Why no love for the .358 Win?

I fully agree! I picked up a Ruger M77 a few years ago in .358 Win and have not regretted it. With careful handloading you can safely bump it up for more performance. It hits like a hammer and game reaction to the bullet is remarkable. There is just something about a .35 caliber bullet that defies paper ballistics.
Animals I've shot seemed to react much more dramatically to being hit with a 250 gr .358 bullet at 2400 fps than a 250 gr .338 bullet at 2650. I got no explanation.

This thread makes me want to rebore my Savage lightweight hunter 308 to 358. Rebore would drop the weight to just under 7 pounds scoped. Be a hell of a walking around rifle for just about anything inside 250-300 yards
I'll tell you something. Gun scribes back in the day said the .358 was a "brush" cartridge. Bull chips!! I wouldn't hesitate to make a shot out to 300-350 yards.. With a Accubond and it's high BC it has a trajectory that matches a .308 to that distance. That .358 will handle 99% of hunting in a light friendly fast handling package.

I'll tell you something. Gun scribes back in the day said the .358 was a "brush" cartridge. Bull chips!! I wouldn't hesitate to make a shot out to 300-350 yards.. With a Accubond and it's high BC it has a trajectory that matches a .308 to that distance. That .358 will handle 99% of hunting in a light friendly fast handling package.

Just like most gun scribes today they were long on opinion but short on experience.

Animals I've shot seemed to react much more dramatically to being hit with a 250 gr .358 bullet at 2400 fps than a 250 gr .338 bullet at 2650. I got no explanation.
@freefall
You ought to see the reaction of a larger animal (oryx)hit with a 250gr roundnose ate 2,700 fps out of a Whelen. The whole body ripples.
Bob

This thread makes me want to rebore my Savage lightweight hunter 308 to 358. Rebore would drop the weight to just under 7 pounds scoped. Be a hell of a walking around rifle for just about anything inside 250-300 yards
@curtism1234
Why rebore. You can get a prefit Shaw barrel for not much more. Get a 1 in 12 twist.
You won't regret it and if you do you can sell the barrel and refit your 08 barrel.
While your at it get a 250 Savage barrel as well and have all bases covered.
Bob

@curtism1234
Why rebore. You can get a prefit Shaw barrel for not much more. Get a 1 in 12 twist.
You won't regret it and if you do you can sell the barrel and refit your 08 barrel.
While your at it get a 250 Savage barrel as well and have all bases covered.
Bob

I might look into it. The model I have is the Lightweight Hunter so it is their thinnest barrel contour (but still having the standard diameter at the end). Aside from potentially having to do some stock work, the barrel companies may not want to bore a .550 barrel to .358. JES rebore would likely be able to do it.

I would LOVE to have one in a BLR but I don’t handload and don’t remember the last time I saw factory loads here.

16506771830586442268800445083993.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.