What is the least used and least liked rifle in your safe? Why?

I never use my model 94 ranger, but it’s the first gun I bought and nostalgia demands that I keep it. I bought it in ‘99, and I think it’s had 2 boxes of shells through it. Not a bad rifle, just totally overshadowed by the ’06.

Worst gun was a Mossberg 500 that some 19yr old spray painted black (including the mechanics). I could never get it clean enough to function. Sold it for $75.

I usually purchase a rifle or pistol with a intended purpose in mind.

But there is this one, a WWII era Japanese Ariska type 99 that had been sporterized with a new stock and barrel to 257 Roberts. It packs a 4x Bushnell scope of 1950 or so vintage. It was a very weak moment when I picked up that rifle.
@JimP
The older Arisaka is,a very strong action but ugly as sin. With a halfway decent bit of wood they turn into a not t o bad looking rifle that shoots well and will last a lifetime.
Bob

I’ve got 2 that I would part with or rebuild.

First, a Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag. It is a Mare’s Leg like Steve McQueen carried in Wanted:Dead or Alive. It’s a novelty. I regret buying it.

Second is a Siamese Mauser in (I think) 8x52mmR. The stock has been mostly sporterized. I would like to maybe have it built into something useable, but don’t have any plans. I know a lot were converted to .45-70. But if I was going to go to the expense, I’d like to get something I’d be more likely to use. Particularly, if I could build it into a good DG rifle.

Also back there is a Marlin Goose Gun bolt action 12 gauge with a 35” barrel. A dear friend gave it to me so I won’t part with it. But it’ll probably never be more than a wall hanger (for which I have no wall space or plans).
@Petey J
Why not barrel the Siamese Mauser to 45/90 that will give you enough oomph for dg
Bob

I never use my model 94 ranger, but it’s the first gun I bought and nostalgia demands that I keep it. I bought it in ‘99, and I think it’s had 2 boxes of shells through it. Not a bad rifle, just totally overshadowed by the ’06.

Worst gun was a Mossberg 500 that some 19yr old spray painted black (including the mechanics). I could never get it clean enough to function. Sold it for $75.
@Bourbon Trail
That mossberg was probably owned by @Forrest Halley he has a fetish for rattle can paint.

A few decades ago I acquired a Siamese Mauser with the intention of doing a 45/70 conversion. I sold it a few months back still un-converted.

Although a very well made action, made from the best steel of its day, there will be a number of challenges:
  • Although designed by Mauser, production was by the Koishikawa Arsenal Japan. As a consequence there are numerous parts which are not interchangeable with Mauser 98s. Major parts followed the general thread specifications used by mauser but many minor parts had obscure Japanese thread forms (possibly arsenal specials) Several critical parts are unobtanium.
  • The action and magazine will take a 45/70 length cartridge but is too short for anything much longer.
  • The bolt face measures around 0.565". Its not a great match for any common cartridges. Some 7.62x54R will fit but some not so. 303 Brit is a bit sloppy. 405 Win could be considered. 45/70 has a rim diameter of 0.608", as a consequence you would need to have the bolt face opened up.
  • The mag follower was specifically designed for the original cartridge. Either good luck, or a very good smith may be required to get reliable feeding for any other cartridge.
  • Ditto re the action feed rails. Sometimes 45/70 will feed without modification, other times it needs someone with specific experience of these conversion. Many were ruined by Bubba hacking out the rails.
  • The extractor is unique to the Siamese Mauser. I don't know of anyone making replacement should yours loose tension or break.
  • A lot of Siamese Mausers were missing their follower and spring. See above comments re unobtainium. The follower is quite different to a standard Mauser 98.
At the end of the day I took the view that there was also a ethical issue. They aren't making Siamese Mausers anymore. I felt I'd be happier to have it owned and restored by a collector. I could always buy a modern rifle in an appropriate calibre, they don't make original Siamese Mausers anymore.

My least liked is the one I use the most. It is my Baikal superpose in 12 gauge (76mm). It was my first gun and it is heavy, do not know how heavy, but heavy. Do not need to workout because carrying that shotgun is all the workout I need..

Use it for hunting/pest control least once a week. Bought this year a nice Merkel juxtapose in 12 gauge (70mm) but because I still have a sh*t load of 3 inch shells I will probably not use it for at least a year. So the Merkel is the least used, did not buy shells for it yet because my safe is already full with the 3 inch shells.

Ditto the 10/22 comments. I rarely shoot mine. I wouldn't call them junk but they're definitely overrated.

Least used? A Navy Arms 1866 in 45 Colt. I bought it used for a song but I don't recall having ever shot it. I shoot the crap out of my 1873 45 Colt but I haven't got around to shooting the '66.

Like many others that posted I like all the guns in my safe. Some more than others but I'm glad I own the ones I do.

