Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I've been looking at a fast .25 caliber cartridge for a while now. The front runner for me has always been the 257WBY because it's wicked fast, deadly, low recoil and most importantly it fits nicely into the MA bolt head I already have for my Blaser R8. Here is a list of the most often used SAAMI approved .25's in no real order other than that's how I view the popularity of them.

25-06
257WBY
257RBTS
250-3000SAV
25WSSM
25-20WIN
25-35WIN
256WM

Recently I watched a YT video stating that there is possible expansion in the .25 caliber offerings in the coming year. They include a 25CM and 25PRC, neither of which I know anything about. Not to mention our own @Bob Nelson 35Whelen who has been making a wildcat rimmed 25 based on the 303BRIT cartridge. I believe the 25CM and 25PRC will be (or have been) submitted to SAAMI for certification.

I've been know to say on occasion "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again, there is nothing new under the sun" taken from the Book of Ecclesiastes. In my hunting years I've seen more than a few cartridges wither and nearly die, just like the 25WSSM. Outside of the competition world, do these new cartridges offer anything better when it comes to shooting game animals (less than 150#) at normal hunting distances of less than 500 yards? Better barrel life? Shoot higher BC bullets? Kill game more dead than any of the others? Don't even get me started on ammo availability.

Or is it all just marketing hype for a money grab? Because that's about where I'm landing on this. Feel free to chime and let me know how you feel about the current 25 caliber offerings and what you see for the future.

If you’re talking about Spomer’s video, my take away was that the 25 hasn’t got that much attention and that a 25 Nosler would fill in thier product line. I’ve always been a fan of the 25-06 but we have no R8 barrel for that. For me, I don’t know what else I could ask for that the 25-05 or 25 Wthby can’t already do

If you’re talking about Spomer’s video, my take away was that the 25 hasn’t got that much attention and that a 25 Nosler would fill in thier product line. I’ve always been a fan of the 25-06 but we have no R8 barrel for that. For me, I don’t know what else I could ask for that the 25-05 or 25 Wthby can’t already do
Yeah, that was the video I saw. I'd be on the 257WBY train if the right deal came along, but I'm in no rush at the moment. Saving for a trip to Africa.

EDIT - The 25-06 was offered in the Blaser R93.

Not a fast 25 but one that still has a small following is 25-20 and deserves atleast honourable mention.
I did mention it in my opening post, albeit towards the bottom...but still listed.

The 25-20 is a rimmed cartridge that is used primarily in lever action rifles, but was also available in the Contender and a few other rifles as well.

As a huge fan of all things Weatherby and ‘06 derived, I am partial to both of those 25 derivatives. I am probably going with the 25-06 for my wife and kids.

Having said that, my Father-in-law has slayed thousands of Virginia deer with a 257 Roberts.

Good luck finding your 25 niche.

Years ago used the 25-06. Killed a few deer with it. Capable round. Long gone tho. Bullet selection was one thing the 25's suffer from. They still work well and do what they are designed to do.
Bruce

I've been looking at a fast .25 caliber cartridge for a while now. The front runner for me has always been the 257WBY because it's wicked fast, deadly, low recoil and most importantly it fits nicely into the MA bolt head I already have for my Blaser R8. Here is a list of the most often used SAAMI approved .25's in no real order other than that's how I view the popularity of them.

25-06
257WBY
257RBTS
250-3000SAV
25WSSM
25-20WIN
25-35WIN
256WM

Recently I watched a YT video stating that there is possible expansion in the .25 caliber offerings in the coming year. They include a 25CM and 25PRC, neither of which I know anything about. Not to mention our own @Bob Nelson 35Whelen who has been making a wildcat rimmed 25 based on the 303BRIT cartridge. I believe the 25CM and 25PRC will be (or have been) submitted to SAAMI for certification.

I've been know to say on occasion "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again, there is nothing new under the sun" taken from the Book of Ecclesiastes. In my hunting years I've seen more than a few cartridges wither and nearly die, just like the 25WSSM. Outside of the competition world, do these new cartridges offer anything better when it comes to shooting game animals (less than 150#) at normal hunting distances of less than 500 yards? Better barrel life? Shoot higher BC bullets? Kill game more dead than any of the others? Don't even get me started on ammo availability.

Or is it all just marketing hype for a money grab? Because that's about where I'm landing on this. Feel free to chime and let me know how you feel about the current 25 caliber offerings and what you see for the future.
Its all hype, the current list of 25s surely provides something to please anyone. Just what we need is yet another cartridge that brass will be scarce for. My personal choice is the good old 257rob, in my #1Ruger I get an easy 3200+ with 87gr bullets and an equally easy 2900 with 120s and that works for anything that I use a 25 for.

One cartridge I did forget to mention is the 25REM.

The 25 is making noise due to a company called blackjack. They came up with some very high BC 131gr bullets. They were also selling the barrel blanks to support it (faster twist rate). After several years Berger is now making bullets in 25cal too. 135gr that are also high BC.

If it were my money, I would have Palehorse Zero build me a 257wby with a fast twist rate to take advantage of the bullets offered today. If you want to shoot lighter bullets it will not hurt anything.

As a side note, a good friend of mine built a 25CM. It is staying subsonic out to a mile. I know it may not mean much to you. It just proves that it is a very efficient bullet.

Pretty good deal on a Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Wby. posted here recently. From what I can tell, it looks like this rifle might still be available, if you're interested.

The 25 is making noise due to a company called blackjack. They came up with some very high BC 131gr bullets. They were also selling the barrel blanks to support it (faster twist rate). After several years Berger is now making bullets in 25cal too. 135gr that are also high BC.

If it were my money, I would have Palehorse Zero build me a 257wby with a fast twist rate to take advantage of the bullets offered today. If you want to shoot lighter bullets it will not hurt anything.

As a side note, a good friend of mine built a 25CM. It is staying subsonic out to a mile. I know it may not mean much to you. It just proves that it is a very efficient bullet.
I agree with you on the PH Zero barrel of I were going with loadings above 100 grains or hand loads. The fact is I don’t reload or have a desire to do anything beyond hunting or varminting.

What is the significance of the 25CM staying subsonic beyond a mile? Did you mean supersonic?

I agree with you on the PH Zero barrel of I were going with loadings above 100 grains or hand loads. The fact is I don’t reload or have a desire to do anything beyond hunting or varminting.

What is the significance of the 25CM staying subsonic beyond a mile? Did you mean supersonic?
Yes that should have been supersonic, I would like to blame it on drinking. Only problem is I have given that up, maybe auto correct.

Don't forget the .25 Souper (.25-08).

I had put enough rounds through my .308 that I had the barrel set back and recut. Since then, it's now showing enough age it's time to consider rebarreling.
Instead, I'm thinking of switching over to .25 Souper just for a change of pace. A buddy has one and it's a hoot to shoot.

my .25 caliber rifle is a kimber montana .257 roberts and with a 2-7x compact leupold scope comes in at a few oz,s over 6 lbs and it shoots 117 gr bullets at 2900 fps with hybrid 100v powder into 3 shot groups 1-1.25 at 100 yards. the last deer i shot with it was a decent sized doe at about 130 yards with a high chest shot, didn,t go any where but down.

25-06
257WBY
257RBTS
250-3000SAV
25WSSM
25-20WIN
25-35WIN
256WM

@BeeMaa
Unless these new 25s come with a fast twists barrel to handle newer 131gn and heavier otherwise what's the point.
The 25WSSM was a good cartridge but didn't do anything the 25-06 wouldn't do better. Then som Muppet necked it up to 35 cal and mad a short arse 35 that almost matches the 358 Winchester. Why I don't know but hey what ever floats your boat.
The 25s just seem to kill game without fuss or bother and do it in dramatic fashion. My mate even said the little 25-20 killed goats and smaller fallow deer very emphatically and out all proportion to its size. The 25s became unloved with the intro of that pissant useless 243.
Bob

Used 25-06 and 257 WBY for years with great results on deer and antelope and a couple cow elk even though neither are real elk cartridges IMHO.
Built a 25SST 2 years ago, took a while to get all the components together and just haven't had time
to get it worked up with too many other projects underway (also didn't draw a single antelope tag in AZ, NM, KS or WY). The Blackjack bullets are awesome

I see new .25’s as either redundancy or just marketing hype.
I’ve used the .25/06 in a handgun and rifle for groundhogs thru mule deer. The .257 Roberts for deer. All very effectively.
NOTE: A .257 Wby barrel for the R8 coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.