300 or 375?

What's better for north American game? I have a hell of a deal on a 375 h&h browning. But part of me believes when I leave Alaska a 300 is a better gun? So for whitetail mule dear and elk what is better a 300 or a 375 and why?
Every tool has a job.
Can yo drive a nail with a box end wrench?
Yes you can, but I wouldn't want to frame a house using a box end wrench as a hammer.
Different game, different calibers...same story.
Most of the experienced hunters I know have at least 3-5 rifle calibers for big game, ranging from .243 to .458 and beyond.
Also, most of them started with some sort of .30 caliber, be it 308, 300WM or 30-06 because it covers a broad range of game.
That being said, a 375 will cover just about everything you want to hunt, but at at price.
The price of the firearm (cost more than a .30 cal), ammunition, recoil and some ranges won't let you shoot above a 338.
You need to ask yourself some more questions and see how you really feel about it.

My personal opinion, get a 375H&H and never look back.

I've been using a .375 H&H for the last couple of years on deer and hogs with perfect success. If I could only have one rifle it would be the .375.

I've been using a .375 H&H for the last couple of years on deer and hogs with perfect success. If I could only have one rifle it would be the .375.

What's the meat damage on a deer with one?

Very little as long as you don't like rib meat.

If you're talking about any and ALL game available for hunting within the US, I would say a .300WM is going to be the most versatile. It would not be my first choice for the big bears, but it certainly has been done.

I love my .375HH and will never sell it. But it would not be my first choice over my .300WM in North America, save for the bears.

What's the meat damage on a deer with one?

I have shot them with 260 grain Accubonds running over 2750 fps and with the Midway blem 270 grain at about 2600 fps and neither bullet produced what I would consider excessive damage even with shoulder shots. I have seen much more meat damage from 130 grain .270 bullets and 150-180 grain bullets in the .300 WM and .300 WSM. If I intended to shoot deer/pronghorn with the .30 caliber magnums I would load heavier bullets and load them at the starting charges. My favorite .30 magnum is the .300 H&H followed closely by the .308 Norma but there are no flies on any of them IMHO.

I have always told my friends that a BB in the brain is more deadly than an anvil in the ass.

A friend used to use a Marlin 30-30 that ?I scoped for him and he always shot and killed deer every year in their tracks, probably cause he shot them in the coconut.

About 6 years ago someone talked him !into a 338 for elk and ( ok...it was me) and now he body shoots and many times it's too far back and they don't just fall like they used to.

Swap your .308 for a .30/06, buy the .375 while you can get the good deal. You’ll be go to go for anything, anywhere.

Swap your .308 for a .30/06, buy the .375 while you can get the good deal. You’ll be go to go for anything, anywhere.

I already have a 30 06 I was going to give my wife since she is just as big of a hunter as me.

I use my .375 for everything.
270 gr TSX bullets do very little meat damage on impala (which I guess to be deer sized?) and work extremely well on larger game like eland.
I load them to 2500 fps which gives a flat enough trajectory and mild recoil.
Only problem is this setup is only good for hunting inside of 200 m. I live in Limpopo though so 200 m is plenty!
You could always load up some 250 gr @2800 for extra reach.

Use my 375 H&H for everything as well. Deer, moose, bear and even a few grouse.

The experience using that rifle for everything here in Alberta sure came In handy for this year's trip to Namibia. I find less meat damage than my 25 or 30 calibers on deer, and it just plain whallops the bigger stuff.

I use 260 grain accubonds, one bullet, one animal in the freezer.

North American game (White, Mule, Elk) and factory ammo were the requirements. The more versatile would be the 300WM. @mdwest summed it up perfectly.

If youre taking Alaska off the table, and are specifically asking about whitetail, mule deer, and elk... I'd go with the 300 (Im assuming youre talking about a win mag?)...

Ammo is going to be far less expensive, easier to find, and you'll have a much wider variety to chose from..

Youre going to get a flatter shot at greater distances if youre considering hunting any/all of those animals in the Western US where shots can easily exceed 250 yards (if youre inclined to take those shots)..

And a 300 is going to be lighter.. and a hell of a lot easier to tote up and down the hills and all over the rugged terrain of the Western US..

There is nothing in the lower 48 that a 300 WM wont do the trick on easily except maybe a griz.. which wasnt mentioned in your question.. and even in the event that you decide to chase griz.. more than a few have been taken by a 300WM...

Dont get me wrong... I love my 375... its currently one of my favorite rifles..

But it wont be coming out of the safe this year (or any foreseeable year in the future) for whitetail, mule deer, or elk.. I've got a 7mm Mag and a 308 that I find to be MUCH better options for those particular critters..

You can make a 375 do what the 300 does but not the other way round.

You can make a 375 do what the 300 does but not the other way round.

Well... you’re right, of course, for two very good reasons: It isn’t legal to use less than .375H&H for certain big game animals in Africa; and a .300 isn’t a stopper when things go wrong. Aside from that I merrily knock-over large numbers of big buffalo in safe situations.

Well... you’re right, of course, for two very good reasons: It isn’t legal to use less than .375H&H for certain big game animals in Africa; and a .300 isn’t a stopper when things go wrong. Aside from that I merrily knock-over large numbers of big buffalo in safe situations.

Ben, your right but your post reminded me I forgot to put the:D emoticon in my post.:A Bang Head:

Once again...there is no replacement for displacement.
Cars or firearms, still true.

An earlier post suggested the .35 Whelen. Maybe a mid bore would be the solution for you dillema. Heavier bullets and bigger bore than a .300. Not as much recoil as a .375. Suitable for most game in North America. One thing to keep in mind if you go with a .375 H&H is that handloads that are reduced in velocity may not expand properly on impact as the bullets made for .375 are mostly developed for very large heavy game and factory velocities. The bullets might not even expand in a whitetail if they are reduced too much.

If you don't reload. And aren't planning Africa or big bears 30-06. Ammo is half the cost of 300 win and 1/4 the cost of 375 factory fodder . 30-06 will work for anything in North America at less cost and recoil so you can practice more

+1

I like my 30-06s for hunting just about everything in North America.

I like to use my 375 H&H or 458WM for bigger critters like hogs, elk, moose and bears only because I have them.

Last edited:
Best for whitetails to elk? 30-06. Strange answer from a shooter/hunter who doesn't currently own a 30-06! I've had an '06 (or 10 or 15?) since Moses but have thinned the herd down to the point of huge gaps. Currently a Win 70 CRF 338-06 fills that niche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg