Your Favorite Rifle Actions

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Dear Forum Members ,
As part of a new article which l am writing on " African Hunting " Forums , l wish to conduct a small survey amongst you gentlemen .
What is each of your preferred rifle actions ? You can only name a maximum of 3 , but not more .

For example , l will start with my own . Based on the rifles which my clients would bring to India for shikar in the 1960s and some examples which l have seen in modern times , my personal favorites are :
1) Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 action
2) Pattern 14 Enfield action
3) Mayfair magnum Mauser action

I do hope that you all will take a little time to contribute to my survey.

Yours sincerely ,
Major Poton Khan ( Retired )

Bolt gun - Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester
Lever gun - Winchester 1886 and 1895 = both are great!
Double rifle - Beretta (forgot the model number)

Winchester 70 bolt.
Marlin 94 lever.

DG-98 Mauser, Winchester 70 (pre 64), MRC, Kimber...all pretty much the same IMO
PG, non-dangerous, almost any push feed. They have excellent lockup which seems to give a bit more consistent accuracy and don’t torque the bullet/case connection when feeding. IME
Sorry Major for the number, but most are so similar I could use any without a problem. My concern is the reliability of the rifle in hand. I have seen failures in most brands and have fixed or had them fixed (or gotten rid of them!)

Looking forward to your article!

As a left-handed shooter my options have been limited. Based on my experiences with left-handed rifles I would say (in no particular order):
Ruger M77 Hawkeye
Winchester M70 Classic
CZ 550 Safari Magnum

I'll be a contrarian

Blaser R8 - for anything
Mauser 98 and clones - for anything
Blaser S2 - for when a double rifle makes sense

I'll be a contrarian

Blaser R8 - for anything
Mauser 98 and clones - for anything
Blaser S2 - for when a double rifle makes sense

I stopped by the Blaser stand at DSC Saturday and had the young woman there explain and show me how the R8 action, trigger and magazine box and the entire rifle assembles and disassembles. Not only was it educational, but now when you guys that praise the R8, are comparing notes and making recommendations to other potential buyers of the R8, I fully understand what you are talking about. Much easier to understand your Blaser lingo now that I have seen all of the parts laid out on a table!

Other than that...
M98 and clones

Last edited:
If customs are included, these over mass produced ones.
#1. Kelbly Atlas Tactical
#2. Stiller Predator
#3. Pierce Steel

Mauser 98
Colt Lightning slide-action
Falling-block (Sharps or Winchester High Wall)

Model 70--and I will stand up for both the pre 1964 models and the current (after 2010) models--I own both and except for the 50 plus years of wear, you couldn't tell them apart. Trigger might even be better on the new ones.
Mauser M98 Magnum

I'll add that at the DSC show in Dallas this weekend I took a closer look at the Verney Carron double rifles. I have a Chapuis double, which I love, but I had never handled a VC. The round action PH model is a really beautiful rifle and one that I would definitely consider if I were in the market for another double.

Poton Bhai , I bet that it will be a marvellous article ! My personal favorites would have to be :
1 - FN Mauser action ( pre 1970 with the bolt guide )
2- BRNO ZKK 600 action
3- Granite Mountain Mauser action

Since you asked only for three , l will leave it at that , otherwise l will also include the Winchester Model 70 ( Control round feed ) and the Heym Magnum Mauser action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg