.25 Caliber Rifle Cartridges and the Future of Them

It’s been a while since I’ve seen that one but I remember Abe wrestling John Wilkes Booth at the saloon, then later Mark holding a gun on him is while he tried to kill Abe.
I could be mistaken and not remember some important detail, but i remember it as one of the worst episodes.

I do need another safe, I don’t fill the last one so if I make a behind her back purchase it take her awhile to notice. I keep 20 or so scattered around the house.
Gee, i thought i was the only person to do things like that in the corner, under the bed, hidden with clothes in the walk in robe.

Quite honestly, I'd be interested in the .25 PRC if they got it to shoot the newer 130-135gr bullets at 3000-3100fps, but more for matches than for hunting.
@MerKuryM8
Forget using it for target it would be great for hunting if those projectiles are suitable for game.
A fast twist 25-06 or 257WBY would get them upto 2,800 to 3,100fps.
If you want the ultimate in long range matches the Barnes 6.5QT firing a 200gn 6.5mm projectile at 2,900fps would reach way out.
Bob

Once up on a time 50 years or so ago I owned a 257 Weatherby, I decided I didn’t like shiny wood. My lucky rifle has always been a Ruger #1v in 25-06, if I haven’t filled my tag by the last day of the season, l dig out the Ruger, blow off the dust. It has never failed to fill the freezer and one time produced a wall hanger. This rifle is the only over bore caliber I own, it was a gift from my wife so I will never sell it. I prefer 8x57 for deer.
Mike

I've already posted in this thread, but forgot to mention that my hunting buddy had a custom .257 Souper built on a short action. It was built at the same time as mine, and by the same gunsmith. While we were waiting for the builds to finish and making plans for Pronghorn hunting, we'd endlessly bicker about which was the better cartridge and likely the better rifle - my .257 Roberts or his .257 Souper.

In the end, all we figured out was who was the better shooter.

And I 'aint sayin' who ...

There are quite a few who are happy with the performance of 25 cal and similar cartridges using the Blackjack 131 Ace bullets.

It's less popular because these aren't off the shelf calibers. Just like 6,5 CM and 300 PRC proved, the most popular choices are the ones with factory ammo available.

A friend of mine recently built a .25-284 specifically for Hammer Hunter bullets. He's been working up loads for months and has settled on one that is pushing the 90 gr. Absolute Hammer at 3800 fps. That thing is a laser and hardly any recoil. It's a handy rifle build on a FN 1924-30 action.

A friend of mine recently built a .25-284 specifically for Hammer Hunter bullets. He's been working up loads for months and has settled on one that is pushing the 90 gr. Absolute Hammer at 3800 fps. That thing is a laser and hardly any recoil. It's a handy rifle build on a FN 1924-30 action.
@Thedoveshooter
That's humping, what load is he using.
I get 3,900fps with the 80gn TTSX but stick to 100gn or heavier. The 100gn ttsx at 3,660fps is 2 inches high at 100 zeroes at 300 and 8 inches low at 400. That does me fine.
Bob

Fanzoj are at another level...and I'm staying at mine. The K95 and Hubertus are much closer to attainable while still having the attributes I'm looking for. If I see them at SCI...well let's not get too excited, but I'll definitely be looking at them closely.
I have a 257 Wea barrel for my K95 and it’s one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever owned. Out at Nicks range one day with it and shot a 5 shot 12 mm group at 200 yds. That’s with a hunting load and not paper target stuff. 100 gr Ttsx with 72 grs of Rel 22 doing just on 3600 fps. With the same load and testing a Swarovski ballistic cam on my 2-12 scope I fired 2 shots at 200 , 2 at 300, at 400 and lastly 2 at 500 yds giving me a 8 shot group over 4 ranges measuring 1.7”. Not only does the ballistic cam work it also proves how accurate the 25 Weatherby is.
Ken

Honestly, if Hornady necked down the 6.5 PRC, twisted it fast and loaded it with a "new" 130+ gr ELD-X and ELD-M, it would sell very very well.
It's called the 25PRC and it's been around for a couple of years now. It's still a wildcat at this point because it has not received SAAMI approval.
1679685448993.png

Apologies. No offense meant.
None taken and no apology needed, I didn't intend to come off gruff.

The new 25 cal bullets that are coming out are a slow burn, no manufacturers are going to jump on the bandwagon until they feel there's enough demand. That said, Hornady could make the demand, they're marketing geniuses.

None taken and no apology needed, I didn't intend to come off gruff.

The new 25 cal bullets that are coming out are a slow burn, no manufacturers are going to jump on the bandwagon until they feel there's enough demand. That said, Hornady could make the demand, they're marketing geniuses.
Wasn't gruff...no worries.

Hornady had to wait nearly 10 years for the 6.5CM to gain any real traction outside of the paper punching world. I'm not sure they are willing to take that kind of risk in today's market with an even more specialized cartridge that's designed primarily as a "target" caliber. Sure, a few people will buy their ammo but the people using it are already loading so there's not a huge demand. Those target guys have their equations, calculations, measures and recipes down to a science and are not looking for anything other than the bullets they like best.

Article written years ago in TTHA…..was a study done on calibers/kills. From .223-300mag+

The .25 cartridge had the closest point of impact to recovery than any other caliber.

It was interesting & somewhat surprising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,