Why would an outfitters trophy fee list be higher?...

e is $3950 on a Kudu.
My outfitters package in Namibia, is around this amount for 5 animals. Family run business. (all inclusive including kudu. So, kudu, hartebeest, oryx, warthog, jackal. ttl 4130. Prices as of 2022, not sure how is for this year)

South Africa is typical for payment by inch of horn. Is this the system where you will be hunting?
Do you want record size horns? Record book entry? In that case I would undesrtand, and if you want that, go for it

I have seen also, that 90% of outfitters in some country have similar pricing, and around 10% or less - have significantly higher pricing the others for the reason I cannot understand.
If I cannot understand higher value, I dont buy.

Those percentages of SCI heads is impressive. Of course the modern “thing” is we’re not supposed to care about trophies. That’s why people spend as much on taxidermy and shipping them home as the safari costs, LOL. Depends on what you are after and the total costs. They were obviously value for money for the total experience in the eyes of your friends.

In a free market prices are always going to vary. Just depends on the outfitter and his business model. Some outfitters have higher daily rates. Some charge for airport transfer, some don't. The list goes on...

You as the client have to decide if the outfitters overall prices, and the hunting experience he provides, fits with your expectations.

In a free market prices are always going to vary.
They do vary, but even in free market there is MSRP, maximum suggested retail price - and in very informal way, that applies for African safari. Beleive me, when I was 2 years researching plains game hunting, 5 same animals, in same area of certain country, with various local outfitters it will come very close to same value everywhere around, +/- few hundeds.. In the same time, there are few much more expensive outfitters, but very few, for which I havent figure out their business model.

Maybe they have golden spoons, modern spa, Olympic size swimming pool, tennis court, and golf court included in their venue, plus Macallan vintage whisky and cohiba beihiem cigars no limit, in bar within day rate, but that I dont know for certain. The only visual difference is very fancy web page, and mostly without price listing, so you have to ask.
Or maybe they are just fishing for big fat stupid fish to bite.

So, what I dont understand, I dont buy.

They do vary, but even in free market there is MSRP, maximum suggested retail price - and in very informal way, that applies for African safari. Beleive me, when I was 2 years researching plains game hunting, 5 same animals, in same area of certain country, with various local outfitters it will come very close to same value everywhere around, +/- few hundeds.. In the same time, there are few much more expensive outfitters, but very few, for which I havent figure out their business model.

Maybe they have golden spoons, modern spa, Olympic size swimming pool, tennis court, and golf court included in their venue, plus Macallan vintage whisky and cohiba beihiem cigars no limit, in bar within day rate, but that I dont know for certain. The only visual difference is very fancy web page, and mostly without price listing, so you have to ask.
Or maybe they are just fishing for big fat stupid fish to bite.

So, what I dont understand, I dont buy.

How about having access to larger areas and offer free range hunting? One thing that I have realised over the years is that the cheaper the price, the more a person will convince himself that he's having a great hunt.

a lot of to think about posted, does this include airport pick up and drop off cost? also is there a arrival day and departure day cost? my Safari operator I am going with next month only charges 400 for an Impala, 350 for a Blesbuck, Kudu 1400 and a Gemsbuck 1100 so I would check around before you drop your cash and you have lots of choices out there and a lot of good operators listed here so check them out first, good luck and have fun

How about having access to larger areas and offer free range hunting? One thing that I have realised over the years is that the cheaper the price, the more a person will convince himself that he's having a great hunt.
Marius, this is valid point.
But the area i was hunting, has acess to 50.000 hectars (not acres).
And offers free range hunting.

Nevertheless, your comment firmly stands.
Its not the same having 500 hectars or 25.000 hectars

a lot of to think about posted, does this include airport pick up and drop off cost? also is there a arrival day and departure day cost? my Safari operator I am going with next month only charges 400 for an Impala, 350 for a Blesbuck, Kudu 1400 and a Gemsbuck 1100 so I would check around before you drop your cash and you have lots of choices out there and a lot of good operators listed here so check them out first, good luck and have fun
This sounds like Eastern Cape prices. In my experience Limpopo, Northwest and other northern provinces charge a little more than the EC.

