300 H&H Thoughts

Tucketed

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Looking for your guidance and what I should do if it was you. I have always wanted and I recently purchased a pre64 Winchester in 300 H&H built in 1951. I am not a collector but have had this deep down want for a model 70 in this caliber. Supposed to be all matching numbers and original it’s in very good to excellent condition. I want the rifle for shooting, some hunting here in US and take as a PG rifle when things calm down. I plan to scope it with a Swarovski 3-12 scope. Would you restock and save the original stock, even though I love good looking wood I have thought about a composite stock. It has an original Lyman Aperture on it now but to be honest i worry a little about my aging eyesight. Or would you keep building stories with it as all original? I first need to take possession of it and check accuracy but trying to make a plan on what to do with it when I get it and have great respect for ideas and thoughts from the forum.
Thank you
Ed

I personally would not put a composite stock on a classic rifle like that. Take it, get some battle scars. If they get bad enough, have it refinished.

Keep it in the original wood unless you are hunting mostly in alaska in the rain and snow. And as we get more mature (Not older) Put the scope you want on it and go make some memories.

In my 300 H&H I did change the stock but went to a super grade stock, as I like beautiful wood and have sandpaper and finish if I bang it up to much.

Thanks WAB and AZDave. AZDAVE who made your stock? I was thinking to get a new wood stock since my LOP is longer than standard. Or have a pad installed on the original stock. My other build has taken most of the year and didn’t want this one out of my hands through the winter. The synthetic stock doesn’t rock my boat but it was a thought.

I would say if you're going to put another pad on it, make sure you don't modify the stock, and keep the original butt plate or pad it came with.
Hard to do on most of those because of the curved surface. Regardless, DO NOT cut that stock. You will destroy its collector value. If you really think you need the length of pull (we fought WWI with 13.5 inch LOP) use one of the slip on leather pads - and take it off between hunts. Never use one of the rubber slide-on abominations - they will stain the finish.

Of course scope it. I assume it is already drilled and tapped? If you ever want to put it back in original condition just put tap screws back in.

It is a great rifle and caliber. Hunt it.

Thanks for the points on the pad, I knew not to cut it but had hoped to remove the plate and fit the pad. It is tapped for a scope I believe Winchester started tapping them in the 40s. If the rifle shoots well I won’t plan on selling it.

Keep it original, put scope on it, and take it hunting...... That said, if you do buy a second stock for it I would recommend also buy a set of screws so that the screw heads dont show the wear when you put the original stock back on it. Screw sets are easy to come by on eBay and pre-64win.com.

I personally like wood stocks. I would wear out the original stock and either get it refinished or buy another wood stock or consider a quality synthetic stock like a Bell and Carlson? My guess is you’ll never “wear out” the stock that’s on it.

Many here are nostalgic and really like wood stocks & blued metal.
Personally, I agree with them in this instance, but with qualifiers.

If the stock doesn't fit (as others have said), don't modify it.
Get a new stock that fits and go with that.
Keep the old stock in the event you want to sell it in the future.
It's your rifle...you should have it your way.

Agree with @KMG Hunting Safaris
Pictures needed when it arrives.

@Tucketed a friend had scored a deal with the winchester custom shop years ago and was kind enough to sell me two very nice supergrade stocks. I fitted and did all the finish work myself. There are several companies that you can get a 90% inletted stock from and if you have the skills to fit/finish them. Like you I have a very long LOP and kept the factory stock if I ever decided to sell it. So like several people here mentioned keep the stock original. I have owned a couple different 300 H&H (pre64, post 64, REM 721) and all of them shot very well. and the firends I have that also shoot the 300 H&H also have the same results. Take yours out and enjoy it for years and pass it on to a grand child in 50 years

@AZDAVE again thanks, looking around at stock options, good with wood but not checkering. I saw your 300 looks wonderful. I have a Jeffrey 404 build in Montana and hope to be finished soon. If my new 300 gun shoots well think I’ll invest the money and get him to stock the 300 as a twin. In the meantime I’ll see how it shoots, use it on hogs here in Florida, sell a couple of my turkey calls and put the investment back into making the 300 proper. Keeping the original stock for future. Wish I could give it to grandkids in 50 years but think it could be sooner if I want to give it to them. Oldest is 13
Thanks again
Ed

The cartridge: excellent, and it is great practice for cycling the longer actions like the 375 H&H. You won't be short stroking later when your life depends on it!
The pad--Kevin's makes a great velcro on leather pad with gel inside it. I think it is actually made by Galco, but the Galco brand is 30% more expensive. Congratulations on something you always wanted to have anyway.

PLEASE don’t take the original widow’s peak butt plate off. It is inletted at the top of the stock. So many Pre-64’s have had pads added, that its hard to find one in original condition.

I took a Pre-64 in 300 H&H to the Limpopo region on my last safari, and it was perfect for plains game. No recoil pad, and never noticed the recoil. I think due to the lightly tapered case the recoil is more push than jab. Much easier to shoot off the bench than a 300 Winchester Magnum.

When I go back to the dark continent, it will be with my 300 H&H and a companion Pre-64 375 H&H. I’ll be ready for anything.

How/what do you do to inletting of original pre-64 stock in preparation for safari conditions? Johnson's paste wax? Other interior protection?

What is the collective opinion about devcon (or =) bedding the action to original stock, bedding compound does not show?

Thank you all for your inputs. No intentions of cutting stock and ruining its heritage. Can’t wait to shoot it, though I just started reloading I have a couple of boxes from Choice Ammo on the way in 180 Accubonds and 180 Barnes TTSX. My 375 loves the 250 grain TTSX so am hopefull this gun will also. I also plan to check out heavier bulllets but have to start somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg