Why no love for the .358 Win?

If the 358 had come out in the early 1900s it might have done better. Back then iron sites were the rule and those 225-250 grain bullets would have been more forgiving with early jacket issues then a faster 30 cal bullet.

I do think the 358 has some advantages. The 308 "saves" some horse power for longer range. It will probably punch through a grizzly bear's shoulders just fine with a premium bullet. But the hole will be smaller.

In a sense my 358 seems to dump more energy faster without "savingg" anything for those 400 yard shots. It definitely hurt a medium sized black bear that I shot. Not DRT but he seemed stunned by the lung shot. My brother shot an almost identical bear through the lungs with a 308 and a 200 grain Partition loaded hot to 2400+ fps. His bear died to but it ran 50 yards compared to stumbling 5 and dying. Lots of 358 users report similar results.

That's perfect.
I have to keep it going though...
I'm just saying, a 358 would shoot flatter and have higher sectional density (couldn't resist :)) than a 9.3x51. I actually have read a post by someone considering creating that wildcat and I can't for the life of me figure out why other than to be really different, which is fine. Talk about bullet selection issues, thy name is 9.3x51. I totally understand wanting to ensure you are the only guy that shows up in camp with that cartridge, but I am comfortable saying that 9.3x57 would get you there much easier.

If the comment was concerning 9.3x57 or x64 then I agree, pretty different animal. Compare it to the 9x57 or 35 Whelan instead.
You are quite correct. I have both a 358 win and a 9x 56 MS and they are basically 2 peas in a pod. Almost identical performance on targets and on game. My Mannlicher has been kept with open sights which suits the caliber just fine.

I do have a .358 Win, and I have hunted a lot with, and I love it, as much as you can love a rifle.

But for Africa, a 9,3x62 is the much better choice

Imagine, it is the tool you not only have to hunt with, but you have to handle the worst situation that can appear.

HWL

I always thought a BLR in 350 Rem Mag or 35 Whelen would be a great rifle. Don't know why I don't have one yet.
@colorado
The whelen would be an easy conversion the 350 Rem Mag would be a different proposition tho because of the short ,fat ,belted case.
Bob

I do have a .358 Win, and I have hunted a lot with, and I love it, as much as you can love a rifle.

But for Africa, a 9,3x62 is the much better choice

Imagine, it is the tool you not only have to hunt with, but you have to handle the worst situation that can appear.

HWL
I do have to say that with modern bullets,the .358 should penetrate very well. I am trying to get some 200 grain TTSX bullets, but they are hard to come by right now. I know that my 6,5x55 penetrated better with 120 TTSXs than it does with any 140 grain bullet. This is partly due to the reduced frontal area of the "X" ins stead of a full mushroom. I feel like a .358 with a 200garin monometal should penetrate like a 250 grain lead core bullet does and still cause significant damage to end the animal quickly.

The BLR lightweight bolts lock into the barrel extension similar to the AR-15 while the steel receivers has the locking mortices milled into them. Not sure if any difference in strength.

Deer hunting this morning, of hand 50m. Its been a long time ........
358 Winchester featherweight 185 ACP
ZCLnjk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer hunting this morning, of hand 50m. Its been a long time ........
358 Winchester featherweight 185 ACP
View attachment 444821
And the list of the .358's virtues keeps growing! It doesn't look like the hide on that fox was damaged any more than a small varmint rifle might've done! Most rifles in the .358 category would have nearly blown that fox in half and all you'd be left with is scraps.

@264
What does the other side look like Mick.
And the list of the .358's virtues keeps growing! It doesn't look like the hide on that fox was damaged any more than a small varmint rifle might've done! Most rifles in the .358 category would have nearly blown that fox in half and all you'd be left with is scraps.
Beat me to it Bob.

I have a 358 and like it a lot BUT it's a niche cartridge.

Mine is a heavily modified Ruger American that weighs 5.5 pounds without a scope with a 16 inch barrel. It currently has an old Weaver 1-3 scope on it for a total weight of 6.5 pounds.

For me it's the lightest and smallest rifle that I would consider shooting a grizzly with. A 225 grain Swift A Frame at 2400 no fps is about like a heavy 30-06 load but in a smaller package (I doubt a 30-06 with a 16 inch barrel would be as effective). Of course it's not a long range rifle. I carry it on scouting trips and trips where I'm not the primary shooter.

If you skip big bears there is really nothing a 358 can do that a 308 can't do about as well. Yes a 358 probably does kill a bit faster at woods ranges but not a lot more. That's probably why it wasn't more popular. Anything a 358 can do a 308 or 7mm-08 will also do and a bit more efficiently.
@Alaska Luke
The 7mm and 308 may do things a,tad more efficiently but there's no fun in that.
Put them in your itty bitty light weight ruger and see if they do the same.
That Ruger in 358 is a bit like my wife. A lot of walloping in a small package and a lot of fun. What more do you want.
Bob

Yes more bullet selection would help a lot. The available bullets mostly have a low SD and BC but they don't have to.
@Alaska Luke
How big of a selection do you want.
You can go from 125gn hollow points for handguns up to 310s, from standard cup and core to bonded or monos. Surely there's something in that range that will cover your needs.

@Alaska Luke
How big of a selection do you want.
You can go from 125gn hollow points for handguns up to 310s, from standard cup and core to bonded or monos. Surely there's something in that range that will cover your needs.
20210703_192412.jpg

Here is mine.
20210509_093845.jpg

The trajectory isn't terrible. But a lot of blunt tipped bullets fall below 1800fps pretty fast so expansion is iffy. I liked the Nosler Partition because the BC was something like 0.43. Problem is they are all gone for now.

In order to truly appreciate the 358 winchester you must hunt with it. It performs all out of expectations from reading ballistic data or target shooting. I will never be without at least one.

View attachment 456496
Here is mine.
View attachment 456497
The trajectory isn't terrible. But a lot of blunt tipped bullets fall below 1800fps pretty fast so expansion is iffy. I liked the Nosler Partition because the BC was something like 0.43. Problem is they are all gone for now.
@Alaska Luke
Easy don't use blunt tiped bullets.
The 225gn Woodleigh or Sierra btgk would be ideal for shots out to 250yards and that take in a lot of game at normal hunting ranges.
Bob

In order to truly appreciate the 358 winchester you must hunt with it. It performs all out of expectations from reading ballistic data or target shooting. I will never be without at least one.
I fully agree! I picked up a Ruger M77 a few years ago in .358 Win and have not regretted it. With careful handloading you can safely bump it up for more performance. It hits like a hammer and game reaction to the bullet is remarkable. There is just something about a .35 caliber bullet that defies paper ballistics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,