.25 Caliber Rifle Cartridges and the Future of Them

Pretty happy at this point with my 25-284. Haven't run all the bullets I'd like at this point but will by spring. It's chambered with a blackjack reamer from Manson. Throated for that 131 bullet. Shoots 110-120s well at this point before getting into the 131s. Look forward to getting some Berger 133s also.

257 Ackley Improved still yields 3,450 feet per second using a 26 inch barrel. Slightly easier on barrels (I burned out not one but two
WBYs loved them and referred to them as cannons!). Very simple to fire form brass using standard Roberts factory ammo and reload, and superbly accurate as well. Would not be my first or second choice for PG but one of my favorite calibers for antelope and deer and practicing long shots on same off season on varmints. Perfect dual purpose rifle caliber. My box number at the farm is 257. Probably 375 for my retirement home as it has to be an odd number LOL

My 257 Weatherby Mark V strikes again. One more for the freezer. (y)

163607CA-E12B-4FE4-9B68-4771B6718E0E.jpeg

Pretty happy at this point with my 25-284. Haven't run all the bullets I'd like at this point but will by spring. It's chambered with a blackjack reamer from Manson. Throated for that 131 bullet. Shoots 110-120s well at this point before getting into the 131s. Look forward to getting some Berger 133s also.
What twist rate is your barrel?

An MS receiver (originally) marked 'STEYR 1907' on the side is a Y1903 'Greek contract' and was originally 6.5X54.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with a Y1903 action. They are very much the same as an M1903 action and are a perfectly viable foundation from which to build a 6.5X54 stutzen or rifle.

Very nice. You now have me thinking of a Kipplauf rifle. Something light, handy and can be broken down into 2 pieces very easily for transport. :unsure:
BeeMaa - I saw several fine break open single shots at DSC. German and Austrian makers. They look like they would make a very handy alpine rifles.

BeeMaa - I saw several fine break open single shots at DSC. German and Austrian makers. They look like they would make a very handy alpine rifles.
Excellent. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with a few of them at SCI in a few weeks.

Very nice. You now have me thinking of a Kipplauf rifle. Something light, handy and can be broken down into 2 pieces very easily for transport. :unsure:

Kipplauf, just do it.

I really like my K95s. I would love a Fanzoj but doubt I’ll ever buy one.

Kipplauf, just do it.

I really like my K95s. I would love a Fanzoj but doubt I’ll ever buy one.
Fanzoj are at another level...and I'm staying at mine. The K95 and Hubertus are much closer to attainable while still having the attributes I'm looking for. If I see them at SCI...well let's not get too excited, but I'll definitely be looking at them closely.

Fanzoj are at another level...and I'm staying at mine. The K95 and Hubertus are much closer to attainable while still having the attributes I'm looking for. If I see them at SCI...well let's not get too excited, but I'll definitely be looking at them closely.

Word of warming, if you get a nice kipplauf your other hunting rifles might start to feel neglected and abandoned. Mine do. There’s a Hubertus for sale in Poland for roughly 5000USD including Swaro Z8i 3.5-28 scope, octagonal barrel in 308Win. I need another 308, another hunting rifle and a 3rd kipplauf like I need a hole in my head but the damn thing keeps winking at me every time I open the website. It truly is a bargain, I just don’t need it. Then again I am a weak man...

If we bought guns based on needs alone, we would only have one rifle, one shotgun, one rim fire rifle and one handgun. I’d say get it, it’s calling you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If we bought guns based on needs alone, we would only have one rifle, one shotgun, one rim fire rifle and one handgun. I’d say get it, it’s calling you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
@PARA45
As I get older I find less is better. Less brain strain picking a gun from the safe equals more time spent with the rifle getting to know it. Now my son is 18 and can legally own his own rifles I have passed a lot onto him. Now I just have a lovely 22 Bruno no2, a 22K Hornet, my 25 and 35 and a 12 bore bolt gun set up for solids. Keeps me happy. Open safe grab rifle and go and shoot shit. If I'm feeling lazy I just grab the Whelen for everything.
Bob

@PARA45
As I get older I find less is better. Less brain strain picking a gun from the safe equals more time spent with the rifle getting to know it. Now my son is 18 and can legally own his own rifles I have passed a lot onto him. Now I just have a lovely 22 Bruno no2, a 22K Hornet, my 25 and 35 and a 12 bore bolt gun set up for solids. Keeps me happy. Open safe grab rifle and go and shoot shit. If I'm feeling lazy I just grab the Whelen for everything.
Bob
Bob, there must something wrong me, I have 4 big safes and 2 gun cabinets plus a gun rack. Yes I may have a problem.

@PARA45
Bob

Bob, I'm a bit younger than you, at 61, that's prob why I keep looking and buying. I like to have choices, and I believe those choices sometime bring me luck. Like the 257 Weatherby did on Saturday. :ROFLMAO: I do catch myself sometime saying, I don't need another rifle/handgun, etc. :LOL::unsure::ROFLMAO:

I do catch myself sometime saying, I don't need another rifle/handgun, etc. :LOL::unsure::ROFLMAO:
And then you remember that you belong to AH and where the hell would you be if not looking at another rifle/handgun...etc. ;)

FYI - If I had to guess, AH has accounted for at least $50K in rifles, scopes, ammo and kit over the past 5 years. And that's a GOOD thing. I appreciate all I have learned from the membership and look forward to the next 5 years with enthusiasm.

Bob, there must something wrong me, I have 4 big safes and 2 gun cabinets plus a gun rack. Yes I may have a problem.
@Flewis
You ain't got a problem. You just take longer to go hunting picking what gun to take but that's life.
Bob

Bob, I'm a bit younger than you, at 61, that's prob why I keep looking and buying. I like to have choices, and I believe those choices sometime bring me luck. Like the 257 Weatherby did on Saturday. :ROFLMAO: I do catch myself sometime saying, I don't need another rifle/handgun, etc. :LOL::unsure::ROFLMAO:
@PARA45 & @Flewis
Lucky you guns ain't women. Ifn they were man you would have some problems. Fortunately guns is cheaper than women, don't get jealous if you take another one out and you can still get a bang out of them.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!