What Have You Killed with Your .308 Winchester?

4 Mule deer bucks, 3 cow elk, 2 Russian Boars, 2 bears, lots of Coyotes.

Have confidence in the .308! It does a great job and is easy to shoot well.

IMG_2271.jpeg
L1000622.jpeg
P1010057.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Always been a .30-06 Springfield man, through and through. But I did use my issued .308 Winchester FN FAL service rifle (loaded with 147Gr FMJ military ball) to take this Asian sloth bear which had ambushed our unit (when we were on evening patrol) during the war in ‘71. He took 18 rounds before he was downed. And also 4 rounds of .303 British (174Gr FMJ military ball). But not before he killed 2 of our men and permanently disfigured a 3rd.
IMG_2501.jpeg
(
IMG_2502.jpeg
IMG_2503.jpeg

Surprised such a small bear would be so hard to kill and do so much damage! Why we hunt with expanding bullets I guess.
I killed an average sized black bear with a .308, much bigger than that bear, with one well placed 165 gr Nosler Partition.

Surprised such a small bear would be so hard to kill and do so much damage! Why we hunt with expanding bullets I guess.
I killed an average sized black bear with a .308, much bigger than that bear, with one well placed 165 gr Nosler Partition.
I know, @sestoppelman . These creatures are deceptively dangerous.

My kids and I have shot everything from deer, hogs, large black bears, and coyotes in North America and Kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeast and eland in Africa. If you keep your shots 300 yards or less and use the right bullets for the game you are shooting, with the exception of the really big stuff in Africa there is not much you can't effectively shoot with the 308 WIN.

Always been a .30-06 Springfield man, through and through. But I did use my issued .308 Winchester FN FAL service rifle (loaded with 147Gr FMJ military ball) to take this Asian sloth bear which had ambushed our unit (when we were on evening patrol) during the war in ‘71. He took 18 rounds before he was downed. And also 4 rounds of .303 British (174Gr FMJ military ball). But not before he killed 2 of our men and permanently disfigured a 3rd.
View attachment 544969(View attachment 544970View attachment 544971
18 rounds???!!! Wow! He's one tough cookie! What would you normally use on one of these? .338 or .375 or similar?

18 rounds???!!! Wow! He's one tough cookie! What would you normally use on one of these? .338 or .375 or similar?
Hi, Jim. A .338 Winchester Magnum & 275Gr Swift A Frame soft nosed cartridges are an excellent combination for Asian sloth bear.

The reason that this particular bear was so tenacious of life, was because we were shooting at him with FMJ military ball (non expanding bullets) from our service .308 Winchester FN FAL and .303 British Lee Enfield rifles . These were basically going right through him, without expanding properly inside his internal vital organs (which would have accelerated his rate of blood loss and caused him to hemorrhage quicker). Even if we didn’t shoot him so many times, he still would have eventually succumbed to the first 2 or 3 shots. But not before killing (or at least injuring) several more of the soldiers from our unit.

Hi, Jim. A .338 Winchester Magnum & 275Gr Swift A Frame soft nosed cartridges are an excellent combination for Asian sloth bear.

The reason that this particular bear was so tenacious of life, was because we were shooting at him with FMJ military ball (non expanding bullets) from our service .308 Winchester FN FAL and .303 British Lee Enfield rifles . These were basically going right through him, without expanding properly inside his internal vital organs (which would have accelerated his rate of blood loss and caused him to hemorrhage quicker). Even if we didn’t shoot him so many times, he still would have eventually succumbed to the first 2 or 3 shots. But not before killing (or at least injuring) several more of the soldiers from our unit.
So a .375 Weatherby with a 300gr Swift A-Frame would probably work on him pretty well then? That's my rifle I built from scratch. We chrono'd a 300gr at 2885 and 2889 ft/s, for close to 5600 ft-lbs. I'd planned to use it on everything when I go to Africa. But I'm now building a .458 Lott so....choices choices :) I guess I'll bring them both. The .375 Roy is actually quite managable to shoot. So, I originally thought I'd just take a one-rifle safari and call it good. Then I thought about taking it and a .30-06. Now I'm building the Lott. Not sure how many you can bring.

I'm really in awe of you and guys that have done this 100 times over. Bengal Tigers. Bears. Lions. Heck, I just wanted to get a nasty old Cape Buffalo. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. How about a .22 LR? Can you hunt any small stuff in Africa? :)

The U.S. military has been using the .308 since 1957 and is still using it today.

Sniping, cold-weather, and machine guns...

I don't think we have use anything else for 66 years.

It wouldn't be my first choice for PG, but it would probably make the the top 10.

If that was all I had, I would hunt anything in NA with it, and any PG in Africa. I'd rather use my .308 than rent a rifle for PG.

Last edited:
I recently sighted in my Ruger American Rifle, and it’s in .308.
I’ve been wondering exactly what can I hunt with this round?
I have a tack driver of a rifle. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the 8 round group all within an inch.
When hand loaded, can I expect to not get the same level of velocity and and accuracy?
What kind of game has everyone used it on to hunt?

Hawk
.308 Win is one of my favorite rounds and was the first caliber hunting rifle I bought myself. Personally I think I’m partial to it because I used it a good bit overseas. If you pick the right bullet, pick your shot, and do your job there really isn’t anything you can’t kill with it. Some stuff will legally require you to use more gun but it’d get the job done.

In Africa I’ve killed the following with a .308 Win
Warthog
Impala
Klipspringer
Kudu
Blue Wildebeest
Duiker
Steenbuck
Cape and Limpopo Bushbuck
Cape Grysbok
Oribi
Mtn Reedbok

In North America
Elk
Mule Deer
Whitetail
Black Bear
Pronghorn
Hogs
Coyotes

As stated before, it can kill most anything. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on Moose, Mountain Goat, Caribou, Sheep or anything really in North America hunt.

308 Win is my go to chambering, I cannot list all I have shot with it. In Africa from sable, kudu, zebra on the larger side to duiker, mnt reedbuck, baboon, jackal on the small side, with everything in between. Here at home at least 20 moose, including a 58" booner, elk, goats, caribou, sheep, black bear, all 4 deer sub species and predators from wolf, coyote and cougar.

The 165 gr accubond in the correct spot and all fell down or ran a short distance then fell down. Built in short actions, rifles are light, nimble, easy and a joy to carry. Also easy on the shoulder. I am a hunter not a sniper of 4 legged critters so see no need for anything else for most species I hunt. I have 338's or 375 for the DG, griz, and bison but 308 gets the nod for all others because, Dam it works.

MB

308 Win is my go to chambering, I cannot list all I have shot with it. In Africa from sable, kudu, zebra on the larger side to duiker, mnt reedbuck, baboon, jackal on the small side, with everything in between. Here at home at least 20 moose, including a 58" booner, elk, goats, caribou, sheep, black bear, all 4 deer sub species and predators from wolf, coyote and cougar.

The 165 gr accubond in the correct spot and all fell down or ran a short distance then fell down. Built in short actions, rifles are light, nimble, easy and a joy to carry. Also easy on the shoulder. I am a hunter not a sniper of 4 legged critters so see no need for anything else for most species I hunt. I have 338's or 375 for the DG, griz, and bison but 308 gets the nod for all others because, Dam it works.

MB
Love this!

So a .375 Weatherby with a 300gr Swift A-Frame would probably work on him pretty well then? That's my rifle I built from scratch. We chrono'd a 300gr at 2885 and 2889 ft/s, for close to 5600 ft-lbs. I'd planned to use it on everything when I go to Africa. But I'm now building a .458 Lott so....choices choices :) I guess I'll bring them both. The .375 Roy is actually quite managable to shoot. So, I originally thought I'd just take a one-rifle safari and call it good. Then I thought about taking it and a .30-06. Now I'm building the Lott. Not sure how many you can bring.

I'm really in awe of you and guys that have done this 100 times over. Bengal Tigers. Bears. Lions. Heck, I just wanted to get a nasty old Cape Buffalo. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. How about a .22 LR? Can you hunt any small stuff in Africa? :)
So sorry, Jim. I jut saw this.

The .375 Weatherby Magnum & 300Gr Swift A Frame bullet would be quite a potent combination for Asian sloth bears. Personally speaking, I would not prefer a velocity in excess of 2500 fps when using lead cored expanding bullets. Heavier bullets at modest velocities perform best for these creatures. South African manufactured 340Gr Rhino Solid Shank bullets would be an excellent choice (out of a .375 Weatherby Magnum) for Asian sloth bears.

A .375 caliber rifle (being it a Holland & Holland Magnum or a Weatherby Magnum) and a .30 caliber rifle (be it a .30-06 Springfield or a .300 Holland & Holland Magnum or a .300 Winchester Magnum) is an excellent 2 rifle combination for a full bag African safari. As a matter of fact, the combination with which I have had the most success over the years... is a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (300Gr bullets only) and a .30-06 Springfield (180Gr bullets for open plains hunting & 220Gr bullets for brush hunting).

An interesting field observation of mine on the .458 Lott (which might be of some benefit to you for future hunts) is this:
For body shots on Cape buffalo, a freshly loaded .458 Winchester Magnum (with velocities actually chronographing at the desired 2130 fps or thereabouts with 500Gr bullets) has noticeably more terminal effect than a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (with velocities actually chronographing at the desired 2530 fps or thereabouts with 300Gr bullets)- Assuming of course, that all other factors are equal.

For body shots on lion, a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (with velocities actually chronographing at the desired 2530 fps or thereabouts with 300Gr bullets) has noticeably more terminal effect than a reshly loaded .458 Winchester Magnum (with velocities actually chronographing at the desired 2130 fps or thereabouts with 500Gr bullets)- Assuming of course, that all other factors are equal.

But the .458 Lott (with velocities actually chronographing at 2350 fps or thereabouts with 500Gr bullets) is superior to the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum for body shots on both Cape buffalo and lion- Assuming of course, that all other factors are equal (and that the recoil doesn't bother you). Whatever I said about the .458 Lott, also applies to the .450 Rigby Rimless Magnum and the .450 Dakota.

In regards to your question about a .22LR, I have hunted several Guinea fowl with them in Africa over the years. But I mostly prefer a 12 gauge shotgun and 36Grms of #4 shot. It's actually mandatory to use a centerfire caliber for even the smallest of antelopes in Africa. So a .22 Hornet would serve you far better. I shot an impala with a .22 Hornet in Tanzania in 1978. It was a behind-the-shoulder heart shot with a 45Gr Remington soft point factory load (rifle was a BRNO ZKW 465). He eventually succumbed to the gunshot wound reasonably quickly. But for impala, I personally prefer a .243 Winchester and Winchester Super X 100Gr Power-Point factory loads as a bare minimum. I did shoot a pair of spurwing geese with a .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire in 2017, using C.C.I Maxi-Mag 40Gr hollow point factory loads (rifle was an Anschutz Model 1515/16 with double set triggers).

In regards to my hunting adventures, I chalk all this up to good luck and excellent logistical support (from my fellow officers, forest guards, white hunters & trackers) rather than any skills or prowess on my part. I'm a very substandard & average hunter, I promise you. In regards to acquiring so many hunting opportunities over the years, I can only say that it was all a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Or wrong time.

I wish that we had never crossed paths with that Asian sloth bear in the winter of 1971. If we had not, then 2 of my men would have still been alive and another would not be facially disfigured for life. The war was virtually over by then, and we were all talking about seeing our families again & moving on with our lives. In regards to the 3 man eating Royal Bengal tigers that I hunted, I am afraid that I could not really enjoy the hunts as much as I would have liked to at the time. Because I was facing a very serious threat of losing my job if I failed in hunting them down in time.

I know that you'll be extremely successful in getting your Cape buffalo. And God be willing/Insha Allah, it will be the first of many.

Last edited:
I recently sighted in my Ruger American Rifle, and it’s in .308.
I’ve been wondering exactly what can I hunt with this round?
I have a tack driver of a rifle. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the 8 round group all within an inch.
When hand loaded, can I expect to not get the same level of velocity and and accuracy?
What kind of game has everyone used it on to hunt?

Hawk
Wild pigs , red deer , & Viet Cong.

Having grown up in South Africa ive hunted plenty with the .308 win.
Eland
Sable
Blue wildebeest
kudu
Zebra
and the list goes on. I previously used 180grainers, but switched to 168 grn Barnes in the last 2 years and am very happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatildaGra

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.