Why no love for the .358 Win?

I fully agree! I picked up a Ruger M77 a few years ago in .358 Win and have not regretted it. With careful handloading you can safely bump it up for more performance. It hits like a hammer and game reaction to the bullet is remarkable. There is just something about a .35 caliber bullet that defies paper ballistics.
Animals I've shot seemed to react much more dramatically to being hit with a 250 gr .358 bullet at 2400 fps than a 250 gr .338 bullet at 2650. I got no explanation.

This thread makes me want to rebore my Savage lightweight hunter 308 to 358. Rebore would drop the weight to just under 7 pounds scoped. Be a hell of a walking around rifle for just about anything inside 250-300 yards
I'll tell you something. Gun scribes back in the day said the .358 was a "brush" cartridge. Bull chips!! I wouldn't hesitate to make a shot out to 300-350 yards.. With a Accubond and it's high BC it has a trajectory that matches a .308 to that distance. That .358 will handle 99% of hunting in a light friendly fast handling package.

I'll tell you something. Gun scribes back in the day said the .358 was a "brush" cartridge. Bull chips!! I wouldn't hesitate to make a shot out to 300-350 yards.. With a Accubond and it's high BC it has a trajectory that matches a .308 to that distance. That .358 will handle 99% of hunting in a light friendly fast handling package.

Just like most gun scribes today they were long on opinion but short on experience.

Animals I've shot seemed to react much more dramatically to being hit with a 250 gr .358 bullet at 2400 fps than a 250 gr .338 bullet at 2650. I got no explanation.
@freefall
You ought to see the reaction of a larger animal (oryx)hit with a 250gr roundnose ate 2,700 fps out of a Whelen. The whole body ripples.
Bob

This thread makes me want to rebore my Savage lightweight hunter 308 to 358. Rebore would drop the weight to just under 7 pounds scoped. Be a hell of a walking around rifle for just about anything inside 250-300 yards
@curtism1234
Why rebore. You can get a prefit Shaw barrel for not much more. Get a 1 in 12 twist.
You won't regret it and if you do you can sell the barrel and refit your 08 barrel.
While your at it get a 250 Savage barrel as well and have all bases covered.
Bob

@curtism1234
Why rebore. You can get a prefit Shaw barrel for not much more. Get a 1 in 12 twist.
You won't regret it and if you do you can sell the barrel and refit your 08 barrel.
While your at it get a 250 Savage barrel as well and have all bases covered.
Bob

I might look into it. The model I have is the Lightweight Hunter so it is their thinnest barrel contour (but still having the standard diameter at the end). Aside from potentially having to do some stock work, the barrel companies may not want to bore a .550 barrel to .358. JES rebore would likely be able to do it.

I would LOVE to have one in a BLR but I don’t handload and don’t remember the last time I saw factory loads here.

16506771830586442268800445083993.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaida88net

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.