Your favorite 2 rifle and 1 shot gun combination

Oh , my . With your vote , the .400 series voters have now surpassed the .375 Holland & Holland magnum series voters by 2 voters .
By the way , these are excellent choices.
Any particular preference as to the make and model of your rifles ? John Rigby and Co. perhaps ?
The reason l made it 2 rifles and a shot gun was to force posters to have to vote for 1 plains game rifle and 1 dangerous game rifle.

It's a good question you have asked by making it two rifles and a shotgun. ... Yes they would be made by Rigby. I have been lucky enough to own a few Rigby rifles. Paul Roberts who used to own Rigbys is a good friend of mine and I have known Marc newton who runs Rigby now since he started working for Paul in the old days...the list is I think 4 or 5 different. 416 rifles. .the last new .350 Rigby Paul made before he sold the company. ..two .275 rifles...a .470 side lock....which during as I put it a brain fart I sold it...there is a thread on here somewhere showing it...and a rechambered 350 Rigby rimmed bolt action converted to 9.3x74r that I had done for my son. I only have one of the 275 rifles left. But its the last Rigby Paul built from serial numbers he was allowed to use after the sale...and he built a copy of one of WDM Bells rifles using the specs he has from the copies of the records he kept. So neat little rifle . Have a couple of rifles modified by his people as well. Love reading your history. .keep it up. You and @Kawshik Rahman bring another dimension to this site ..giving stories from another time when India and other Asian countries were also big game hunting destinations. ...thank you

I would also like to say that you and @Kawshik Rahman have a standing invitation to visit us in Zambia and be our guests at Takeri and maybe some fishing on the zambezi at kingfisher

Last edited:
It's a good question you have asked by making it two rifles and a shotgun. ... Yes they would be made by Rigby. I have been lucky enough to own a few Rigby rifles. Paul Roberts who used to own Rigbys is a good friend of mine and I have known Marc newton who runs Rigby now since he started working for Paul in the old days...the list is I think 4 or 5 different. 416 rifles. .the last new .350 Rigby Paul made before he sold the company. ..two .275 rifles...a .470 side lock....which during as I put it a brain fart I sold it...there is a thread on here somewhere showing it...and a rechambered 350 Rigby rimmed bolt action converted to 9.3x74r that I had done for my son. I only have one of the 275 rifles left. But its the last Rigby Paul built from serial numbers he was allowed to use after the sale...and he built a copy of one of WDM Bells rifles using the specs he has from the copies of the records he kept. So neat little rifle . Have a couple of rifles modified by his people as well. Love reading your history. .keep it up. You and @Kawshik Rahman bring another dimension to this site ..giving stories from another time when India and other Asian countries were also big game hunting destinations. ...thank you

I would also like to say that you and @Kawshik Rahman have a standing invitation to visit us in Zambia and be our guests at Takeri and maybe some fishing on the zambezi at kingfisher
Thank you so much for your very kind offer , Spike T . It will be my privilege .
I actually do have an African safari planned and l am actually saving the funds for it , so that l may go before l turn 83 . It has been my life long dream to shoot a blue wildebeest and an African lion . I also would like to do it with a .416 Remington magnum calibre rifle ( preferably a Winchester Model 70 , if the outfitters can provide 1 ) .
Kawshik , as far as l know , has the same desire . But he wants to shoot a gemsbok and a bull elephant . He also would like to do it , using a .460 Weatherby magnum calibre rifle ( which he always dreamt of trying , but none of his clients ever brought 1 ) .
By the way ... 9.3 × 74 R is a rimmed cartridge . It indeed takes a very good gunsmith to make rimmed cartridges feed properly in a bolt rifle. Did Rigby do the rechambering as well , Spike T ?

Dear major Khan,
Now i must say, i look forward to Kawshiks and your report, on your next african hunt, and sincerely hope you will make your dream hunt come true!

Apologies slight detour ...but lvw i was thinking only the other night how much a round body VC with .450 NE barrels. .9.3x74r barrels. ..7x65r barrels and 20 bore barrels would cost......ahhhh....dreams. ...or more likely hallucinations. ..:D:D

Nice combinations there.

I am also looking at a O/U setup from Antonio Zoli.

Which would be 450/400 NE, 9.3x74R, 7x57R and then a set of 12ga shotgun barrels. If I get the 450/400NE I could even drop the 9.3x74R.

I see the Zoli is also available with the cocking device safety such as the Krieghoff. The VC is beautiful, the Zoli much more affordable but also has a very strong action, tested to double normal working pressures.

For Elephant work I will keep the 500 Jeff

20ga is not a good option for me as 12ga is much more available.

Dear major Khan,
Now i must say, i look forward to Kawshiks and your report, on your next african hunt, and sincerely hope you will make your dream hunt come true!
By God , Mark Hunter l will make it happen . From what l have read , .416 Remington magnum is not too rare in Africa among outfitters.

Thank you so much for your very kind offer , Spike T . It will be my privilege .
I actually do have an African safari planned and l am actually saving the funds for it , so that l may go before l turn 83 . It has been my life long dream to shoot a blue wildebeest and an African lion . I also would like to do it with a .416 Remington magnum calibre rifle ( preferably a Winchester Model 70 , if the outfitters can provide 1 ) .
Kawshik , as far as l know , has the same desire . But he wants to shoot a gemsbok and a bull elephant . He also would like to do it , using a .460 Weatherby magnum calibre rifle ( which he always dreamt of trying , but none of his clients ever brought 1 ) .
By the way ... 9.3 × 74 R is a rimmed cartridge . It indeed takes a very good gunsmith to make rimmed cartridges feed properly in a bolt rifle. Did Rigby do the rechambering as well , Spike T ?

When Rigby was the Mauser agent for UK they got Mauser to make them a small batch of actions specially for the rimmed 400/350 round. Odd one still comes up for sale but I think the majority were rechambered to 9.3x74r

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400/350_Nitro_Express

Nice combinations there.

Which would be 450/400 NE, 9.3x74R, 7x57R and then a set of 12ga shotgun barrels. If I get the 450/400NE I could even drop the 9.3x74R.

I see the Zoli is also available with the cocking device safety such as the Krieghoff. The VC is beautiful, the Zoli much more affordable but also has a very strong action, tested to double normal working pressures.

Will have to check them out. Yup 12 bore more practical but I like 20 for birds. But here is to hallucinations :D:D Beers:

Being left hand and left eye dominant, my choices are based on what I have at hand...
1--browning left hand a bolt stainless stalker 7mm Rem Mag with 175 grain Swift A frame handloads, rifle action and barrel have been cerakoted to dull the color to a forrest green (with a suppressor from SilencerCo to reduce animal disruption and maintain my hearing), with 148 grain Barnes TTSX handloads for the smaller variants of plains game.
2--browning a bolt stainless stalker 375 H and H magnum, with matching trigger pull and length of pull and bolt throw as the 7 mag, also left handed, with 300 grain swift a frame factory loads.
3--shotgun is either a 20 gauge over under Stoeger or my dad's ancient Savage SxS.
The first two have had great success in RSA. I have not hunted birds on safari--however, my 12 YO son (at the time) shot guinea fowl with a suppressed 22 mag--not much meat destruction and quick recovery!

I have enjoyed reading your reports and wish you great success and swift travels to Africa!

Spike T
I will be honored to meet such a gentleman as yourself. You were one of the first friends l ever made on these forums . Does Zambia offer bull elephants or at least tuskless cow elephants ?

Nice combinations there.

IvW
The .500 Nitro Express calibre double barrel rifle which you desire ... Will it be an over under as well ?

I can only comment on the rifles I've used in anger, so from my current battery I'd go:
1 - Tikka M690 deluxe in .270win. Blue and walnut and shooting Hornady 145gr ELD-X reloads.
2 - Blue and walnut Winchester M70 CRF (new version, not pre-64) in 375H&H shooting 300gr Barnes TSX reloads. I'd probably need to sort out a solid for it as well.
3 - Shotgun. 12 bore Beretta Silver Pigeon, steel proofed, 3" chambers, Multi choke. Not the most exciting, but it's versatile, reliable and I'm competent with it.

Being left hand and left eye dominant, my choices are based on what I have at hand...
1--browning left hand a bolt stainless stalker 7mm Rem Mag with 175 grain Swift A frame handloads, rifle action and barrel have been cerakoted to dull the color to a forrest green (with a suppressor from SilencerCo to reduce animal disruption and maintain my hearing), with 148 grain Barnes TTSX handloads for the smaller variants of plains game.
2--browning a bolt stainless stalker 375 H and H magnum, with matching trigger pull and length of pull and bolt throw as the 7 mag, also left handed, with 300 grain swift a frame factory loads.
3--shotgun is either a 20 gauge over under Stoeger or my dad's ancient Savage SxS.
The first two have had great success in RSA. I have not hunted birds on safari--however, my 12 YO son (at the time) shot guinea fowl with a suppressed 22 mag--not much meat destruction and quick recovery!

