Why no love for the .358 Win?

BLR in 358 Win is a wonder to behold. Basically a lever action 35 Whelen in a shorter easier to handle form factor. It's no more of just a "brush" cartridge than a 35 Whelen.
Mine was a joy. Unfortunately, it had occasional failures to extract.

BLR in 358 Win is a wonder to behold. Basically a lever action 35 Whelen in a shorter easier to handle form factor. It's no more of just a "brush" cartridge than a 35 Whelen.
@colorado
That's like saying the 308 is basically a 300wm
The 35 Whelen with a 250gr at 2,700 fps as opposed to the 358 at 2,300fps.
Yes the 358 is a great round and works very well but a Whelen it isn't.
Bob

@colorado
That's like saying the 308 is basically a 300wm
The 35 Whelen with a 250gr at 2,700 fps as opposed to the 358 at 2,300fps.
Yes the 358 is a great round and works very well but a Whelen it isn't.
Bob
@colorado "Oh, now you've done it; Pickles is pissed" :A Naughty:

1650981967341.png

Also not to offend but another reason is because the 30 06's capacity and long neck makes an even better case to neck up to 35 caliber bullets. I would like to one day have a handy bolt gun in 35 Whelen if I ever get into reloading. Shame the 35 caliber in particular has so little factory support. It would not cost the manufacturers much at all to do a run with the 358 win, 35 whelen, and 358 norma mag all based off of popular cartridges they are currently selling rifles in.

I bet it would have done much better if it received more factory support over the years, this could also be said of many other cartridges.
@Rocco490
It would have done better if gun writers actually got off thier arses and actually used it instead of parroting bullshit.
Bob

Great point! Very true! What the mags and writers promoted or failed to promote has no doubt had an influence on what is popular even today. The high velocity small bore advocates unfortunately pushed a lot of bullshit with some extreme cartridge recommendations and outrageous hype. They were major influencers on the masses who took everything they were reading as settled fact. And it's still happening today.

Last edited:
It is a mystery about the .35 caliber lack of attention. Here in the states the various 35's have never really caught on. The .35 Remington had some popularity in the wooded hills along the east coast but the .35 Whelen, .358 Winchester and certainly the .358 Norma were met with a yawn. Look at reloading supplies. bullets are starting to be available in various bore sizes EXCEPT .358 diameter bullets. I'm a die heart 35 caliber fan and will never be without at least one and always looking for another.

Recoil plays a roll and 35 calibers dont tend to show well on paper ballistics. No doubt without the typical marketing points to hype up a cartridge in ads in gun mags or the writers frantically pushing them the 35 caliber was a marketing failure. I believe bullet frontal area is a majorly overlooked feature of cartridges and their bullets ability to transfer energy to target for terminal effect.

Great point! Very true! What the mags and writers promoted or failed to promote has no doubt had an influence on what is popular even today. The high velocity small bore advocates unfortunately pushed a lot of bullshit with some extreme cartridge recommendations and outrageous hype. They were major influencers on the masses who took everything they were reading as settled fact. And it's still happening today.
@Rocco490
That the only reason the 243 is popular. All the bullshit written about it isn't worth the paper it is written on. Without the hype the 243 wouldn't have got off the ground. Hell even Winchester had to lower their advertised velocity because they new it was pie in the sky.
With more hunters/ shooters having access to chronograph is helping them to be more honest.
Bob

It is a mystery about the .35 caliber lack of attention. Here in the states the various 35's have never really caught on. The .35 Remington had some popularity in the wooded hills along the east coast but the .35 Whelen, .358 Winchester and certainly the .358 Norma were met with a yawn. Look at reloading supplies. bullets are starting to be available in various bore sizes EXCEPT .358 diameter bullets. I'm a die heart 35 caliber fan and will never be without at least one and always looking for another.
@Rick HOlbert
Imagine if the 35s were advertised as well as the 243 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. You wouldn't be able to keep up supplies

Recoil plays a roll and 35 calibers dont tend to show well on paper ballistics. No doubt without the typical marketing points to hype up a cartridge in ads in gun mags or the writers frantically pushing them the 35 caliber was a marketing failure. I believe bullet frontal area is a majorly overlooked feature of cartridges and their bullets ability to transfer energy to target for terminal effect.
@Rocco490
The new 35 legend seems to be gaining popularity.

That is more to meet demand in certain states with specific cartridge restrictions. Not a bad round but I want a larger case pushing a heavier 35 caliber bullet myself

@Rick HOlbert
Imagine if the 35s were advertised as well as the 243 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. You wouldn't be able to keep up supplies
Bob, a couple of years ago while working at a large gunshop a fellow came in looking for a rifle to hunt coastal grizzly's in Alaska. Just happened to have one of the last Ruger MK II M77s on the rack chambered in 35 Whelen. I told him that with the right bullet it would take anything on the North American continent. Long story short, he bought it. 18 months later he came back and told me he took a 9 foot bear and the 35 worked like a charm. 1 shot and the bear was down inside 15 yards. Like I've always said, the 35's work much better than paper ballistics say they should.

@Rick HOlbert
Crap quoted wrong one
@Rocco490
"That the only reason the 243 is popular. All the bullshit written about it isn't worth the paper it is written on. Without the hype the 243 wouldn't have got off the ground. Hell even Winchester had to lower their advertised velocity because they new it was pie in the sky.
With more hunters/ shooters having access to chronograph is helping them to be more honest.
Bob"

The 243 has several legitimate things that were in its favor. Low recoil was a big one and many were sold for younger hunters as a first centerfire. Another is it was offered in a number of factory rifles the manufacturers supported it with plenty of affordable rifles available and factory ammunition. It shot flat which also helped secure a good hit even when misjudging distance. The most popular game hunted in the states is whitetail deer, the broadside rear lung shot is a favorite aiming point and many are not large bodied and the 243 with a decent bullet could do a good job in this scenario as many new hunters got there first deer with the cartridge. Also being the first rifle it was used on all the smaller game they could hunt groundhogs woodchucks and other such game that it was well suited for. (However It could also fail miserably with poorly constructed bullets blowing up on game and failing to penetrate. It also was discovered to be hard on barrels and the high velocity made bullet choice of the little bullets even more crucial to avoid blow up/failures and penetration is not to be compared to dedicated big game cartridges)

Last edited:
I honestly think the 243 would of been more popular with less detractors if the writers manufacturer and advertisers didnt hype it up with the can do anything based off velocity alone sales bs.
example "can I hunt bear with it?" "of course this thing launches a bullet over 3000 fps it can kill anything!" they just dont mention that included you when you mistakenly try it on that bear hunt and end up mauled to death while desperately trying to use the rifle as a club.....actually this is not funny and has probably happened in some version or another

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!