WTB single shot 410

Hedge774

AH legend
Joined
Aug 18, 2025
Messages
2,351
Reaction score
3,782
Media
4
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Australia/NZ
1
Hunted
Limpopo, South Africa
Hey fellas!
I know this is an unusual (for me at least) request. I'm looking for a .410 single shot (Think H&R) shotgun for my wifey and sister in law to learn to shoot without being scared for their collar bones. I have looked on GI and GB and either I've lost touch with reality, or the sellers have taken up robust drug habits. If you have one (It doesn't have to be H&R, just not composite, please.) let me know.
Thanks as always,
Hedge
 
I was in same situation last year. Finally just broke down and bought a new Henry. Been a great gun so far.
Same situation for me as well. Looking forward to trying out my new Henry, picked up from my LGS last week. Handled a Steven's Model 301, did not care for the safety on it. Good luck on your search for a .410.
 
Rossi used to sell a .410/.22 combination single shot. Not sure if they still do.
You might also check out proxibid for some auctions that will have them as well.
 
I have a Steven's over under 22/410 that my grandfather and his two brothers called the "stewpot gun." That's what they grocery shopped with. Totally different era...
 
I have a Steven's over under 22/410 that my grandfather and his two brothers called the "stewpot gun." That's what they grocery shopped with. Totally different era...
The old Model 24's, I took my first animal with a 22/20ga.

Personally I use a Steven's 301. Red dot on top, extended choke, it's killed a pile of Turkey's over the years.
 
The old Model 24's, I took my first animal with a 22/20ga.

Personally I use a Steven's 301. Red dot on top, extended choke, it's killed a pile of Turkey's over the years.
That's awesome!
 
Why not get an over/under and add a little weight to the shotgun? They can load just one barrel if they (or you) want and the weight will help mitigate the recoil. Might turn into a turkey gun that you can put different chokes in, SKEET for close and XF/TKY for far.

Not a bad piece of wood on it either.

GB CD 202 O/U
 
Why not get an over/under and add a little weight to the shotgun? They can load just one barrel if they (or you) want and the weight will help mitigate the recoil. Might turn into a turkey gun that you can put different chokes in, SKEET for close and XF/TKY for far.

Not a bad piece of wood on it either.

GB CD 202 O/U
I was going to say a 28 gauge would be a nice mild shooter and better for wingshooting
 
Tennessee, here. I love the double, but I am in debt to some of our brethren here. And honestly, I'm scared of them. I'll have to hold off on the double for now. (You bunch of evil enablers)
 
I go to the gun shows often in Texas. I’ve seen Winchester single shot .410s (Model 37?) with the scrollwork on the receiver for about $250. They were pushing $400 for a while.

I’m sure Tennessee has their fair share of shows. Might be a good place to look. Be happy to keep an eye out for you.

My suggestion though would be to buy a 20ga semi auto for teaching them. I’m somewhere around 300 new shotgun shooters taught. The semi auto eats up the recoil vs. a single shot, you’ll have more success which keeps them interested, and it won’t be thrown in the back of the safe and forgotten after a few shots.
 
Last edited:
I go to the gun shows often in Texas. I’ve seen Winchester single shot .410s (Model 37?) with the scrollwork on the receiver for about $250. They were pushing $400 for a while.

I’m sure Tennessee has their fair share of shows. Might be a good place to look. Be happy to keep an eye out for you.
I appreciate that!
 
I go to the gun shows often in Texas. I’ve seen Winchester single shot .410s (Model 37?) with the scrollwork on the receiver for about $250. They were pushing $400 for a while.

I’m sure Tennessee has their fair share of shows. Might be a good place to look. Be happy to keep an eye out for you.

My suggestion though would be to buy a 20ga semi auto for teaching them. I’m somewhere around 300 new shotgun shooters taught. The semi auto eats up the recoil vs. a single shot, you’ll have more success which keeps them interested, and it won’t be thrown in the back of the safe and forgotten after a few shots.
What he said, or .410 single shots tend to accumulate at pawn shops.
 
I just looked on gunbroker “H and R 410” there are about 20 options for beautiful single shot ones for $200-350 buy it now and ones with no bids… could easily pick up
 
I have a Steven's over under 22/410 that my grandfather and his two brothers called the "stewpot gun." That's what they grocery shopped with. Totally different era...
Stevens 22/410 has probably killed more animals than any gun ever made.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,660
Members
169,801
Latest member
KieraDeVis
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top