Last edited:
I have a Weatherby MK5 accumark in.270 Weatherby Magnum that is one of those love/hate things. The rifle is laser gun accurate but rarely used because I hate the look of a stainless steel action and barrel and a black plastic stock. Just personal preference for wood and blued steel.

@JimP
The older Arisaka is,a very strong action but ugly as sin. With a halfway decent bit of wood they turn into a not t o bad looking rifle that shoots well and will last a lifetime.
Bob
I still have the first center fire rifle I ever owned, an Arisaka Model 38, originally in 6.5X51, but altered, immediately after I bought it to 6.5X.308 (.260 Remington). I bought it in 1958, while I was an undergraduate and used it as an all around varmint/deer rifle. I learned to hand load with it and still have the primitive Belding & Mull hand tools I used to load it with. As a varmint rifle, it was topped with a Unertl 8X 1" target scope, which was changed for a 4X Lyman "All American" when deer season rolled around.

I settled on an Arisaka after reading P.O. Ackley's accounts of his experiments with testing the strength of various military rifles in which the Arisaka rifles out performed all others.

In addition to the rechambering job, the barrel was shortened to 24", the bolt was altered for low scope and the military stock was replaced with a Reinhardt Fajan sporter stock. I haven't shot it in decades.

It marked the beginning of a life long relationship with gunsmith Harry Creighton in Nashville.

I have a stainless Sako .270 Short Mag that rarely gets used as it kicks like no other rifle I have used. A very sharp punch that will leave you reeling. I just had the barrel threaded and will see if a suppressor will solve some of the issues otherwise it will stay in the back of the gun closet.

@MMAL I had a 338 like you mentioned, I restocked it into a laminated stock from boyds and it completely changed the recoil impulse of the felt recoil.

My most disliked rifle was a remington M700 in 30/06. Got it in a three way trade, have never liked the 700's:E Sick: So it went down the road to someone that likes the platform.

@MMAL I had a 338 like you mentioned, I restocked it into a laminated stock from boyds and it completely changed the recoil impulse of the felt recoil.

My most disliked rifle was a remington M700 in 30/06. Got it in a three way trade, have never liked the 700's:E Sick: So it went down the road to someone that likes the platform.

Thanks for the advice. Have not look at Boyd’s in awhile because I thought they only dealt with colors and designs meant for Ronald McDonald or a techno dance club. I see now they have some more traditional designs. Might be a nice project although I quickly get back to when I would use the caliber given I love my 300 win mag I have a .375 h&h, 500/416 double and a 458 Lott.

Too many guns with not enough money or time to hunt them all. What a first world problem!!!!!

Ruger M77 Mark II in .338 Win Mag. With a hollow composite stock. It is just painful to shoot. Too light weight and it is a fast jab rather than a big push like the bigger calibers. Shoot it on one elk hunt and it has been in the safe for the past 10+ years. When I find someone I really do not like, i will give them this gun as a present.
I have that rifle in a 270 Win and it kicks way worse than my 300 and sharper than my 375.
It is a joy to pack around and indestructible in a feed truck or horseback in the mountains, but man it kicks- even in a small caliber like the 270

I have that rifle in a 270 Win and it kicks way worse than my 300 and sharper than my 375.
It is a joy to pack around and indestructible in a feed truck or horseback in the mountains, but man it kicks- even in a small caliber like the 270
My worst recoiling rifle is a knight ultralight .50 cal muzzleloader with a 300 grain bullet and a full charge of blackhorn 209 (120 grains). At about 7lbs, that rifle kicks significantly more than a .375 or .300 win mag. It is the kind of recoil that makes people laugh because of the surprise.

I have a few that I have not gotten around to shooting yet. I don’t think that I have any that I presently fully dislike.
Probably the 300 Winchester magnums will certainly see the least planned use. Great cartridge, but I have never really warmed up to them. I have one that I have had for over 25 years, I have shot one box of bullets through it.

300 Weatherby Magnum. Kicks like a mule and is not accurate. I have had it accurized, installed a Swarovski scope with good mounts, but still not accurate and is no fun to shoot.

My least used is an old Beretta pump 12 gauge, so loose if you don’t hold the for-stock it will cycle itself.
My least favourite is not even my rifle but my buddies pre64 Alaskan in 338wm. It kicks the sh*t out of you then slaps you silly. I would rather shoot a whole box of slugs out of a full choke than take one more shot out of his rifle. It’s odd how some hurt and some don’t, my 358 Norma and 416 Taylor are built on the same case and are a dream to shoot.

@Rare Breed

Is it 7mm calibre in general or that rifle? I used/hired a 7mmRm on my SA trip.

I don't have anything on that list above cause Aussies use more .308s than ought sixes.

Other wise my 7mn-08 has proven itself and I'm needing to hunt my .280ai and .308 & .300wm have been good to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg