.25 Caliber Rifle Cartridges and the Future of Them

Bob, there must something wrong me, I have 4 big safes and 2 gun cabinets plus a gun rack. Yes I may have a problem.
I seem to have the same problem. I had a large gun safe that was full, so I got another gun safe. Now it's full too. Every time I open the door there seems to be another gun. I told my wife I think they're breeding and multiplying like bunnies!
I was on a gun shop earlier today with a buddy of mine and something caught my eye. Maybe just one more? Think my wife will buy the bunny story again?

I seem to have the same problem. I had a large gun safe that was full, so I got another gun safe. Now it's full too. Every time I open the door there seems to be another gun. I told my wife I think they're breeding and multiplying like bunnies!
I was on a gun shop earlier today with a buddy of mine and something caught my eye. Maybe just one more? Think my wife will buy the bunny story again?
I do need another safe, I don’t fill the last one so if I make a behind her back purchase it take her awhile to notice. I keep 20 or so scattered around the house.

I had a .257 Roberts as my "deer" rifle for many years. Took a bunch of whitetails, mule deer and a bear with it. It was a Model 70 Winchester featherweight. Seemed just about right for that job. Then I got nostalgic and had to have a .250-300 Savage. A Savage Model 99 lever action takedown, and then a newer Savage M99a and later a Ruger M77 International carbine. They all scratched that itch. They did about the same job on deer as the .257. But I preferred the heavier 117-120 gr. bullets of the .257 especially when game exceeded 100 kgs/ 220 lbs. The .250's were fun, & handy rifles though.
Then I got a Sako AV .25-06. Perfection! 3000 FPS with a 120 grain bullet. Wonderful for open country, windy days, and any game smaller than elk. It became my standard "smaller" game rifle. Still is, although I only use it lately for pronghorn antleope. I have no desire to shoot an animal farther than 300 M, so super sleek high ballistic coefficient bullets are of zero interest to me. I like my .25-06. The Savage and Sako .243 rifles I dabbled with went away after my Sako .25-06 arrived.
I've been tempted lately by a Blaser K95 in .257 Weatherby. But can't get past the idea that it's "too much" case & powder capacity for the bore size. I probably won't burn out the barrel of a single shot, but going to extremes is not appealing to my nature. So I'll probably forgo the pleasure of owning a .257 Weatherby. A .25-06 does enough damage to meat as it is! This is a pronghorn buck that I shot with the .25-06 and 120 Gr. Nosler Partition. ( mature buck that had shed its outer horn sheaths already) The hole in the shoulder is the entrance wound. I like eating pronghorns. More damage to meat is not a goal of mine.
IMG_2282.jpeg

Have a 25-284 built on a 700 SA. Spits out a 100gr TTSX at 3320. Has taken a couple mountain goats, four mule deer, a few bears. Light, accurate, and kills cleanly.

Could never understand why the quarterbore wasn't more popular. The new offerings from Blackhole and BlackJack are very impressive if you have a fast twist.

I've been tempted lately by a Blaser K95 in .257 Weatherby.

I resisted the temptation of a single-shot rifle for several years. Now I’ve got two K95s with four barrels. I’ve no experience with 257 Weatherby but the rifles are great.

I resisted the temptation of a single-shot rifle for several years. Now I’ve got two K95s with four barrels. I’ve no experience with 257 Weatherby but the rifles are great.
@Opposite Pole
You need to get acquainted with a fast 25 it will give you a new perspective on hunting. A fast 25 just kills no fuss no bother just like the 35s. They just plain work.
Bob

@Opposite Pole
You need to get acquainted with a fast 25 it will give you a new perspective on hunting. A fast 25 just kills no fuss no bother just like the 35s. They just plain work.
Bob

My problem is all the rifles I have work just fine. I have rifles to cover all the huntable species on this planet. Every now and again I buy another one just because I like rifles. I was thinking my next would be a lever action in 30-30 or 45-70 but then all this talk of 25s... Anyway need a 3rd safe first.

My problem is all the rifles I have work just fine. I have rifles to cover all the huntable species on this planet. Every now and again I buy another one just because I like rifles. I was thinking my next would be a lever action in 30-30 or 45-70 but then all this talk of 25s... Anyway need a 3rd safe first.
@Opposite Pole
Instead of playing John Wayne with a thutty thutty or Quigley with a 45-70 you need a fast 25 mate.
Try life in the fast lane my friend.
Bob

I don’t know Bob, shooting down hill you can get them up to 15 or maybe 16 hundred with black. Maybe this should be under flat shooting rifles. Haha
@Flewis
I didn't say they weren't useful hunting cartridges just they AIN'T a fast 25.
Bob

@Flewis
I know the Duke use a model 92 not a 94 but ask most people and they think it's a 94 win in 30-30, but hey they can't tell shit from clay.
Bob
Yeah, well Chuck Connors as the "Rifleman" used a .44-40 to kill everything in his neck of the woods. LOL

Isn't it always interesting that they are using a rifle and or caliber that hadn't even been invented yet?

But we're not suppose to notice that.

Remember when Abe Lincoln visited Lucas McCain. He was out of the timeline by 15 years.
That was a old gent that thought that he was Lincoln

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross