Wife's recent Build

That is a gorgeous rifle in a great caliber, I'll bet your wife absolutely loves it. What caliber is her next one going to be?

How does she like shooting it?
@2400 , we spent a few hours at the range last Sunday and she did very well. As we all know having a rifle that properly fits lends to a much more pleasurable experience behind the trigger.
She is focusing on spending more time on the sticks instead of the bench and showing steady improvement. Planning to be back out there this weekend again.

BnC 04, I don't know why I haven't commented previously. Your better half is to be complimented for her fine taste in firearms. You are one lucky dude, but don't tell her I said so!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: My wife was born in Tennessee but was raised in Texas, she too is an excellent shot. It must be the water or something. :)

well that is better than the 1952 model here.
bruce.
Bruce
New part for the 50 models are getting harder to obtain. I feel sorry for the 40s models those would be harder still.
As long as we can still purchase one foot in front of the other and hunt that's all that matters.
Bob

Wife spent a bit of time at the 100 yard range with her 300 H&H this morning. She LOVES the rifle and appears to be doing great but since I'm not allowed to take a shot or two I wouldn't know.:unsure:

0308200842_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife spent a bit of time at the 100 yard range with her 300 H&H this morning. She LOVES the rifle and appears to be doing great but since I'm not allowed to take a shot or two I wouldn't know.:unsure:
It appears that just about everything in sight is "within range".
Amazing what a well fitting rifle and proper fundamentals can do.
Well done.

Hello BnC O4,

As others have said, that is a beautiful rifle (yes quite).
Your wife has a fine eye for art.
Also, I applaud your wife for her choice in cartridges.

The .300 H&H / 180 grain spitzer is my favorite cartridge for longer shots on so called “plains game”.
I’ve also shot a good bit of deer and caribou with it here in Alaska.

When I first set foot in Africa, about 16 or 17 years ago, I brought a custom built one, on an FN Commercial Mauser ‘98, with 4x Zeiss scope.
That was to the southern part of Namibia, near Keetmanshoop (before I discovered the not-game-fenced hill country, further north, in the Khomas Hochland Highlands).

Anyway, no doubt I’m preaching to the choir here.
But for those unfamiliar with the .300 H&H, it was designed by that company for exactly what I used it for, Africa.
Specifically, open geography, where shots tend to be a bit long.
No surprise, it turned out to be slap bang perfect for Namibia.

Since others have answered the ballistic questions of this cartridge, I guess I’m whipping a dead horse by saying factory loads seem to be just slightly warmer than the .30-06.
But with hand loads, firing at smallish targets, out past 400 meters, I cannot tell any difference between the H&H and the .300 Winchester.
Well, the Winchester seems to have a slightly more “snappy” recoil.
But, one of my friends here in Anchorage suggests: That could be just my preference for classic / nostalgic things, causing me to imagine it, lol.

Well any way, I will remain on the edge of my chair with anticipation, until reading up on how your wife progresses toward a hunting trip, with her beautiful new Mauser.
And, for news of you finally getting a chance to fire it yourself.

Your wife sounds like the finest type of woman any man could ever hope for.
My wife is no rifle enthusiast but, a life long Alaskan that lives to fish and totally understands my fondness for rifles and hunting.
She has taken a shoulder mounted springbok from down in my man cave and hung it in our dining room.
Likewise, I caught her measuring another spot on the dining room wall and comparing it to an impala mount of mine.
A good spouse is truly worth everything it takes to romance them into a happy life with you.
Bravo! I say.

Well, I’m rambling again.
So, cheers,
Velo Dog.

Her 300 H&H worked wonders on this pig. 80 yard shot leaned against a tree (someone forgot the sticks back in the truck...me) and took out both lungs.

17984.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Atta girl!!!
Way to go.

Perfect eating size too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!