I have enjoyed reading your reports and wish you great success and swift travels to Africa!
Firstly , you are an extremely lucky father to have a boy who can shoot winged game with a .22 Winchester magnum rim fire. I learnt how to use a .22 Long Rifle calibre rifle to shoot baited pigeons , when l was already 55 years old ! Your boy will become a great sports man some day .
Regarding your choices , l am familiar with all 3 of the firearms which you have mentioned . The 7 mm Remington magnum is my 3rd favorite plains game calibre . The first goes to the .30-06 Springfield which l have a very strong admiration for .
The .375 Holland and Holland magnum is my favorite all purpose rifle calibre of all time.
I love Savage shot guns . During my time , clients used to call them " Fox " shot guns .
Different names for the same brand , perhaps ?
Thank you so much for appreciating my writings.

I can only comment on the rifles I've used in anger, so from my current battery I'd go:
1 - Tikka M690 deluxe in .270win. Blue and walnut and shooting Hornady 145gr ELD-X reloads.
2 - Blue and walnut Winchester M70 CRF (new version, not pre-64) in 375H&H shooting 300gr Barnes TSX reloads. I'd probably need to sort out a solid for it as well.
3 - Shotgun. 12 bore Beretta Silver Pigeon, steel proofed, 3" chambers, Multi choke. Not the most exciting, but it's versatile, reliable and I'm competent with it.
I would rather have practical over exciting and you have a most practical battery .
Regarding solid bullets for your .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre Winchester Model 70 , have you considered Rhino monolithic bullets ? I have read only praises about their performance in the field .

Krieghoff Classic Big Five, double barrel rifle in 9,3x74R. Swift A-frame and Woodleigh Hydro-Solid bullets.
Krieghoff Hubertus, single shot rifle in 6,5x57R. Bullets similar to Nosler Partition.
I’m not interested in wing shooting, have sold my shotgun many years ago.

Krieghoff Classic Big Five, double barrel rifle in 9,3x74R. Swift A-frame and Woodleigh Hydro-Solid bullets.
Krieghoff Hubertus, single shot rifle in 6,5x57R. Bullets similar to Nosler Partition.
I’m not interested in wing shooting, have sold my shotgun many years ago.
Oh , my . Now , we have 4 voters who chose a double barreled rifle till now .
I have seen the 9.3 × 74 R being used by 2 of my clients in continental double barreled rifles . One was an over under.
One was a side by side.
It performed really well on 200 pound forest panthers with German soft point cartridges.

Fast Fellers: Steyr CLII - 8x68S - 220 Grain Woodleigh 3050 FPS - Leupold 2.5 x 8

Mean Fellers: Sako Brown Bear - .450 Rigby - 500 Grain Barnes TSX @ 2500 FPS - Leupold 1.5 x 5. This gun requires a good dental plan, and a few extra brain cells.

Winged Fellers: 12g Benelli Super Black Eagle if they allow semi-auto. Over Under Browning Citori otherwise.

Might swap out the 8x68 for a Sako in .375, or a .300 Weatherby Vanguard on the next trip. Buying guns/gear is half the fun.

Fast Fellers: Steyr CLII - 8x68S - 220 Grain Woodleigh 3050 FPS - Leupold 2.5 x 8

Mean Fellers: Sako Brown Bear - .450 Rigby - 500 Grain Barnes TSX @ 2500 FPS - Leupold 1.5 x 5. This gun requires a good dental plan, and a few extra brain cells.

Winged Fellers: 12g Benelli Super Black Eagle if they allow semi-auto. Over Under Browning Citori otherwise.

Might swap out the 8x68 for a Sako in .375, or a .300 Weatherby Vanguard on the next trip. Buying guns/gear is half the fun.
Fascinating choices. I hear a good deal about the .450 Rigby . It is a relative newcomer to the world of sporting cartridges. How is it , as a cartridge ?
Mannlicher rifles are very well made . During my time , l had many clients bring them in .256 Mannlicher and .375 Nitro Express . Back then , they used to have a rotary magazine . New models , according to what l have read on the internet, now use a box magazine.

I would choose a Czech trio that I have already:
For big game, CZ550 AHR upgrade #3 in .375 H&H and with a Karl Kaps fixed 4x scope in Talley QD mounts, and good open sights. Loaded with 300 gr. Swift A frames, or Barnes TSX for most game and flat nosed brass solids for the biggest game.
For plains game, a light and trim CZ ZKK600 30-06 Customized by Chris Griesbach, with custom stock and metal work, 1.5-6x Meopta scope in Talley QD mounts, also equipped with a peep sight and loaded with Norma Oryx 180 gr.
For birds, a rather plain but very rugged and well fitted and balanced Zbrojovka Brno ZP49 12 ga. 2-3/4" SxS sidelock with 28" barrels, IC/ Mod, (1/4 - 1/2 choke) straight grip stock. Ammunition varies with species hunted, but I mostly use #6 shot, and moderate field loads.
I could reasonably hunt the world with those three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg