Whisky appreciation

Being born and blessed in the US, and having lived and worked in the colonies (UK, Oz) lol, I do appreciate a good whiskey! And making a bit of rock gut on my my own.

4531D816-3DD9-42D2-AD42-043E9981C37F.jpeg
6417A6D3-C5BD-43B2-B56F-94A3F121207D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Bourbon too. I can't get a taste for it But the Aussies who do drink it generally don't enjoy Rum. Like polar opposites.

Whiskey, Scotch Whisky seems to be more Universal.

I find Irish whiskey has a sweetness that I don't mind.

Yeah, Bourbon too. I can't get a taste for it But the Aussies who do drink it generally don't enjoy Rum. Like polar opposites.

Whiskey, Scotch Whisky seems to be more Universal.

I find Irish whiskey has a sweetness that I don't mind.

There are many varieties out there; how can you not enjoy rum :D Drunk:
My personal favorite is El Dorado 12 year (real 12 year, not Solera) and it's only like $40usd

I have always wanted to get into Irish Whisky but it seems 99% of it is blended. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'd rather display a Single Malt. No question they have a unique sweetness

Last edited:
@sgt_zim - you should try Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or if you haven’t already.

There are many varieties out there; how can you not enjoy rum :D Drunk:
My personal favorite is El Dorado 12 year (real 12 year, not Solera) and it's only like $40usd

I have always wanted to get into Irish Whisky but it seems 99% of it is blended. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'd rather display a Single Malt. No question they have a unique sweetness
Connemara
Dingle
Knappogue Castle
The Quiet Man

All single malt Irish if you want to give one a go.

Here's a rare one for everyone.

Amalga Distillery, Juneau Alaska
Single Malt Whiskey, Batch 4.

They usually only sell it in town but sent several cases to Anchorage, Wasilla and Fairbanks. So I grabbed a couple bottles while I could.

It is pretty good.
20211202_183352.jpg

One thing I've noticed about these craft distilleries is the quality of the spirit is high but the aging is rushed. It turns it into a very expensive mixer. Understandably, these startups can not wait many years before selling anything. That being said, if I'm going to spend $50 on a bottle of whisky it's going to be something like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Jack Single Barrel, Glenlivet, etc.

Now if the distillery has a food program, I'm all in for experiencing their product in person.

One thing I've noticed about these craft distilleries is the quality of the spirit is high but the aging is rushed. It turns it into a very expensive mixer. Understandably, these startups can not wait many years before selling anything. That being said, if I'm going to spend $50 on a bottle of whisky it's going to be something like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Jack Single Barrel, Glenlivet, etc.

Now if the distillery has a food program, I'm all in for experiencing their product in person.
There's a distillery in Talkeetna Alaska that has a whiskey that unfortunately fits that to a T. Legally Bourbon must be 4 years old, so all they call their product is whiskey, and they sell it in the half bottle at a premium price. After I splurged on the first bottle everyone raved about and was underwhelmed I've walked on. Amalga's (above) is solid. Being a single malt it's basically a Scotch that isn't. And thankfully there's no peat. Me and peaty whiskeys don't get along.

And the new "craft" distilleries often outsource. Ya gotta read the fine print. If it only says it's bottled at their location it's probably been sourced from somewhere else like MGP out of Indiana. While MGP makes a lot of good products, they need to be up front about it.

I understand that most of the micro-distilleries don’t have aged whisky, but if what they offer is good, we need to support them. Hopefully they are working on aging some of their products so they can offer more complex tastes in the future.

There are lots of distilleries opening up on and around my namesake. Some are very good. I will have to do some reviews on here of the small timers sometime.

I had a humorous incident with whiskey. I was sitting at a bar after dinner and saw a bottle of Macallan 25. I ordered a double neat and was a little surprised at the price $160. I sent my son a text, telling him ‘don’t tell mom I spent $160 on a drink!’ Unfortunately I sent that text to my wife, not my son. Obviously the fault of the macallan! It was excellent whiskey, worth what I paid in currency and other! Thanks

After a long day, I just sat down tonight to a new bottle...Teeling Small Batch Irish Whiskey. Holy Mother of Mary is this stuff amazing. Dangerously smooooooooth with notes of fruit and light smoke. Highly recommended.
1639780244268.png

I enjoy all of the types of bourbon made by Wood Hat Spirits in New Florence, Missouri. Their Twin Timber’s is finished in pecan barrels. Smooth.. He also makes wood hats if you find you need one.

I enjoy all of the types of bourbon made by Wood Hat Spirits in New Florence, Missouri. Their Twin Timber’s is finished in pecan barrels. Smooth.. He also makes wood hats if you find you need one.

Wood Hat has some very interesting grain bills.

I also enjoy Pinckney Bend. They offered a Port barrel finish a number of years back that was stellar. If I remember right it was priced at $70 for 375ml but so good. I think I still have a bottle

Last edited:
Wood Hat has some very interesting grain bills.

I also enjoy Pinckney Bend. They offered a Port barrel finish a number of years back that was stellar. If I remember right it was priced at $70 for 375ml but so good. I think I still have a bottle
I also tried and enjoyed the Pickey Bend Port finish! The Sherry finish is good as well. They are just down the road from me in New Haven Mo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you