What Rifles Would Be Best In My Situation

I have a Whitworth/Zastava in 375HH, it is amazingly accurate with a leupold 4x12,this is my plains game rifle,,I am Now awaiting shipment a CZ550 I purchased used in 375HH and having it Re barreled and modified to handle 404 Jeffery,with a 1/75x4 Leupold this will be my DG rifle,,not that the 375HH wouldn't work just as well, I just got the Bug to own something bigger

Get your double gun now or you'll wish you had. Then get a .375 Ruger they cost $900!
Then you'll be set!
Regards,
Philip

A nice CZ or Winchester in 375HH Caliber and put the rest of your money in the Bank
Exactly what my father told me , the extra money could be extremely useful down the road, but the appeal of a double rifle :( sigh hahah

Get your double gun now or you'll wish you had. Then get a .375 Ruger they cost $900!
Then you'll be set!
Regards,
Philip
Just the answer I was looking for hahahahaha.

I have a Whitworth/Zastava in 375HH, it is amazingly accurate with a leupold 4x12,this is my plains game rifle,,I am Now awaiting shipment a CZ550 I purchased used in 375HH and having it Re barreled and modified to handle 404 Jeffery,with a 1/75x4 Leupold this will be my DG rifle,,not that the 375HH wouldn't work just as well, I just got the Bug to own something bigger
Interesting, I read an artice by Don Heath, from what I Understood he had high regards for Whitworth over all other rifles in that price range.
Enjoy the course, I would also say get a bolt, and maybe as you mentioned above you can get a more affordable double also. Best of luck!
Thats the route i'd really like to take, however the searcy in quetion is a .450 3 1/4, im a bit paranoid about ammo availability as somone coming from the states with no contacts there.

Doubt there will be very many people in your PH class with a double.

Get one of the 375 H&H's for under $1,300. Put a decent quality scope on it so your total cost is under 2k. In the months you spend in PH school, you will get a lot better idea of what you want to carry long term. Even if you decide to go with something else long term, you can't go wrong with a good quality 375H&H as a backup.

Doubt there will be very many people in your PH class with a double.

Get one of the 375 H&H's for under $1,300. Put a decent quality scope on it so your total cost is under 2k. In the months you spend in PH school, you will get a lot better idea of what you want to carry long term. Even if you decide to go with something else long term, you can't go wrong with a good quality 375H&H as a backup.

Absolutely thank you for the great advice, i'm set on buying 2 rifles one will have to be the .375h&h not to mention the money it will save down range.

I agree on splitting it. Grab something like a .375 H&H (cost effective, found everywhere and enough bang if you find yourself in a tough situation) in a bolt action, put a decent scope on her (B&O or kahle) and then something around .458 mark for big and uglies at close ranges. I'd suggest a .450 Rigby, but I'm biased. Keep in mind that beauty doesn't help at all with accuracy. Focus on finding reliable, comfortable rifles in the right calibers before you stress over what they look like. Lastly, please stick to what you are most comfortable with. I've never hunted dangerous game, but I've been in some pretty hairy situations with "non-dangerous" game and using a rifle you know and understand makes a big difference. Last think you want when a buff decides he's had enough is to be searching for where the safety is on a rifle you're not too familiar with.

Ok.

Unless you know someone, or buy your way in, I very much doubt you'll be apprenticed for DG straight from the US and straight off a course. There is a very real hierarchy in how you proceed in the PH business and a wealthy rookie with a foreign accent will need to prove his cred before advancement. There are an aweful lot of qualified PH's and most start off 'on call' doing piece meal work. They are a dime a dozen. The successful ones have unbelievable organisational and people skills. It is a huge benefit (almost a necessity to be multi-lingual). Do you speak Afrikkanes which is a common tongue among PH's in southern Africa, or any indigenous languages ?

If you don't have a spot already, you will need a lot of $$$$ to sustain yourself. North of the Limpopo PH work is a great way to earn foreign currency and is highly sort after and competed for.

A nice rifle/double won't get you work. The course itself will be fascinating and you will learn a lot.

Sorry if this rains on your parade but the reality is far different from perception.

Last edited:
Hi again Code4, I believe your information is realistic and valuable. I have thought about your mentioned scenarios. After the 7 month course its kind of "godspeed" from there,not to mention i'm pretty sure I cannot get licensed in South Africa with me being a US citizen. I am by no means wealthy but thankfully over the years have managed to save for a double (if i get one), the course, and other necessities. As for buying my way in I thought about it and will do if given the chance haha. I really really want to become an apprentice. I do not speak Afrikkanes, however my father and sister are dutch so i know about an incredible 10 or so words.

By no means are you raining on any parade.

Ehm... Not to be pedantic, but it's "Afrikaaans" and dutch and afrikaans really aren't all that similar. Just some advice: don't get that wrong over here (RSA), the guys won't let you forget it :)

Lurker, first welcome to the forum. My first choice is a double and stalk close enough. Then a nice classic single shot. and bolt as a close choice. But now is time to put on the uncle dave hat. Get a nice 416 or 404 bolt gun with good irons and a 1.5x4 high quality glass. and put the rest in the bank and get your double when you finish and have formed a learned opinion on what will work for you. If you are taking 2 rifles get a 375 or 9.3x62 with same recommendations for glass. and put the money in the bank. If you are in southern Arizona before you go over for school. I offer to let you shot the 3 calibres recommended in bolt rifles, and a couple doubles. Have a great time in the PH course.

Hi "uncle"Dave! thank you for the welcome and the incredible offer. Unfortunately I don't see myself being in that region before this course starts, but that would be incredible! About the calibers you mentioned , I have been focused on the .375 h&h ,.416 rigby , and 470ne, simply from (based on reading here) are the most accessible rounds should you need ammo (in store) , I would love a 404 but in my possibly misguided thinking I see it as an "exotic" round that might not be readily available, I have seen a few .404 and .450 3 1/4 rifles that I wanted to buy at good prices and I passed simply because of the caliber. Do you know if these calibers are easily accessible in South Africa and Tanzania?

Last edited:
I like your avatar! I am sure most recognize P H Capstick. I believe that pix was taken while he was hunting in South America, before he went to Africa. Love all his books. As to rifles, get what you want, whatever it is. If you are concerned about practicality, get a bolt action rifle in .30-06 and .375 H&H because with those you can do it all. I too am a fan of the Whitworth rifles, got mine in 1984, in .375 of course and used it on my first 3 safaris. It has never failed me. The same rifle can still be had but it wont be called Whitworth unless you find a used one, and they are around here in the states. Zastava makes the action and they currently sell rifles under that name. But I don't claim its the best rifle ever made. Were I in your shoes, I would today probably opt for an older Brno 600 series rifle or a current CZ 550. Good luck on the journey.

@sestoppelman , I think have hit the nail on the head. 30-06 and 375 will be perfect. Double is just going to cost you. Last 5 years I don't think I have shot 5 shots on wounded big 5 with clients. But have had to help out plenty on Pg.

It would be hard to go wrong with a combo of 375 or 416 and 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. With the 375 and 416, you actually will be able to shoot out to 200 yds+ with very little sight adjustments, which I think is a big plus. I would not buy a double until I had some experience under my belt. The CZ holds a lot of ammo in the magazine. Shot placement is final and the above guns will get the job done.

Haha I see thank you for correcting my typo, im sure they will forget after vast amounts of beer :D
You have a point there! Quite jealous, I must say :) You must let me know when you touch down in jhb, I'd be happy to take you to a few less touristy places so you can really see what our amazing country is about, if you would like :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross