Whisky appreciation

I will have to find some. How do you rate it relative to Middleton?
Good question. A little like Bollinger and Dom Perignon? One for taste and one for show. Both are fabulous, but if I can find it, I would just as soon have the Wild Geese.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
You know of all the whiskey listed no one has mentioned the best cheap whiskey out there, Canadian Hunter I think it goes for about $8.00 a fifth, have solved many of the worlds problems while partaking of its magical qualities (and it’s got a great label)

Second the sentiments posted in this thread. I like my whiskey in very small quantities- on the rocks. For cheap, some of the mild Canadian whiskeys are excellent. Also, excellent and surprisingly cheap is the Irish single malt, The Famous Grouse. Hard to beat sipped, in as perfect a setting as exists in Africa, IMO. "Early season sunset", just after the rains in the Kalahari. :)

Kalahari boma copy.jpg

Last edited:
Won't lie, love me some Famous Grouse.

Is that Stagg Jr? If so, have you ever had the regular George T Stagg?
Yes sir, that is a Stagg Jr (which I enjoy). I've had George T. thanks to my son in law owning one. I'd like to own one. Last one I saw was going for $350, a little much for my wallet.

Yes sir, that is a Stagg Jr (which I enjoy). I've had George T. thanks to my son in law owning one. I'd like to own one. Last one I saw was going for $350, a little much for my wallet.
Yeah, the old hat bartender at the place I worked after college was a huge bourbon fan. He usually got one bottle a year and we'd open at the annual Christmas party. Was really good. The Stagg Jr is definitely more my price range though.

For those that like single malt, and don't want to spend too much. Try Highland Park 12. It's around $50.00 per bottle, but very nice.
And there's Glen Morangie 10, pretty spectacular in its own right. It's about $35 at Total Wine down here in the Houston area.

Plain ol Canadian Club works for me, but Knob Creek if someone wants to send a gift...

Not sure how many other whisky lovers there are here but I am one of them.

Do a bit of writing occasionally for a few hunting magazines and nothing is a better accompaniment to writing than a nice dram.

View attachment 234958
Roses Single Barrel

Ive posted about H&Y in another thread somewhere...

Bar none the best whiskey I found in 2020... incredibly smooth.. nice vanilla and apple notes.. and pretty reasonably priced for a small batch / boutique option...

And.. youre supporting American veterans with every purchase.. the owners are former SOF personnel.. and a % of their proceeds go to charities that support wounded vets.. (Full disclosure.. I am good friends with one of the minority stake holders.. and am acquaintances with one of the significant stakeholders for whom the company/whiskey is named... but.. that sincerely doesnt change or enhance my position on this bottle... its no kidding the best whiskey find I made in 2020.. and without a doubt one of my top 3 favorite american whiskeys ever)...

It is interesting that in Scotland when one refers to Whisky (whiskey) they are talking about what we would call Scotch. When hunters in camp locally refer to whiskey, they may be talking about bourbon or the distinctly different "Canadian Whiskey".....(the latter suitable only as a solvent or for in-laws IMO). If they want a scotch, they will ask for it as such. It is equally surprising to me what some whiskeys sell for..........an avid bourbon drinker that I know, likes this distillery the best.........FWB

Buy Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 Years Old  Wooden Cork #1 Online Liquor Store.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The price on the bottle in the photo is $4500.00
It is no where near their most expensive bottle, however...FWB

What gets me... Sazerac (parent company) retails it for like $150 when they release it at the Buffalo Trace distillery, and then demand takes over and the price explodes.:rolleyes: Damn economics.

A banker brought a bottle to a deal closing I was involved in. It was good, but it wasn’t $4,500 good!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg