Why would an outfitters trophy fee list be higher?...

migrabill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
So I am booked on my first South African Safari for June of 2024. I have heard nothing but great things about my outfitter/PH. Four of my close friends have hunted with him before and they consider him to be like family. My conversations with him have all been super pleasant. But...
He has forwarded me his Trophy fee list for this year and it is much higher than others I see on the net. For example he is $850 on an Impala as well as a Blesbok. He is $2400 on a Gemsbok. He is $3950 on a Kudu. Will where he hunts and/or quality of animals affect that price. One of my friends who has hunted with him 6 times has taken 30 animals with him. ALL 30 are SCI. Another friend has taken 12 animals with him and all but 1 are SCI. I am told that he is an amazing judge of trophies and will let you know immediately if it is an SCI animal.
Would this type of track record cause one to have higher trophy fees than someone else? Does it matter that he is the outfitter owner and the PH and only has 1 hunter in camp at a time for 10 days?

Supply and demand along with trophy potential of the animals on his lease or areas that he hunts.

When did you book the hunt? What were the trophy fees at the time you booked? Have you paid a deposit?

Prices are impacted by the property he is hunting. If he is not the landowner he will have to pay them for the animals and prices vary depending on landowner, location, trophy size, economy and number of clients.

When did you book the hunt? What were the trophy fees at the time you booked? Have you paid a deposit?
I just booked the hunt last weekend. Deposit goes out this weekend. I definitely want to hunt with him and he seems fair - just wondering what could cause one outfitters price guide to be higher than others.

As long as the prices didn’t increase after booking and the PH/Outfitter is communicating clearly the cost of the hunt then as mentioned previously there are a few factors that influence trophy fees. These could include the area being hunted, the trophy quality of the animals, etc…. A safari is just like most things in life, good deals do exist, but generally you get what you pay for and better experiences and chances at better quality animals are generally going to be more expensive. Based on what you said earlier, this particular PH has a good reputation with people you trust and had a history of taking top quality animals, so in my mind that would be more expensive than somebody who wasn’t producing those type of experiences and trophies. If I were in your position, I’d make a “wish list” of what animals were most important to me, save up the money for that list a little more for whatever else might appeal to you and go have a great hunt. Best of luck and we look forward to reading about your safari in the hunting reports.

Those prices do seem a bit high. I've hunted with Quagga Safaris in Limpopo 4 times and their prices are lower, but graduated upward based on size of some trophies (kudu, buffalo, sable, etc.) I've never paid more than $600 for impala or blesbok of any size.

Those prices seem way out of line, never seen an impala or blesbok over $600. But to be fair I haven’t looked much since 2021. I know there’s been high inflation but not sure how that should effect an animal that has grown up on a property. I can see it on the outfitters costs of food, labor and other things but it doesn’t cost for an animal to grow up.JMO

With those prices I’d suspect his business model is a low number of hunts with higher profits on each hunt. Everyone wants to consider their outfitter/PH friends after the hunt, but it is a business relationship. 90% of South African outfitters are offering nearly the same hunt. SCI minimums are easy to meet. Typically an outfitter posts higher daily rates and trophy fees then marks it down on a custom quote or package. The posted list allows him to pay agent commissions or make up for a client who only wants to shoot one or two animals. There are an areas in South Africa I feel justify higher costs, but most outfitters are offering nearly the same hunt and I wouldn’t pay more than standard market prices. I hope you have a great hunt, but without knowing more about outfitter and area those prices are excessive.

I know of one outfitter who definitely uses a lot of auctions to get clients with very similar trophy fees. They offer a week free daily fees and usually a set amount towards trophy fees. They have higher trophy fees very similar to this. With this business model in mind of taking a hit up front I'm guessing this is how they make up for it in the end. They have bills to pay and there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Could be a hundred reasons why. Bigger animals, bigger property to maintain, nicer lodging, more anti-poaching, more staffing, more expensive logistics, takes fewer hunters, better equipment, inflation on supplies, profit, cheaper daily fees, etc….

I know of one outfitter who definitely uses a lot of auctions to get clients with very similar trophy fees. They offer a week free daily fees and usually a set amount towards trophy fees. They have higher trophy fees very similar to this. With this business model in mind of taking a hit up front I'm guessing this is how they make up for it in the end. They have bills to pay and there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Good point, what is the daily rate and any other costs like airport pickup and drop offs?

Why should outfitters prices be the same? Makes no sense
Every outfit is different and offers something different and are entitled to price differently as they see fit

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should outfitters prices be the same? Makes no sense
Every outfit is different and offers something difeetent and are entitled to price differently as they see fit
Any business should try to get as much as people are willing to pay for your product be it a trophy fee in your business or a pallet of sod as in my business. We charge more for some types and less than our competition for some depending on quality and demand. If an outfitter can get that price get it but you can price yourself out of business.

@migrabill There are many outfitters who are also sponsors of this Africa Hunting forum. Many have specials listed in the Deals and Offers sub-forum. If you are concerned about pricing, perhaps you should pause closing your deal and consider others' "Total Cost of Hunt" including;
  1. Daily fees
  2. Airport pickup and return
  3. Distance between lodging and hunt areas (miles and wasted time on the road between areas...)
  4. Quality of food
  5. Most provide free beer and wine. Great, but what if they have a mixed drink without offering the same to their guests? Very, very rude behavior...
  6. Outfitter's equipment? Do they have a back up vehicle with tow strap in case the primary bakkie breaks or gets stuck? Will you spend most of the night waiting for the PH and tracker to dig the vehicle out of a mud hole? Shxt happens!
  7. Experience of PH
  8. Is the owner also the camp manger and PH? If so, will he have his mind on your hunt or on building his new Eco-tourist Camp?
  9. Then there are little thinks like the quality of their First Aid Kit. I expect an outfitter to be prepared for emergencies. Any outfitter with a hodge-podge first aid kit isn't prepared for clients!!! Once again, Shxt Happens!

Last edited:
I wouldn't 850 for a gold medal impala or blesbok, but everyone has different things that interest them.

I guess the answer depends on what you’re asking. Are you asking why are his prices are higher now than they were in the past? Or are you asking why his prices seem higher than other outfitters?

If it’s the former, then I’d reckon that outfitters are experiencing increases in their costs just like everybody is. I don’t know about his business, but the cost of his leases or access fees may have risen. Certainly his variable costs like fuel. food, and vehicle maintenance have likely shot up. He may be increasing his prices now to make up for increases in his cost that have happened over the last several years. Competition in the South African market place tends to put a damper on outfitters jacking up their prices. However, there’s a limit to how long any business can absorb higher costs without increasing their prices.

If your question has to do with why his prices seem higher than other outfitters, then that’s a different kettle of fish. You mentioned some things that might impact what he charges, like being a one-on-one hunt, or having superior animals or places to hunt them. His accommodations might be over the top, which might matter to some folks.

So long as he didn’t increase his rates after you signed, he’s done nothing wrong. He might just be at the upper end of the rate scale. Do some quick comparisons with other outfitters in the same general area. Then decide where to hunt.

I would suggest you talk with him about this before you sign up and hand over money. Explain your concern and I'm sure he will explain what drives things. Conversations like that can make a great trip, or cause you to reconsider. You will be spending a lot of your money and living g your dreams. It is really important that you and the PH are on the same wave length and that he understands your expectations. Most PH's want to help you live your dream. Give him a call.
Bfly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois