What To Take In The Field

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Aaron Nietfeld, Mar 30, 2015.

1. DM Shooting

DM Shooting AH Veteran

For me it's a two stage list, I've a light pack that stays in the truck with warmer kit, medium first aid kit spare ammo, water.

Lighter belt carried kit that is most normally carried.

Rifle with ammo
    Spare ammo
    Binos
    Knife
    Water bottle
    Small first aid kit plasters chap stick Streistrips FFD and CAT tourniquet
    And the one I always forget camera.

CAustin likes this.

2. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Like others gave said I think you take as little as possible! The outfitter for the most part will bring what's needed. Rifle, binocs, cell phone for photos,
    And some toilet paper .....just in case!

3. Ernie Shipman

Ernie Shipman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    The Church Universal & The Kingdom of Heaven
    Hunted:
    South Africa

4. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    I think the lists are somewhat repetitive which is extremely encouraging as there is 90% consensus amongst all the contributors. I think my list too is 90%+ overlapping with all the others. I might enter the field with a few less things and I might have a few more things back at the cruiser.

In the field on a stalk I have:

Gun
    Ammo
    Sling
    Range finding binos in a FHF Chest Harness
    Shemagh
    Hat
    (might grab a water bottle and throw it in my bush jacket pocket)
    GPS / Emergency Transponder / Satellite SMS messenger
    Polarized Amber Glasses (lightest lens color polarized glasses possible) with custom "behind the ear" temples. And their case.
    (***Scout has the sticks)

In the Safari truck I have:

Big knife
    Another Shemagh sometimes
    Water purifier bottle full of water (so if bottled water runs out on a long day, I'm still willing to keep hunting)
    Bug spray with SPF 30 (Avon skin so soft)
    Lighter
    Cigars (in case of celebration)
    Beer (in case of celebration as a post-hunt sundowner on ride back to camp)
    Small first aid (Naproxen)
    Polarized Sunglasses with custom "behind the ear" temples I rarely use
    Lunch
    Enough Piri Piri Sauce to drown half of Africa
    Gun slip
    Shotgun and Shells to ground sluice a Guinea Hen or shoot a Franc on the rise

-A couple of the items are essential primarily for a bush lunch!

5. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    I am certainly a minimalist when it comes to bringing things on a guided hunt because the guide is responsible for a lot of items. I worry about me and not about us.

I try to keep things limited to a large fanny pack on a day hunt because my shoulders and neck are all mangled up and can't take the weight of a backpack. TP, water, trail mix, clean shoelace for cleaning the gun or replacing a torn lace, prescriptions (not first aid, that's his job), tool to remove my scope if I have irons, etc. Little very personal things.

6. jrgould

jrgould AH Senior Member

One thing I would add that I didn't see mentioned is duct tape, I usually take about 3 feet and roll it around itself, it makes a very small tube shape about the size of my little finger and can be used for many things.

7. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    A half dozen Percodan (prescription of course), just in case I'm involved in some problem and need to wait several hours/days for help/evacuation.

8. rookhawk

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    @Ray B just make sure not to connect through Dubai or you'll serve ten years for having a narcotic unless your script paperwork is really in order. They scrutinize "use as needed" scripts for controlled substances.

9. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    I would never connect through any place in the middle east

10. rookhawk

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Not to give you a hard time, but what is your aversion to a first world location in the Middle East like Dubai? Is it general fear or is it that you're against their religion? If the latter, I assure you that your odds of being slaughtered by a Muslim in Dubai are 1:1,0000000000. Odds in RSA, Zim, Zambia, Benin, Tanz or Kenya by a Muslim...measurable. Head further north, the odds approach 50/50.

Just curious as I hear this statement a lot which is fine, I just never identify the root issue as someone will never explain how they come to their views logically and apply them consistently so I await a "teachable moment".

11. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Instead of toilet paper I carry several sheets of paper towel in a zip-loc sandwich or quart bag. it has many uses, serving as TP is only one of them

Von S. likes this.

12. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
    Roohawk, I can't speak for Icq or from experience. However from what others have told me, so can not verify, it is the tight laws of the places. The amount of work that is needed to transport firearms, ammo, medications etc can be horrendous and the slightest mistake can be costly.

If iam incorrect then someone who knows please set the record straight.

13. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    Me....in the field....

karre2.jpg

Kento!, Ridgewalker and Velo Dog like this.

14. Nosler guy

Nosler guy AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci
    Someone may have mentioned it, might have missed it - but the one thing I always carry is lens cleaning equipment - usually just one of those "Spudz" clothes that you can get a Cabelas or any camera shop - not big or heavy but beats the heck out of mopping off a $2000 lense with your shirt sleeve

Kento! likes this.

15. Art Lambart II

Art Lambart II AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
    Hunted:
    MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
    Whatever you carry with you I recommend using a Safari vest and leaving the pack ion the truck, it will make moving thru the bush much easier.

16. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    When in my 40s I'd backpack hunt alone either rifle or archery. Global Rescue had it close. I'd hunt the Rawah Wilderness in Colorado in October. There's a world of difference in that and high fenced Africa. No cell phones then.
    My one trip to Africa was luxurious! But if I were there with no fences in wild country, you can bet I'd have a daypack with some survival gear.
    JMO

17. frankdes

frankdes AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Plains game

It's true the lesser the better.
    Don't forget a hat and I also take a cotton scarf to protect my neck against the sun.

Frank

Ridgewalker likes this.

18. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    I go as light as possible but always carry water. One day in Zim, we bailed off the truck to stalk a kudu (which never presented a shot). It turned into a seven hour in 90+ degree heat, cat and mouse game. I'm glad I had my H2O. I'll never leave the truck without it.

Ridgewalker likes this.

19. 50lawman

50lawman BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI/ North American Hunt CLub
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    Having had the opportunity to do both plains game and dangerous game (sitting in a blind overnight), these lists are quite spot on. I would agree with a safari vest (no buckles), chap stick and eyedrops. Another thought regarding binos. When you are tracking/stalking PG for the first time your PH should had already had the discussion with you as to what animals you want to take and if they can be "good representations" or you want the Rowland Ward #1. Once your PH sees the animal and throws out the sticks, you don't have much time to pick, sometimes untangle your binos to check the size etc. Lots of times that action spooks the game and you're back to square one. Trust your PH. One other thing is having muzzle breaks may not be frowned upon and for some may be necessary but when your PH is looking over your shoulder, like a baseball umpire so that you don't shoot the wrong animal, and that round goes off, well you know what I mean. Most importantly enjoy the experience. Things will happen that can be both frustrating and awesome, embrace it for the opportunity it will present. You will have a ton of paperwork to keep track of, so use a supple 3 ring binder with clear pockets to protect the various forms etc you will need. Having a Rescue Plan (Global Rescue etc) would be a good idea.

20. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

When and where?

Ok, I use very comfortable 25 times washed tan , light gray or lighter green top quality work clothes that are tailored to fit me and many stress points reinforced with 20 pound kevlar thread. I have the crotch nylon tape reinforced and button on the fly (just in case I get excited). I have the right shirt pocket removed as I am right handed. I carry a Spiderco folding knife. I use a belt and suspenders that are attached by buttoned. I wear expensive calf high boots. I use footjoy socks. (get at a golf shop). I wear double gradient sunglasses and a coated cable retainer that I sling on my back before I shoot. I carry a small expensive rangefinder. I have a canteen and a bullet holder. I carry 50 foot of parachute cord.I have hard candy and TP. 1 good cigar and a lighter. I wear a baseball hat. A pair of blousing straps.

The rest of the junk stays in the trunk is