Where am I going next?

Yeah in the head!
Was that intentional?! And .300 win Mag is not exactly a recommended caliber . . . In fact, it’s illegal for buffalo in most of Southern Africa!

A shot (with a caliber) I would leave to professionals. Shockey may qualify at this point, but most of us wouldn’t.

That long horrible flight from the states to Jo is just too much for me anymore I think. And yes, first was Tanzania and that was on the flight from literal Hell! This was back in the days of smoking planes and I had just recently quit in 1982 or so. Got stuck on a cattle car 747 on a junket run that left Amsterdam, stops at Vienne, Khartoum and then Kilimanjaro. Smokers and a-holes pretty much the order of the day on that flight, just awful! Stuck in the middle of some shall I see fellows of the Germanic persuasion that didn't do a thing for their image I promise you. One guy kept a smoke going the whole flight I swear and his elbow on the arm rest so as to place his lit cig right in mein f'ing face! Not sure how I got thru that flight without ending up in jail! But it was shorter than that Jo flight! Its still a lot of flying any way you slice it but at least it wont involve a 17 hour misery flight.

So number 10 will have to be Zambia. Fly emirates to Dubai, nice stopover, sleep in a good hotel, then the next stretch to Lusaka. And plenty of animals to find in Zambia you would want!

Not certain but its about 5-6 hours from Paris to Burkina so a lot less on a single flight than the hideous NY or ATL to Jo flights. Still have to get to the east coast US which for me is nearly 6 hours, then the flight from there to Paris or wherever, then the flight to BF, but its gotta be better than the RSA flight overall.

Have you booked your hunt yet?

BINGO!! Shoot me your address and will get a book headed your way. Yep, gonna try something a little different and with a little less air time involved. Not booked yet so I don't want to mention the particulars just yet, but looking at late next year or early 2020. Never been to West Africa and hear some interesting things about it. Fun times over already fellas!
Hey brother keep me in mind. I also want to hunt Burkina Faso in 20. I have spoken to a few PH's. Shoot me a PM.

A shot (with a caliber) I would leave to professionals. Shockey may qualify at this point, but most of us wouldn’t.

I wouldn't take that shot, just too inexperienced...but I also didn't have a problem with Jim doing it.

I wouldn't take that shot, just too inexperienced...but I also didn't have a problem with Jim doing it.
I don’t disagree with respect to Shockey. In the other hand, every time I’ve tried a head shot I think I’ve given the animal a new sinus, but not much else. It’s just not that easy to (intentionally) brain an animal without a lot of experience. I recall a Zim PH Mark Butcher telling me he wouldn’t let clients take a brain shot on elephant. Too many bad experiences he said, and I have no reason to doubt him.

Those long flights combined with obnoxious passengers are best dealt with by medicating yourself with a half mg Alprazolam. I find I am much more sociable with attitude so adjusted.
a bottle of south african cab will do just fine for me.

If my guy gets a leopard tag in Namibia next year I am there. If not myself and another member are going to Benin in March of 2020.

One thing I have my eye on is Greenland for Muskox and Caribou. Anybody ever done this hunt?

Got a call this morning from my guy in Namibia he got a leopard tag for next year!! So that's my plan hopefully for 2019. As long a personal situation remains stable with my wife I' ll also add on Mtn Zebra, klipspringer, steenbok and damara dik dik. Round two Mr. Spots!

Next problem is the leopard import tag.....Speaking to SSI USFW has issued zero import tags in over a year! Great

Last edited:
Not looking good in the western countries right now, terrorism is spiking in the whole area. Will be re thinking my plans as well. Good luck with spots!

I looked at Benin and Burkina Faso, there is some risk involved for sure. I have run the numbers over and over again...the risk vs reward is not worth it for me right now. It's still a good amount of money if you want a roan and buffalo. I could skip the buffalo and just hunt plains game, the costs are not bad. But, it seems a shame to go all that way and pass on the buffalo.

Its funny, I have no real interest in shooting another Cape Buffalo, but these smaller unique looking western types intrigue me. If I go it will be primarily for the roan and buffalo. There seems to be somewhat less risk in Benin than B-F. State Dept has them listed as BF, "reconsider traveling to" and Benin, "be careful on the beaches and cities". I would heed that latter advice anywhere, always be watchful and careful. I am still pondering.....

Its funny, I have no real interest in shooting another Cape Buffalo, but these smaller unique looking western types intrigue me. If I go it will be primarily for the roan and buffalo. There seems to be somewhat less risk in Benin than B-F. State Dept has them listed as BF, "reconsider traveling to" and Benin, "be careful on the beaches and cities". I would heed that latter advice anywhere, always be watchful and careful. I am still pondering.....
I’m curious Scott, what are the outfitters telling you about travel/security in BF and Benin?

In conversations with JohnyB, he has related some info from a member outfitter here that BF is pretty much off the table for now. I have put in a request for info from another member outfitter and haven't heard back yet, surprisingly. An agent I have talked to agrees that BF is not good right now, so have been looking more towards Benin, but it is right next door! Funny that our State Dept did not downgrade Benin's status recently when other countries State Dept's did if temporarily due to some incursions from BF. I did email the US Consulate in Benin to pick their brains and they really gave me no guidance other than do your own due diligence and monitor all sites that report on the security status of these countries. They did not confirm nor deny that there had been any issues. The one site I check regularly http://www.etravelalerts.com/security/ , had recently reported on incursions from BF into Benin, but has since removed them from that list of issue states. Wish I knew more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!