Your favorite 2 rifle and 1 shot gun combination

Winchester model 70 classic stainless in .375 H&H with hand loaded 300 grain Swifts for plains game. Custom .416 Rigby on Dakota 76 action with 400 grain Swift hand loads for DG.
Remington 1100 12 gauge 2 3/4” modified choke, with appropriate shot as needed.

For PG, a .338 Win mag loaded with a Barnes 225 gr TTSX.
For DG, a Ruger Alaskan in .416 Ruger stoked with Barnes 400 gr TSX and Banded Solids. The 20” barrel makes it a great handling rifle with CFR.
Shotgun: 12 ga Browning Cynergy

My light rifle for plains game: Model 70 Super Grade 300 win mag and Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 200 grain ammo. (Already taken more than a dozen animals in Africa with it)
Big Bore Rifle: My new John Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby with Federal Swift A-Frame 400 grain ammo. (I hate to leave my Chapuis 375 H&H double rifle behind, but you said only three guns including the shotgun.)
For wingshooting: My Beretta SL3 20 gauge with Winchester high brass, 1 ounce #6. (For those who haven't seen one yet, go to Beretta's website and look at the premium shotguns. The SL3 is their beautiful new premium game gun. )

Winchester model 70 classic stainless in .375 H&H with hand loaded 300 grain Swifts for plains game. Custom .416 Rigby on Dakota 76 action with 400 grain Swift hand loads for DG.
Remington 1100 12 gauge 2 3/4” modified choke, with appropriate shot as needed.
Very interesting choices . You are the first commenter who listed a .375 Holland and Holland magnum calibre rifle as his light rifle .
I read a book once , called " Horn of the Hunter " . The author 's White Hunter had a .416 Rigby Bolt action rifle.

For PG, a .338 Win mag loaded with a Barnes 225 gr TTSX.
For DG, a Ruger Alaskan in .416 Ruger stoked with Barnes 400 gr TSX and Banded Solids. The 20” barrel makes it a great handling rifle with CFR.
Shotgun: 12 ga Browning Cynergy
I find the .338 Winchester magnum an excellent bear cartridge .
May l ask how the Browning Cynergy compares to the Citori model ? I see many Browning Cynergy over unders in the firearms shops here , in Bangladesh recently.

My light rifle for plains game: Model 70 Super Grade 300 win mag and Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 200 grain ammo. (Already taken more than a dozen animals in Africa with it)
Big Bore Rifle: My new John Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby with Federal Swift A-Frame 400 grain ammo. (I hate to leave my Chapuis 375 H&H double rifle behind, but you said only three guns including the shotgun.)
For wingshooting: My Beretta SL3 20 gauge with Winchester high brass, 1 ounce #6. (For those who haven't seen one yet, go to Beretta's website and look at the premium shotguns. The SL3 is their beautiful new premium game gun. )
An English bespoke rifle , as your large bore . Truly the most refined firearms makers in the world .
A client of mine used to own a marvellous .30-06 Springfield calibre custom Mauser , built by John Rigby and Co. It was excellent for shooting panthers with 220 grain Remington Core Lokt soft points.

Rigby 275, 175gr Nosler Partitions,
Tikka T3 lite in 22/250, 50gr. Sierra Blitzkings,
Bonehill 28” boxlock ejector in 16 bore.

A few other toys but those are my favorites.

The fudge factor is huge if you allow switch barrel rifles or double rifles with extra set of shotgun barrels, or even combination guns. One could even have a single combination gun of 12 or 16 ga, plus large rimmed caliber rifle and additional small bore rifle. What I do have is 375 Sako AV, 3006 Mannlicher Schoenauer, and choice of Funk drilling or Beretta extra lusso auto for the shotgun. My only regret would be....no .22!!!!

Rigby 275, 175gr Nosler Partitions,
Tikka T3 lite in 22/250, 50gr. Sierra Blitzkings,
Bonehill 28” boxlock ejector in 16 bore.

A few other toys but those are my favorites.
Ah , l see you chose a .275 Rigby as your larger bore . I never expected this 1

The fudge factor is huge if you allow switch barrel rifles or double rifles with extra set of shotgun barrels, or even combination guns. One could even have a single combination gun of 12 or 16 ga, plus large rimmed caliber rifle and additional small bore rifle. What I do have is 375 Sako AV, 3006 Mannlicher Schoenauer, and choice of Funk drilling or Beretta extra lusso auto for the shotgun. My only regret would be....no .22!!!!
Okay , l allow you . List your choices at ease .

I find the .338 Winchester magnum an excellent bear cartridge .
May l ask how the Browning Cynergy compares to the Citori model ? I see many Browning Cynergy over unders in the firearms shops here , in Bangladesh recently.
The Cynergy has a little lower profile receiver. I had narrowed my choices to the Cynergy, a Franchi Instinct and a Beretta 686. The Cynergy fit and felt the best to me. It was a retirement present to myself.

7CDE3108-3682-4EA9-AD20-8A0CA4B8947B.jpeg
8A19030D-CEFA-44FF-85D8-25FA5D4ACF7E.jpeg
AE5B8247-FAD0-488F-8015-3D4484F51A9D.jpeg
Ah , l see you chose a .275 Rigby as your larger bore . I never expected this 1
You said favorite ! I have a 375 and another 7x57 but the aforementioned are my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think mine would be my model 70 375 crf loaded with 300 swifts or if the were available 340 grain rhinos.
next is my pre 64 featherweight 30-06 loaded with 180 grain swift A frames
Then a Winchester model 12, 12 gauge 28” barrel with a modified choke.

I think mine would be my model 70 375 crf loaded with 300 swifts or if the were available 340 grain rhinos.
next is my pre 64 featherweight 30-06 loaded with 180 grain swift A frames
Then a Winchester model 12, 12 gauge 28” barrel with a modified choke.
Why , Master Smith , you chose both the rifles which l chose.

Ok, i would take a 7mm-08 for PG small game. Tikka T3 in lieu of not being able to fund a bespoke 7x57 or the like.
I have .375H&H in CZ550 so thats in. I would probaly use Australian made Wooleigh projectiles
I own a ATA 12ga under and over. I would source shotshells in the country of destination.
The ATA is a Turkish copy of the Beretta 686 with choke tubes.

Ok, i would take a 7mm-08 for PG small game. Tikka T3 in lieu of not being able to fund a bespoke 7x57 or the like.
I have .375H&H in CZ550 so thats in. I would probaly use Australian made Wooleigh projectiles
I own a ATA 12ga under and over. I would source shotshells in the country of destination.
The ATA is a Turkish copy of the Beretta 686 with choke tubes.
Alright ,
So a .375 Holland and Holland magnum bolt rifle.
A .275 Rigby
And a 12 calibre Over Under . Sensible choices .

Fun question! My battery is still a work in progress, so I hope you approve of my participation. The dream is these two that I have:
Brno Zkk 600 chambered for 308 Norma Mag. Bullets are 149gr CEB Raptors;
Browning Citori o/u 12 gauge;

And the soon to be Brno ZKK 602 chambered for 400 H&H with the bullet TBA. At this stage it looks like Barnes 300gr tsx, CEB Raptor 370gr and CEB 400gr solids, but testing will decide that. If suitable Swift A-Frame too.

Fun question! My battery is still a work in progress, so I hope you approve of my participation. The dream is these two that I have:

And the soon to be Brno ZKK 602 chambered for 400 H&H with the bullet TBA. At this stage it looks like Barnes 300gr tsx, CEB Raptor 370gr and CEB 400gr solids, but testing will decide that. If suitable Swift A-Frame too.
Any

Any discussion is very welcome .
A .30 calibre as your light rifle and a .400 Calibre as your heavy is very sensible .
I only have 2 questions :
1) How does the .308 Norma compare with the .308 Winchester ( as l am familiar with the latter )
2) How does the .400 Holland and Holland compare with the .450/400 Nitro Express ( which l have actually seen used by a client in 1961 )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,