So I am booked on my first South African Safari for June of 2024. I have heard nothing but great things about my outfitter/PH. Four of my close friends have hunted with him before and they consider him to be like family. My conversations with him have all been super pleasant. But...
He has forwarded me his Trophy fee list for this year and it is much higher than others I see on the net. For example he is $850 on an Impala as well as a Blesbok. He is $2400 on a Gemsbok. He is $3950 on a Kudu. Will where he hunts and/or quality of animals affect that price. One of my friends who has hunted with him 6 times has taken 30 animals with him. ALL 30 are SCI. Another friend has taken 12 animals with him and all but 1 are SCI. I am told that he is an amazing judge of trophies and will let you know immediately if it is an SCI animal.
Would this type of track record cause one to have higher trophy fees than someone else? Does it matter that he is the outfitter owner and the PH and only has 1 hunter in camp at a time for 10 days?
I've hunted with 3 different outfitters in South Africa, and am leaving in may to hunt with #4. I've also hunted in Namibia with 1. Of the 5 total outfitters, 1 had prices similar to what you're quoting. This was my first hunt and one I'd won from DSC so I didn't compare as much to others. What I can say having hunted with the other outfitters now, the following reasons are likely why

1) Smaller Property
2) Nicer vehicles with back-ups and a dedicated vehicle for airport pick-up and transfer (included)
3) Rental Rifles are not extra
4) Different amenities
5) Leased, not owned land
6) Less clients throughout the year
7) Camp is always just the one client and their party, no mixing of parties

I've hunted with 3 different outfitters in South Africa, and am leaving in may to hunt with #4. I've also hunted in Namibia with 1. Of the 5 total outfitters, 1 had prices similar to what you're quoting. This was my first hunt and one I'd won from DSC so I didn't compare as much to others. What I can say having hunted with the other outfitters now, the following reasons are likely why

1) Smaller Property
2) Nicer vehicles with back-ups and a dedicated vehicle for airport pick-up and transfer (included)
3) Rental Rifles are not extra
4) Different amenities
5) Leased, not owned land
6) Less clients throughout the year
7) Camp is always just the one client and their party, no mixing of parties
I won this hunt as well. And I am guaranteed to be the only hunter in camp. I will the undivided attention of the owner/PH, 2 trackers, 1 skinner, 1 driver, 2 cooks, 1 room attendant, and 1 laundry attendant. I feel better about the fee list now. I have also been told by my friends that have hunted there that if I am hesitant on animal, negotiations start occurring. Thanks you for your input.

Cutting to the chase here, regardless of what your buds have done with this outfitter, RUN, FORREST, RUN Horn size means nothing to anyone but you. Get them mounted, show them off to your stateside friends and they won't know the difference between an SCI animal and a cull turd.

I won this hunt as well. And I am guaranteed to be the only hunter in camp. I will the undivided attention of the owner/PH, 2 trackers, 1 skinner, 1 driver, 2 cooks, 1 room attendant, and 1 laundry attendant. I feel better about the fee list now. I have also been told by my friends that have hunted there that if I am hesitant on animal, negotiations start occurring. Thanks you for your input.

Enjoy your hunt and take what Africa gives you. I'd suggest letting the PH know if there's something special you want to hunt. For me on my first hunt it was a Bushbuck which meant the Outfitter/PH had to arrange for us to hunt another property a few hours away.

Don't get too hung-up on size. Every PH/Outfitter I hunted with wanted to kill mature animals and wanted the best possible animal for me. There have only been a few animals I've been picky on size wise, everything else if I wanted one and the PH said he was mature, I killed it.

When it comes to auction hunts now; I definitely compare trophy fee lists, speak to the outfitters/PH's, speak to references and do a bit more research. I've heard some horror stories (not that any of mine were). I can definitely see how some use an auction hunt as a loss lead, and let higher trophy fees make up for it on the back. I can also see how others have different accommodations and experience. Everyone's business model is different. Enjoy your trip to Africa and hope the bug bites you.

These prices are unreal.

Actual prices from an outfitter in the NC.

In Euros

Daily rate 5 days 1100€

Impala 450 €

Blesbok 400€

Gemsbok 700€

Great Southern Kudu 1650 €

Don't forget you're going to tip those eight extra people. Experience says this can run in to real money.
Let's say $250 each, that's another two grand. Add in taxidermy from your outfitter's favorite guy. As far as SCI animals, my first year I shot SCI animals that are mounted and now a lot smaller than the cull versions I've taken over the years. Like others have posted, a package deal is probably a better option.

I hope you have an awesome first trip to Africa. I’ve learned that there are few great hunt deals won at an auction. So many ways an outfitter can make up their fees - I don’t disparage them for that - they are in a business, and often times required to donate hunts to participate in the marketing/fund raising event. There is a third party involved, the “event”, and hopefully that money is going to conservation.

I don’t enjoy negotiating trophy fees (or anything monetary) within the hunt itself - just makes it more transactional and less relaxing for me. That’s just me…. I think the advice about a “package” is a good one to negotiate now, should you choose to proceed etc.

I hope you have an awesome first trip to Africa. I’ve learned that there are few great hunt deals won at an auction. So many ways an outfitter can make up their fees - I don’t disparage them for that - they are in a business, and often times required to donate hunts to participate in the marketing/fund raising event. There is a third party involved, the “event”, and hopefully that money is going to conservation.

I don’t enjoy negotiating trophy fees (or anything monetary) within the hunt itself - just makes it more transactional and less relaxing for me. That’s just me…. I think the advice about a “package” is a good one to negotiate now, should you choose to proceed etc.
I for one had a wonderful auction hunt experience! Just the day rate and observer rate fees for 9 days and the trophy fee for a very expensive antelope. I added 4 more animals to my list and on the last day the outfitter threw in another one for free. My total cost was about half of what it would have cost if I’d have to pay full price for everything I got. $5000 auction fee and $4950 in extra trophy fees was my actual cost and full freight would have been $20750.

I for one had a wonderful auction hunt experience! Just the day rate and observer rate fees for 9 days and the trophy fee for a very expensive antelope. I added 4 more animals to my list and on the last day the outfitter threw in another one for free. My total cost was about half of what it would have cost if I’d have to pay full price for everything I got. $5000 auction fee and $4950 in extra trophy fees was my actual cost and full freight would have been $20750.
Yeah... Everybody is kind of acting like I got taken. But I won this hunt and get 3 free animals. So there will be no daily fees etc. Just the trophy fees. Being as the outfitter donated the hunt, I understand he needs to make up for some of that on the trophy fees. And I'm OK with that. Thanks for your input.

The business model that the outfitter has adopted is going to influence their trophy fees.

Do they own their areas or lease? Do they only hunt self sustaining populations or do they stock from the game auctions? Do they feed their animals or do the animals rely only on what the bush provides? Do they have significant overhead, ie expensive lodges and large staffs? Are their daily rates low or high? Do they run large or multiple camps Vs exclusive use camps? Etc, etc.

I think outfitters with robust returning clientele, who tend to have a relatively low volume of clients annually tend to have higher trophy fees advertised.

I have hunted with an outfitter(on an auction hunt) who probably gets 50% or more of their clients via auction hunts. Had a great hunt and took great trophies.

I did another auction hunt and had a quality stay and hunted quality areas, but the PH they had hired to fill in for their main PH (he was sick/injured) was subpar. Sh!t happens

The most important part of the hunt is that you are happy with the experience you get for the price you pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you