308 Reamer

BlueFlyer

AH fanatic
Joined
Jun 25, 2024
Messages
676
Reaction score
1,659
Location
Down under
Media
1
Hunted
Australia & New Zealand
Years ago I bought a Mauser 93 action & barrel chambered in 308W for $65. The barrel is now on its last legs.
I have a Maddco match barrel that I cut the chamber end off to make up a barrel adaptor for an Omark 44 action.
I now want to reprofile and fit the Maddco barrel to the Mauser 93 action to make a light weight back country rifle.
There are Tokar reamers out of Ukraine for US$110 delivered - some feedback is negative - has anyone experience of their product?
PTG have a basic solid pilot for US$115 or US$150 for a premium reamer - this is probably where I will go.

Or does anyone have have a 308W chamber reamer they would be happy to sell? Luckily there are no import problems getting chamber reamers into Australia.
 
I read enough bad reviews of those reamers to not even consider them as an option.

Sounds like you got a good deal either way!
 
Last edited:
I personally would avoid ordering direct from PTG. Too many horror stories about quality and shipping issues from them past few years from gunsmiths I know. Brownells has a good selection of reamers I’d look there first.
 
Opinions vary, however I have had good luck over several years on many occasions renting from 4D Rentals.
 
Opinions vary, however I have had good luck over several years on many occasions renting from 4D Rentals.
I’ve Ive heard the same. For clarification, I was referring to the Tokar brand. (One shouldn’t post while distracted! Apologies.)
 
renting from 4D Rentals
They would bve a great option - but they will not hire to customers in Australia. I have asked.
I personally would avoid ordering direct from PTG.
I used PTG for my custom 416/348 Ackley Improved reamer and it did take a long time (6mths)for it to be delivered - but I got it and the quality was first class.
I just called PTG and they have 308W in stock so I figure there should be no problems with delivery.
Brownells have taken 3 months to deliver magnum cross bolts to me in Australia, so I am not a big fan of them.
Think I am going to go with PTG - unless someone on the forum wants to sell a 308W reamer?
 
Another member on here from the NT, sent me a couple of barrels he had pulled from project rifles. They are in good condition and suitable for what I need. Thanks for considering my request.
 
Years ago I bought a Mauser 93 action & barrel chambered in 308W for $65. The barrel is now on its last legs.
I have a Maddco match barrel that I cut the chamber end off to make up a barrel adaptor for an Omark 44 action.
I now want to reprofile and fit the Maddco barrel to the Mauser 93 action to make a light weight back country rifle.
There are Tokar reamers out of Ukraine for US$110 delivered - some feedback is negative - has anyone experience of their product?
PTG have a basic solid pilot for US$115 or US$150 for a premium reamer - this is probably where I will go.

Or does anyone have have a 308W chamber reamer they would be happy to sell? Luckily there are no import problems getting chamber reamers into Australia.
Rather than buy one you can gind companies out there that "rent" reamers. That's been the least expensive way to go for me in the past.
 
Years ago I bought a Mauser 93 action & barrel chambered in 308W for $65. The barrel is now on its last legs.
I have a Maddco match barrel that I cut the chamber end off to make up a barrel adaptor for an Omark 44 action.
I now want to reprofile and fit the Maddco barrel to the Mauser 93 action to make a light weight back country rifle.
There are Tokar reamers out of Ukraine for US$110 delivered - some feedback is negative - has anyone experience of their product?
PTG have a basic solid pilot for US$115 or US$150 for a premium reamer - this is probably where I will go.

Or does anyone have have a 308W chamber reamer they would be happy to sell? Luckily there are no import problems getting chamber reamers into Australia.
@BlueFlyer
Why not just send the barrel off to MAB and have them long chamber it.
That way you can thread and headspace it yourself.
You could always use 7.62x51 reamer. Different lead angles and allows safe use of military Ammon as well without affecting accuracy with 308 ammo
Bob
 
They would bve a great option - but they will not hire to customers in Australia. I have asked.

I used PTG for my custom 416/348 Ackley Improved reamer and it did take a long time (6mths)for it to be delivered - but I got it and the quality was first class.
I just called PTG and they have 308W in stock so I figure there should be no problems with delivery.
Brownells have taken 3 months to deliver magnum cross bolts to me in Australia, so I am not a big fan of them.
Think I am going to go with PTG - unless someone on the forum wants to sell a 308W reamer?
@BlueFlyer
Check out Manson reamers. Dave does a first class product and I think he hires reamers as well.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,745
Members
169,612
Latest member
CooperChee
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top