300 H&H Thoughts

What type of barrel & barrel contour did you go with on your build?

I can only advise that it is a Lilja @26" contour specs I cant tell you as I have since sold her to a mate that has used it to take deer with.

What type of barrel & barrel contour did you go with on your build?

I can only advise that it is a Lilja @26" contour specs I cant tell you as I have since sold her to a mate that has used it to take deer with.
Lucky guy that got that rifle. Appreciate your response.

Now you've got an excuse for another build

Ah yes,I regret selling it now something that we all are guilty of...same buddy bought a .338 and a .300 win mag from me...more regrets!
Lucky guy that got that rifle. Appreciate your response.

Now you've got an excuse for another build

Ah yes,I regret selling it now something that we all are guilty of...same buddy bought a .338 and a .300 win mag from me...more regrets!
I feel your anguish. I've got a buddy that has bought about 10 rifles from me over the past 7 or 8 years...recently including a very nice Win 70 Supergrade 300 Win Mag.

For some reason I keep shooting my 300 H&H, 35 Whelen & 358 Norma with boring lethality. They just work.

I feel your anguish. I've got a buddy that has bought about 10 rifles from me over the past 7 or 8 years...recently including a very nice Win 70 Supergrade 300 Win Mag.

For some reason I keep shooting my 300 H&H, 35 Whelen & 358 Norma with boring lethality. They just work.
@450Rigby
The 35 Whelen is boringly effective on small to large game. As long as you do your bit point file at game, pull trigger and go collect said animals. I know boring but fun.
Bob

@450Rigby
The 35 Whelen is boringly effective on small to large game. As long as you do your bit point file at game, pull trigger and go collect said animals. I know boring but fun.
Bob
Bob,
I certainly don't have the experience you have with the 35 Whelen but I will say, unequivocally, it is my favorite cartridge. It just "numbs them" when you hit 'em right.

I grew up shooting a Marlin 336 35 Remington for whitetail & hogs mostly. When I got to step up to the 35 Whelen I was in hog heaven. I love the 358 Norma also. It'll run the pants off a 338 Win Mag with 250gr Swift A-Frames or Partitions at 2850 fps behind a heavy dose of IMR-4320 or 4064. I found the 358 STA maybe a little bit too much of a good thing. I think a 375 Weatherby or 375 Ruger makes a little more sense.
Shawn

Bob,
I certainly don't have the experience you have with the 35 Whelen but I will say, unequivocally, it is my favorite cartridge. It just "numbs them" when you hit 'em right.

I grew up shooting a Marlin 336 35 Remington for whitetail & hogs mostly. When I got to step up to the 35 Whelen I was in hog heaven. I love the 358 Norma also. It'll run the pants off a 338 Win Mag with 250gr Swift A-Frames or Partitions at 2850 fps behind a heavy dose of IMR-4320 or 4064. I found the 358 STA maybe a little bit too much of a good thing. I think a 375 Weatherby or 375 Ruger makes a little more sense.
Shawn
@450 Rigby
Shawn there's something about the 35s, they just plain work with no fuss or fanfare needed

@450Rigby
The 35 Whelen is boringly effective on small to large game. As long as you do your bit point file at game, pull trigger and go collect said animals.I know boring but fun.
So is the much maligned 350 Remington Magnum but in a smaller, lighter package, i.e., the old Remmy 600 & 660 carbines. 35W ballistics stuffed into a 6lb 18” or 20” platform.

There’s no better cartridge for a short-range but hard-hitting “brush gun,” such as one would use against bears or agitated moose in rural Alaska.

2EBABA4D-B7CA-4EEB-99FA-3D8F50ECEAE4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg