AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Hello all,

I was browsing through my latest GSS (Global Sporting Safaris) outfitter catalog, and noticed they had a "prize code" on the address box. Typed in my code, and what do ya know, I won a plains game hunting package in South Africa. Based on the return email I received, I won a plains game package for three hunters (worth $9,300), and I believe the outfitter is Theron African Safaris.

Being my skeptical self, it seemed to good to be true, so here is what it actually is:
All costs are covered, except for flights and trophy fees for 7 hunting days. Basically, the daily fee is waived, which I'm guessing is $300 to $500 per day. In order to book this hunt, I have to put up a $500 down payment within two months (goes towards trophy fees), and can book a hunt for the 2019, 2020, or 2021 season.

I've always been planning on getting back to Africa, but I was holding out for dangerous game hunt (I hunted the eastern cape in 2014). That being said, if I can find two others to travel with during the 2020 or 2021 seasons, I would definitely go and get a few more plains species off my bucket list.

If anyone is interested, please PM me on this site. I would be glad to email you all the details and relay all the info I have received.

Thanks,
Preston

Last edited by a moderator:
So is each person in for $3100? Plus trophy fees? Or just trophy fees?

Next question will be: What are the trophy fees?

I checked Theron's website...no trophy fees are listed. I'm guessing they are similar to others in SA, but I will request a list from GSS, and will post it when received.

Use caution. Take a good long hard look at the trophy fees. Sometimes there are good places to go that you wind up cheaper by paying the day fees..... How big are the properties he hunts? What is the trophy quality? Who is the PH? Ask for references and check them out very carefully. Might have a great deal or a bum deal. Need some more details.
Bruce

I checked Theron's website...no trophy fees are listed. I'm guessing they are similar to ......

That is the kiss of death. Assuming they are similar. I have seen scaled fees for Kudu going north of $6000.00 in these “free” hunts.
Check them out and I hope you did get a good deal.

Yea..... I'm guessing everyone "wins" that prize.... Very typical South African marketing plan.

Get the trophy fees in writing. And the size of the property. Then compare total costs with deals that have been on this site over the past year... With stock prices down, oil, soybeans, corn, milk, beef all down. Interest rates up. I'm guessing a lot of Outfitters are waiting to see responses at the shows but betting the deals get even better by the time DSC and HSC roll around.

Then we'll see more deals here... not to mention end of season. I'm going to try to save some funds for late season;)

Any outfit that owns or flies a Jet Ranger isn't going to be cheap. Caveat Emptor.

I checked Theron's website...no trophy fees are listed. I'm guessing they are similar to others in SA, but I will request a list from GSS, and will post it when received.

Never guess on prices sir. Confirm.

One has to really appreciate the gambit of having their "winner" do their marketing for them to find three additional hunters.

Three hunters, at unadvertised trophy fees???
Yeah, big red flashy lights going off in my brain. In their defense, it won't be the first I've seen.

I’m betting this one is going to be pricey in the end and you can do better with deals posted on this site.

Wow, didn’t realize this was such a common scam! I figured it sounded to good to be true. Thanks everyone for the heads up, at least now I’ll be able to spot a scam like this going forward.

Wow, didn’t realize this was such a common scam! I figured it sounded to good to be true. Thanks everyone for the heads up, at least now I’ll be able to spot a scam like this going forward.

It's similar to every other scratch off marketing scheme. Car dealers, time share sellers, big box stores, etc. use them all the time. Come to think of it, I just won three days in a motel in Florida! Just need to cover air fare, car rental and meals.:rolleyes:

Well guys, received the trophy fee list today for my "prize". As you all suspected, each animal was anywhere from 50% to 100% higher than a few other outfitters in the same area. Basically, the cost would be about the same as paying lower trophy fees and the daily fee. Thanks to everyone for the warning...now I know what to look for if I ever receive and offer like this again.

Well guys, received the trophy fee list today for my "prize". As you all suspected, each animal was anywhere from 50% to 100% higher than a few other outfitters in the same area. Basically, the cost would be about the same as paying lower trophy fees and the daily fee. Thanks to everyone for the warning...now I know what to look for if I ever receive and offer like this again.

Can you post those trophy fees?

Can you post those trophy fees?
Sure,
File was pretty big so here are some screenshots.
Pic 1.PNG
Pic 2.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg