AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Hello all,

I was browsing through my latest GSS (Global Sporting Safaris) outfitter catalog, and noticed they had a "prize code" on the address box. Typed in my code, and what do ya know, I won a plains game hunting package in South Africa. Based on the return email I received, I won a plains game package for three hunters (worth $9,300), and I believe the outfitter is Theron African Safaris.

Being my skeptical self, it seemed to good to be true, so here is what it actually is:
All costs are covered, except for flights and trophy fees for 7 hunting days. Basically, the daily fee is waived, which I'm guessing is $300 to $500 per day. In order to book this hunt, I have to put up a $500 down payment within two months (goes towards trophy fees), and can book a hunt for the 2019, 2020, or 2021 season.

I've always been planning on getting back to Africa, but I was holding out for dangerous game hunt (I hunted the eastern cape in 2014). That being said, if I can find two others to travel with during the 2020 or 2021 seasons, I would definitely go and get a few more plains species off my bucket list.

If anyone is interested, please PM me on this site. I would be glad to email you all the details and relay all the info I have received.

Thanks,
Preston

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhfs300

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA Canada South Africa New Zealand
So is each person in for $3100? Plus trophy fees? Or just trophy fees?

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Next question will be: What are the trophy fees?

frog stealer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I checked Theron's website...no trophy fees are listed. I'm guessing they are similar to others in SA, but I will request a list from GSS, and will post it when received.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Use caution. Take a good long hard look at the trophy fees. Sometimes there are good places to go that you wind up cheaper by paying the day fees..... How big are the properties he hunts? What is the trophy quality? Who is the PH? Ask for references and check them out very carefully. Might have a great deal or a bum deal. Need some more details.
Bruce

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I checked Theron's website...no trophy fees are listed. I'm guessing they are similar to ......
That is the kiss of death. Assuming they are similar. I have seen scaled fees for Kudu going north of $6000.00 in these “free” hunts.
Check them out and I hope you did get a good deal.

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Yea..... I'm guessing everyone "wins" that prize.... Very typical South African marketing plan.

Get the trophy fees in writing. And the size of the property. Then compare total costs with deals that have been on this site over the past year... With stock prices down, oil, soybeans, corn, milk, beef all down. Interest rates up. I'm guessing a lot of Outfitters are waiting to see responses at the shows but betting the deals get even better by the time DSC and HSC roll around.

Then we'll see more deals here... not to mention end of season. I'm going to try to save some funds for late season;)

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Any outfit that owns or flies a Jet Ranger isn't going to be cheap. Caveat Emptor.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I checked Theron's website...no trophy fees are listed. I'm guessing they are similar to others in SA, but I will request a list from GSS, and will post it when received.
Never guess on prices sir. Confirm.

One Day...

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.huntershillsafaris.co.za
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Europe, America, Canada, Africa

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
One has to really appreciate the gambit of having their "winner" do their marketing for them to find three additional hunters.

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
I’m betting this one is going to be pricey in the end and you can do better with deals posted on this site.

frog stealer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Wow, didn’t realize this was such a common scam! I figured it sounded to good to be true. Thanks everyone for the heads up, at least now I’ll be able to spot a scam like this going forward.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Wow, didn’t realize this was such a common scam! I figured it sounded to good to be true. Thanks everyone for the heads up, at least now I’ll be able to spot a scam like this going forward.
It's similar to every other scratch off marketing scheme. Car dealers, time share sellers, big box stores, etc. use them all the time. Come to think of it, I just won three days in a motel in Florida! Just need to cover air fare, car rental and meals.:rolleyes:

frog stealer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Well guys, received the trophy fee list today for my "prize". As you all suspected, each animal was anywhere from 50% to 100% higher than a few other outfitters in the same area. Basically, the cost would be about the same as paying lower trophy fees and the daily fee. Thanks to everyone for the warning...now I know what to look for if I ever receive and offer like this again.

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Well guys, received the trophy fee list today for my "prize". As you all suspected, each animal was anywhere from 50% to 100% higher than a few other outfitters in the same area. Basically, the cost would be about the same as paying lower trophy fees and the daily fee. Thanks to everyone for the warning...now I know what to look for if I ever receive and offer like this again.
Can you post those trophy fees?

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings