scopes and I also thought Aimpoint, maybe an aimpont and an existing scope in QR rings

I own an EoTech I don’t use it enough as it’s on a .357magnum Lever action. I’ve heard Aimpont a tough as nails. There are many reliable illuminated scopes that are affordable through to pricey. There are Trijicon too. I’m not sure I would treat any scope roughly intentionally but I hear Aimpoint can take a beating. EoTech are used by military.

The Aimpoint should fit Weaver base or Pic rail and many QR rings will do the same.

What scope you add depends on budget but non illuminates Leupold are reliable and affordable. A VX3i and an Aimpoin could easily come in under the Swarovski scope options. Depends on your budget and your preference.. using that combo also allows you to have the scope sighted with appropriate ammo to be the PG rifle. I suspect that night critters from a blind would be taken close enough to use the Aimpoint

All good in theory but I not as experienced as many others here.

C.W. Richter and Ridgewalker like this.

2. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    It may or may not fit your needs but have you considered a holographic sight? I have several from 0 power to slight magnification. I really like them for inside 100 yards, target acquisition it as fast as open sights, and in low light it’s pretty hard to beat. Eotech makes my favorites but there are several other very good ones made by many companies

Ridgewalker likes this.

3. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    I just saw your post after I posted a similar suggestion. I have multiple Eotech’s and carried one on my M4 for a living for many years. I’ve had it in rain, snow, hail, cold, dust, and heat. I never had a problem. There was a recall on them a few years back and those of us that bought our own we’re given brand new replacements by my department. I kept the old one on my duty rifle and put the new one on one of my toys that didn’t already have one on it. I still never had any trouble out of the one that was under recall.
    It’s still on that rifle and I still use it for predators. I put another on the side of an ATN Thor unit on an AR-10 that I use for feral pig management. Works great as in close quarters the Thor isn’t very practical. I get the best of both worlds on that particular rig.

Ridgewalker likes this.

4. CBH Australia

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Australia
    @gizmo I bought mine a few years back??? From a reputable dealer retail store in Australia who had a good deal on them.
    Do you know more about the recall? Mine hasn’t been used much. I had planned on a .308 pump action but mostly hunt with a bolt action occasionally taking more than one pig but that’s not in the scrub either where I had hoped to use a pump gum due to Semi auto restrictions.

5. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I don’t remember exactly how long ago it was but it was about 5 years or so ish. What we were told was that the military found that with a few of their units in some ungodly like -20 degrees F or something like that the sight wouldn’t turn on.
    I’ve had mine on my rifle at 0 F freezing my butt off at work and hunting for hours at a time and never had an issue. I don’t think it was all of them either but just a portion of them but they had a big recall for all military and law enforcement. I don’t think (don’t quote me) that the recall applied to civilians that purchased them at a store or whatnot.
    I’ve had that sight for something like 15 years or better and it’s been through hell and back and never had an issue with it.
    I bought it from the department the day my department authorized us to put them on our rifles and it’s been on it every since. When the recall happened I sure wasn’t going to turn down a free one especially considering I didn’t have to give my old one back.

6. CBH Australia

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Australia
    Thanks, I don’t want to be where it is freezing if I can’t afford to bring home a nice Grizzly Bear rug.
    I hope they did not offload the old stock on the Australian market when they did this.
    I would take a freebie and buy that pump gun if they were to hand em out.
    LE and Military’s Deserve to have reliability but so does a hunter facing down DG if he bought it from the family income.

Fastrig and gizmo like this.

7. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I like my Winchester 375 w a 1.5-5 Leupold.
    Dont need high powers for what I hunt.

C.W. Richter and bruce moulds like this.

8. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Truthfully I wouldnt worry about it and would hunt with it. As long as the batteries are good (they last a loooong time in one too) I wouldn’t think twice. My life depended on mine From the time I put it on until the day I left the PD. I never took the original off my rifle and had and still have full confidence in it.
    I guess I wouldn’t feel that way if I didn’t have a lot of years of first hand experience with them. They are absolutely TOUGH and reliable.

9. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    -20F in Australia...:ROFLMAO::LOL::D

C.W. Richter likes this.

10. C.W. Richter

C.W. Richter AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs