Whisky appreciation

Just picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920 today and it reminded me of this thread. It is tasty.

Bourbons: Woodford double oaked, EH Taylor, Angels Envy and the house pour of Buffalo Trace.

Scotch: I haven't met one that disagrees with me. So many varieties. Favorites include Springbank 15, Macallan cask strength, Glenfarclas and Highland Park.

The only thing that I can think of as great in living in a state run liquor state is that if Pappy or some other high demand booze is available, it is at market price, so I would pay that $150 or so MSRP instead of the $4500 on the open market. It is still a gamble due to allocation which is random. But, if you are nice to your boozemonger and sometimes add a gratuity the fortune cookie opens with a winning ticket. Still no Pappy, but got some hard to find booze.

As another thought, sometimes I order booze out of California with Hitimewine.net. Sometimes the prices are lower, even with shipping than buying in Oregon.

I used to proudly display shelves of whiskies, rums, and tequillas. Then I had my daughter and my cave got turned into a play area!

Nowadays I only keep a handful in stock. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a great price at $50usd, Glenlevin 12 the classic, and Macallan 12 are my currents.

For those IPA beer drinkers out there, Grants has a beer barrel aged young scotch for less than $20 if you can find it. If you have a big hoppy 2xIPA, you can sip the Grants neat and it makes the hops linger. Otherwise its too young for sipping and too niche to be a mixer.

Aberlour A’bunadh cask strength is my favourite single malt at the moment. Delicious!

1533A852-8908-40C0-97AF-6603BF0562AE.png

Went back for some more Forrester 1920 and came out with an extra bottle of Jefferson's Ocean

Next venture will be for the Whisky.

Bain's Cape Mountain single grain whiskey. Made in RSA. Helps complete the Africa experience. It can be sourced in USA from several çhains or online.

Evan Williams BIB for my daily
Buffalo Trace after that
Eagle Rare is ok but my favorite is TaylorView attachment 391152
EH Taylor is the gateway bourbon...I used to think it was Blanton's, but all of my hunting buds prefer the Colonel, so sad it has gotten hard to find around here. Nice herd of bottles there, @tedthorn .

Bain's Cape Mountain single grain whiskey. Made in RSA, adds to the Africa experience. Available in USA.

Wife won a bottle of Pappy 15 yr old 2 weeks ago. Just going to look at it for a while.

Tonight’s drink, very smooth:

Image1615674271.534577.jpg

Looks like a good way to spend stimulus money.

It is interesting that in Scotland when one refers to Whisky (whiskey) they are talking about what we would call Scotch. When hunters in camp locally refer to whiskey, they may be talking about bourbon or the distinctly different "Canadian Whiskey".....(the latter suitable only as a solvent or for in-laws IMO). If they want a scotch, they will ask for it as such. It is equally surprising to me what some whiskeys sell for..........an avid bourbon drinker that I know, likes this distillery the best.........FWB

View attachment 388548
I have one of those!

I'm willing to bet he didn't pay $4500 for it either! Haha!
Nope lucked up the day it was delivered to my favorite store and saw them put it in the locked display case. Paid about $200 for it

@Shootist43 the next time we work on reloading we will consume some fine brown liquids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber