Why no love for the .358 Win?

Congratulations you have developed some very high bc bullets in .264" Guess what they didn't need a new cartridge to do that. The 260 rem was darn near the same thing and was out way before the creedmoor. 6.5 x 55 also similar ballistically. Yes I understand the differences. Yes the creed is technically superior for potential long range target accuracy still I will take a carefully cut 260 rem chamber and good barrel over a poorly cut 6.5 creed chamber on a not so great barrel any day of the week. Great machining accuracy is more important than slight specification differences so really what is so special about the 6.5 creed cartridge (not the bullets) for hunting game that is different than what the 6.5x55 has been doing over 100 years now? I call that hype/salesman bullshit.

You found that unclear?
Only because I had experienced failure to extract on mine once when I reloaded some military brass by neck forming only but when I full length resized the problem disappeared.

@Rocco490
That the only reason the 243 is popular. All the bullshit written about it isn't worth the paper it is written on. Without the hype the 243 wouldn't have got off the ground. Hell even Winchester had to lower their advertised velocity because they new it was pie in the sky.
With more hunters/ shooters having access to chronograph is helping them to be more honest.
Bob
That is the primary reason I'll never own a .243! All the BS advertising killed the 2 best cartridges we've ever had in that category, the .250-3000 Savage and .257 Roberts. The .250-3000 is equal to the .243 while the .257 will outperform it. I'd rather hunt deer with a .223 than a .243!

That is the primary reason I'll never own a .243! All the BS advertising killed the 2 best cartridges we've ever had in that category, the .250-3000 Savage and .257 Roberts. The .250-3000 is equal to the .243 while the .257 will outperform it. I'd rather hunt deer with a .223 than a .243!
@7x57Joe
20210115_123439.jpg

This is what some one else said

Yeah that makes sense, as one of its first rifles was the model 88 winchester which was a levergun. In a scoped bolt gun, it is all of a 250-300 yard cartridge by anyone's reckoning. Especially when you combine it with a really good bullet.

I personally am very tired of the would-be-sniper garbage being peddled by almost all of the major rifle manufacturers today. Inevitable portrayals are always a "hunter" in quasi-tactical hunting gear overlooking a canyon in the prone position, pointing the rifle to some poor, unsuspecting animal, 5 canyons away. Success rate on actual field shots like that has to be less than 20%. Absolutely stupid, But it is peddled as "the way you hunt" by some call-of-duty wannabe marketing guys. Give me a .358 any day and I will get withing 300 yards, or enjoy the stalk potentially miss an opportunity to shoot.
So true about the " tactical wankers" most think the 6.5 CM is equal to a 105 howitzer & you have to have all the clothing ect to fit the image.

Go with the 338 federal. It’s amazing how it kills and the bullet selection is incredible. I have used it on several plains game including eland and kudu. Elk and mule deer. It’s an amazing cartridge.
I am intrigued by the 338 federal i may will build one on a Ruger 77 243 or 308 or Howa 1500 & just re barrel it.

I have a Ruger 77 MKII RSI in 250-3000 and I will tell you it doesn’t match the 243, with Hornady 117 grain round nose bullets it puts it to shame. How do I know you ask? Because I traded a Ruger RSI in 243 for the 250-3000. The affects on game hit by the 250-3000 are in a whole upper category from their reaction to taking the 243 with 100 grain cor locs. Shot 2 very nice bucks and no exits on either. The 250 leaves a copious blood trail on both sides of the animal. Same with hogs.

@7x57Joe
View attachment 464075
This is what some one else said
I am intrigued by the 338 federal i may will build one on a Ruger 77 243 or 308 or Howa 1500 & just re barrel it.
@rdog
You won't be disappointed mate. Ten second had one and loved it with 185ttsx until he went to the even better 35 Mitchell Express.
Bob

I have a Ruger 77 MKII RSI in 250-3000 and I will tell you it doesn’t match the 243, with Hornady 117 grain round nose bullets it puts it to shame. How do I know you ask? Because I traded a Ruger RSI in 243 for the 250-3000. The affects on game hit by the 250-3000 are in a whole upper category from their reaction to taking the 243 with 100 grain cor locs. Shot 2 very nice bucks and no exits on either. The 250 leaves a copious blood trail on both sides of the animal. Same with hogs.
@MS 9x56
25s and 35s just plain work.
Full stop.
Bob

Ruger manufactured the 338 federal for awhile. I bought two used and the both shot great. I also rebarreled a Kimber due to it being extremely light because I could not find one. I have seen a couple since in a wood stock.

I like to tell You, why I have choosen the 358 Winchester:

First of all, I'm a 308 Win lover since I'm going hunting.
Easy brass, easy bullets, easy reloading, easy shooting, easy....easy....easy !!
Did I tell You yet ? I really do like easy !!
The only bitter taste with this dream 308 cartridge is coming up, when it's time for shooting at some bigger game! Yeah, I know, there are guys out there, shooting even elefants with a tiny 257 Roberts, but I'm more the "make-save-type ....." ! ;)
In our surroundings here in Germany we do have wild hogs around and they grow sometimes up to real monsters. To be a realist, my 308 Winnie is, even when loaded with those great Magtip from Speer in 150 grain, at it's end if trying to bag those 150kg woppers save.
When so, I wanna make sure to get hold of that beast at least and pack it into my deepfreezer for lots of bio steaks and roasts. My barrel in the 308 has 12", bigger bullets didn't do well, so I had to decide for someting more potencial.

Searching in the Speer and Hornady reloading books I found the 358 Winchester. Never heard of it.
Same brass like the 308, which made it on the first look quiet symphatic. In both book desriptions was written something strange like "is just a wood cartridge" , "....didn't made it, due to magnumania...." and something about "slooooow bullet".
One was even claiming, that this cartridge is not ideal!
But the ballistic charts beneath showed: 225 Grain at 2400 fps.... who the hell needs more ???

Sure... some guys need more fps, but I like good results more. Today I'm carrying a 358 Win custom made, loading 200 grain Sierra RN and never been dissapointed with the results. At those big hogs, this 358 Win is doing very well, killing instantly and final. No meat is unneseccarily waisted, no animal is lost or walked behind. No big recoil, more the Chevy type. And the Sierra bullets hold together like being bonded. (Sierra = Great product at good pricing. )
That are my personel requirements to a cartridge for my needs.

I would wish, more guys would be leaded by common sense, than by the meanings of manipulated, never-in-the-woods-editors of hunting magazines, magnum afine books, wild forum theories or crazy Youtube artists, always under pressure for sales figures or clicks.
Just use your brain and count 1+1 and You will find solutions for Your personal requirements, which make happy and satisfy all the way!!

Waidmannsheil!

Easy brass, easy bullets, easy reloading, easy shooting, easy....easy....easy !!
The only bitter taste with this dream 308 cartridge is coming up, when it's time for shooting at some bigger game! Yeah, I know, there are guys out there, shooting even elefants with a tiny 257 Roberts, but I'm more the "make-save-type ....." ! ;)
In our surroundings here in Germany we do have wild hogs around and they grow sometimes up to real monsters. To be a realist, my 308 Winnie is, even when loaded with those great Magtip from Speer in 150 grain, at it's end if trying to bag those 150kg woppers save.
When so, I wanna make sure to get hold of that beast at least and pack it into my deepfreezer for lots of bio steaks and roasts. My barrel in the 308 has 12", bigger bullets didn't do well, so I had to decide for someting more potencial.

Searching in the Speer and Hornady reloading books I found the 358 Winchester. Never heard of it.
Same brass like the 308, which made it on the first look quiet symphatic. In both book desriptions was written something strange like "is just a wood cartridge" , "....didn't made it, due to magnumania...." and something about "slooooow bullet".
But the ballistic charts beneath showed: 225 Grain at 2400 fps.... who the hell needs more ???

Sure... some guys need more fps, but I like good results more. Today I'm carrying a 358 Win custom made, loading 200 grain Sierra RN and never been dissapointed with the results. At those big hogs, this 358 Win is doing very well, killing instantly and final. No meat is unneseccarily waisted, no animal is lost or walked behind. No big recoil, more the Chevy type. And the Sierra bullets hold together like being bonded. (Sierra = Great product at good pricing. )

I would wish, more guys would be leaded by common sense, than by the meanings of manipulated, never-in-the-woods-editors of hunting magazines, magnum afine books, wild forum theories or crazy Youtube artists, always under pressure for sales figures or clicks.
Just use your brain and count 1+1 and You will find solutions for Your personal requirements, which make happy and satisfy all the way!!

Waidmannsheil!
@Rosch
I could never understand why the 358 wasn't more popular than it is. It punches far above its weight and gets the job done with a minimum of fuss. Have you tried the 225gn Sierra game king, another great bullet in the 358 and extends the range a bit. Problem is it is not very meat friendly at close range. Woodleigh do a beautiful 225gn round nose for the 35s as well.
Those that have a 358 keep them. Those that don't, don't know what they are missing.
Bob

Waidmannsheil!
Finally someone talking sense! Being a 35 caliber looney the 358 winchester is one of my favorites.

What I don't get is folks who say that the .35 rem is a great woods gun (it is) but that a 358 is somehow unworthy of mention?!! It is better. (right up there with folk saying the .35 rem is insufficient in a rifle for elk, but in a pistol is a great choice for elk--wait, what?)

What I don't get is folks who say that the .35 rem is a great woods gun (it is) but that a 358 is somehow unworthy of mention?!! It is better. (right up there with folk saying the .35 rem is insufficient in a rifle for elk, but in a pistol is a great choice for elk--wait, what?)
@steve white
Those people are what I deem as complete Muppets. All mouth and no brains as to. An ordinary Muppet have some brains but get a bit confused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.