What Rifles Would Be Best In My Situation

lurker

AH member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will be going to a hunting school in South Africa in February 2017 . Should I go all in on a nice double rifle (Veyney Carron or Heym) or get a nice affordable double and a quality bolt? Or Just a simple rifle?

My budget is around 14-or 15k.

Looking forward to your advice!

Best regards Andre

Last edited:
My uneducated opinion only, after 57 years on the planet ..... Get a good CRF bolt gun ( ZKK, Voere or musgrave ) and see where the road leads you. Little steps first not giant strides. You can buy a good double later when you work out what you want AND need.

My uneducated opinion only, after 57 years on the planet ..... Get a good CRF bolt gun ( ZKK, Voere or musgrave ) and see where the road leads you. Little steps first not giant strides. You can buy a good double later when you work out what you want AND need.
Thank you for "your uneducated advice" Code4! Even though its the most logical path!

Bolt!!!!! You talking 15k dollars or rands?

Bolt!!!!! You talking 15k dollars or rands?
15,00o$ sir, with that im "stuck" between a used verney carron or heym 88b ph, (leaning for heym cause the intercepting sears really appeal to me, both in 470 and at the same price, A Heym martini express in 375 h&H in the 8k range plus a used searcy , for a basic rifle i'm lookin at a the Ruger rsm m77 in .375 h&H or .416.

If your plan is to become a PH I would consider a .375 HH or .375 Ruger bolt action for its versatility. Look for a mid priced one, you'll be too busy with your client and hunting operation to worry about whether your rifle gets scratched, broken or even cleaned. Enjoy the course!

Enjoy the course, I would also say get a bolt, and maybe as you mentioned above you can get a more affordable double also. Best of luck!

@lurker have you used a double before? are you used to using iron sights of the type fitted on a double/bolt action big game rifle? where are you from....USA?......SA?....your profile page doesnt say....if from the usa have you used iron sights a lot? as a lot of people from there are only used to scopes. all very well asking what you should get but if you havent shot doubles, or big cals of any type then its going to be an expensive 11 months putting enough rounds through the rifle to become proficient with it.....if you havent then a .375 with a 1-4x24 scope on it maybe what you need to start with...........

Last edited:
Good advice SpikeT

That Heym martini express you are looking it is a very nice option!

A nice CZ or Winchester in 375HH Caliber and put the rest of your money in the Bank

I would suggest you look at 2 bolt action rifles over a double rifle.

I am sure that i will miss someones favorite maker however, i am Looking at this to save you a few dollars.
Look at Ruger, Winchester, Browning, Remington rifles you should be able to obtain one with scope for close to $2,000.
Now if you elect to spend more than 2K then look at CZ, Hyem, and a few more makers.

For your battery: Again i would look at:

One Rifle in 375 H&H or maybe in the 416 Rigby or 458 Lott for your larger bore rifle.

And Your second rifle in either a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag.

I am a little biased because I do like Heyms. I am guessing it will be for Dangerous Game and Plains Game? The Heym Express is a beautiful rifle and shoots very well. Look at the SR21 or SR30 for PG. O own several and they are excellent, reliable and accurate guns. Pick you caliber they will make it in any that you choose.

Lots of good advice here, it an get a bit overwhelming. Scopes, that is whole different thread LOL

Some years ago - after my first buffalo hunt - I had convinced myself I needed a double rifle. I looked around, but had a hard time making up my mind. And that was a good thing . . . because I eventually came to the realization that a double gun is a very specialized piece of equipment. One txt I would likely only use when hunting buffalo or elephant. And how many of those hunts would I go on? Not many . . . at least when it comes to elephant!

So I decided to take a portion of the money I would have spent and get myself a fine, custom made bolt action rifle, with superb exhibition grade wood, a Mauser action and lots of bells and whistles. And lo and behold, I spent far less than I would have on a nice double, and I had a gun that would be far more practical. Since that time, I've picked up a a few more bolt action rifles - including a Martini (of Heym Martini fame) and a Rigby, all beautiful guns, and all of which I can take with me and actually shoot.

And I'm much happier as a result.

Now, if you're going to be a PH, and rarely (hopefully) have to fire your weapon, by all means, a double rifle is a great charge stopper. But if you want guns you will actually carry and shoot, I'd say go for the bolt action. But get a nice one!

@lurker have you used a double before? are you used to using iron sights of the type fitted on a double/bolt action big game rifle? where are you from....USA?......SA?....your profile page doesnt say....if from the usa have you used iron sights a lot? as a lot of people from there are only used to scopes. all very well asking what you should get but if you havent shot doubles, or big cals of any type then its going to be an expensive 11 months putting enough rounds through the rifle to become proficient with it.....if you havent then a .375 with a 1-4x24 scope on it maybe what you need to start with...........

Hi Spike thaks for your help again! I am in the USA, I have not even held a double before or used a scope, all my previous rifles had iron sights. The 7 month course I will be taking requires a scope.

"big cals of any type then its going to be an expensive 11 months putting enough rounds through the rifle to become proficient with it". Yes! I thought about that and even put money aside for ammo for shooting the next 10 or so months away!

Some years ago - after my first buffalo hunt - I had convinced myself I needed a double rifle. I looked around, but had a hard time making up my mind. And that was a good thing . . . because I eventually came to the realization that a double gun is a very specialized piece of equipment. One txt I would likely only use when hunting buffalo or elephant. And how many of those hunts would I go on? Not many . . . at least when it comes to elephant!

So I decided to take a portion of the money I would have spent and get myself a fine, custom made bolt action rifle, with superb exhibition grade wood, a Mauser action and lots of bells and whistles. And lo and behold, I spent far less than I would have on a nice double, and I had a gun that would be far more practical. Since that time, I've picked up a a few more bolt action rifles - including a Martini (of Heym Martini fame) and a Rigby, all beautiful guns, and all of which I can take with me and actually shoot.

And I'm much happier as a result.

Now, if you're going to be a PH, and rarely (hopefully) have to fire your weapon, by all means, a double rifle is a great charge stopper. But if you want guns you will actually carry and shoot, I'd say go for the bolt action. But get a nice one!

Hi Hank thanks for sharing your experiences and nice rifles you have! Yes my goal is to become an apprentice after this course specifically for dangerous game .

I am a little biased because I do like Heyms. I am guessing it will be for Dangerous Game and Plains Game? The Heym Express is a beautiful rifle and shoots very well. Look at the SR21 or SR30 for PG. O own several and they are excellent, reliable and accurate guns. Pick you caliber they will make it in any that you choose.

Lots of good advice here, it an get a bit overwhelming. Scopes, that is whole different thread LOL
The rifle is intended for dangerous game , but will probably be needed for plains game as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross