What Have You Killed with Your .308 Winchester?

1682140499946.jpeg

1682140649703.jpeg

Several cow elk, antelope, and mule deer
SCAR 17S
Trijicon ACOG 3.5x35 BAC Riflescope - .308 / 7.62 BDC
Winchester Super-X Power-Point 150 grain
Yet to need more than one shot

When I first started looking and talking to outfitters about hunting Namibia and South Africa the most common answer to what caliber to bring for plains game was something like " Do you have a 30-06 or 308? Bring it" No one showed a preference between the two. They like them because they have proven themselves and most everyone can shoot them accurately, which is their bigger concern. Personally I own a 30-06 so that's what I took 8 animals with without a fuss.

The only difference between a 308 and 30-06 is 100 to 150 fps muzzle velocity less for 308. So in my view it's basically a 30-06 minus fifty yards in terms of energy. Assuming a perfect shot I felt safe using my 30-06 to 300 yards for anything large (kudu, gemsbok, etc.) except eland. For eland I'd go to 200 to still have enough velocity for good energy dump and trauma in such a large animal. In the mopane of Namibia or bush of the Limpopo of South Africa you probably won't go beyond 150 yard for anything, so the 308 will work just fine. That's my take.

The ballistics of a 308 are quite mundane in the world of rifle cartridges, the military uses it due to the millions of rounds of ammunition stockpiled around the world, not because it's really good.
The same thing we can says about the 3006...
It´s very polpular because the cartridge are extensily used by the US army...
In fact, no regrets about any of both them, there are great shots, bu I prefer the 308 win and, at this time, at my 52 years old... as long as the 308win doesn't let me down (which it hasn't done so far...) I'm not going to change it for any other cartridge

I recently sighted in my Ruger American Rifle, and it’s in .308.
I’ve been wondering exactly what can I hunt with this round?
I have a tack driver of a rifle. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the 8 round group all within an inch.
When hand loaded, can I expect to not get the same level of velocity and and accuracy?
What kind of game has everyone used it on to hunt?

Hawk
Hey Hawk, you know me from TGT I think or atleast I know you. Ive hunted almost exclusively with a.308 my entire life. Everything from elk down to varmints. It is my favorite caliber by far.

Not sure if you remember me posting over there about my experiences with my go wild version of the RAR in .308 but my specific rifle only liked handloads. Factory ammo was always 1.5 moa or greater and since I am invested in the caliber, I tried atleast 20+ different factory loads.

What worked for me was a max load of H4895 (cant remember but the max load that is listed in the hornady manual. I think it is 42 or 43 gr) with 180 gr interlocks. Typical groups around .50-.65 MOA

I ended up trading it away a year or so ago and got a Sauer 100. Let me know what it ends up liking. Cant go wrong with H4895 or varget for .308s

Oh yea one other thing is that the mcarbo trigger spring for these is worth every cent. Id look into it if you cant get the pull weight you want

The ballistics of a 308 are quite mundane in the world of rifle cartridges, the military uses it due to the millions of rounds of ammunition stockpiled around the world, not because it's really good.

Military does not have bad calibres, never had.

Hey Hawk, you know me from TGT I think or atleast I know you. Ive hunted almost exclusively with a.308 my entire life. Everything from elk down to varmints. It is my favorite caliber by far.

Not sure if you remember me posting over there about my experiences with my go wild version of the RAR in .308 but my specific rifle only liked handloads. Factory ammo was always 1.5 moa or greater and since I am invested in the caliber, I tried atleast 20+ different factory loads.

What worked for me was a max load of H4895 (cant remember but the max load that is listed in the hornady manual. I think it is 42 or 43 gr) with 180 gr interlocks. Typical groups around .50-.65 MOA

I ended up trading it away a year or so ago and got a Sauer 100. Let me know what it ends up liking. Cant go wrong with H4895 or varget for .308s

Oh yea one other thing is that the mcarbo trigger spring for these is worth every cent. Id look into it if you cant get the pull weight you want

Yes I remember you very well.
I’m hoping my hand loads will be as good if not a little better than the factory rounds.
Good to see you’re still on here.

Hawk

Reactions: MTA
LOL one deer when I was 13. It wasn't my gun. I quickly graduated to 3006 and 300 Win mag never looking back. I wasn't alive during the Korean war. LOL it is lacking steam for a lot of hunting

Military does not have bad calibres, never had.

Foxi is right.

When the armed forces select a cartridge to be the standard issue or a part of a standard arsenal they, them and NATO would have had a lot of really good reasons to choose the 7.62x51 military round (.308 for the sake of the argument) . Then they order the hardware and millions of bullets to stockpile for training and warfare.
Perhaps it's not "the best" at the time but its been chosen over many others available on that era.

Someone thought it was really good at the time.

It's not the most prestigious cartridge but it really works and that's what the thread is about.

I've used a .308 rifle for much of my hunting in Canada for the past 50 years. Instead of the USA habit of comparing it with the old .30-06 and thinking it's "not quite as good", Canadians often compare the .308 with our old .303 British and think of it as a "little bit better". However I don't believe there is an observable difference in effectiveness between those three in the field during actual hunting conditions. From the largest moose on down to the lightest pronghorn antelope, I've never found my .308 rifles lacking. I've tried many other cartridges, and keep coming back to the .308 as the most practical, capable, efficient, easy to shoot accurately, and generally useful cartridge for most of our hunting.

I've used a .308 rifle for much of my hunting in Canada for the past 50 years. Instead of the USA habit of comparing it with the old .30-06 and thinking it's "not quite as good", Canadians often compare the .308 with our old .303 British and think of it as a "little bit better". However I don't believe there is an observable difference in effectiveness between those three in the field during actual hunting conditions. From the largest moose on down to the lightest pronghorn antelope, I've never found my .308 rifles lacking. I've tried many other cartridges, and keep coming back to the .308 as the most practical, capable, efficient, easy to shoot accurately, and generally useful cartridge for most of our hunting.
Longwalker, we think the same!!!
Here, we have an equal to the .303 british, in the "7,65 argentine mauser" cartridge, a trusty old shot, very used in all the 20 century... but, the 308 is a little better, for shure!
I tryed several cartridges too, and back to the 308...

Yep.

I’ve probably got a dozen “deer” rifles in the safe… calibers ranging from .243 to .358 Winchester and .35 Whelen… including other 30 caliber options (30-06, etc)…

9 out of 10 times… I grab a 308…

Doesn’t matter if I’m headed out after deer, hogs, elk, PG, or anything else in the 50-600 lb size/weight range… from 0-300 yards the old 308 just works… and works well…

We must share a bit of the same history. Our countries I mean. I've only been walking just over 50 years , hunting from as young age though.

Australia has a rich history with the .303. it was used in 2 world wars and I think Bob said the Korean war.

The military then adopted the .308 equivalent for the next war that America dragged us into.

The .223 was later adopted to feed the plastic rifle.

I note the Canadian Rangers carried the .303 as a service rifle into recent times, only to replace it with a .308.

Gotta be something going for it. It's pretty common in Australia. A new shooter was asking about a good cartridge choice for a new shooter on a Facebook forum. Many seasoned hunters said straight up .308 including @Mark R

I agreed on the .308, a few suggested other options and one challenged the .308 comments, I bit, may as well argue with them on Facebook, that's what it's for isn't it.

CBH, nothing to do with this thread but I recently watched a documentary about the Australian involvement in Viet Nam, I’m assuming that’s the war you referred to. Most Americans probably don‘t realize any of it. For me I appreciate your countries sacrifice.

I have mixed opinions on the .308. I’ve shot hogs and whitetail with the .308 in rifles and a mule deer with it in a handgun. All were quick kills.
There are two areas of concern: First is the .308, although close to the .30/06, isn’t quite there. Will an animal know the difference? Probably not, but why not just use an ‘06?
The second is that the .308 is known as an inherently accurate round. I had a H&K 91 that was extremely accurate and accounted for the hogs and white tails. Unfortunately, that was stolen. I’ve since owned a M70 Win that would shoot 1.25” on its best day, usually around 1.5”. Then a Ruger that was a consistent 1.5”. Not whirlwinds in the accuracy department.
It’s ironic this topic came up. Just a week ago, I was talking with a couple of friends who have owned at least two .308’s each. Their experience is similar to mine. One now owns an HMR that is sub inch and the other owns a Tikka but has found only one real accurate load for it.

CBH, nothing to do with this thread but I recently watched a documentary about the Australian involvement in Viet Nam, I’m assuming that’s the war you referred to. Most Americans probably don‘t realize any of it. For me I appreciate your countries sacrifice.
Correct.
As much as war is not good we are lucky to have America as an Allied force so our country supports them.
I don't know much of it myself to be honest.

I have mixed opinions on the .308. I’ve shot hogs and whitetail with the .308 in rifles and a mule deer with it in a handgun. All were quick kills.
There are two areas of concern: First is the .308, although close to the .30/06, isn’t quite there. Will an animal know the difference? Probably not, but why not just use an ‘06?
Why not just use the ‘06? For the very reason you already stated. The animals won’t know the difference. And because it’s what we prefer. Huge respect for the.30-06 though.

NAFT
If you can't figure out the acronym, I pity the fool.

One of the "nicest" guns in my safe is a custom mauser in 30-06..

Here's the rub though...

The 30-06 mauser LOVES 168gr TTSX loaded at about 2750 FPS.. shoots sub 1" groups at 100 all day long with that load.. and knocks deer sized game flat with it...

The all of my 308s LOVE 168 gr TTSX loaded at 2720 FPS... they all shoot sub 1" groups at 100 all day long with that load.. and knocks deer sized game flat with it..

So.. for all intents and purposes.. they are identical in down range performance..

BUT...

I have a couple of 308's with 16" barrels.. those short barrels combined with the short action makes for a much lighter, shorter, and handier rifle in thick woods and/or maneuvering around inside a blind.. Those are benefits Im not going to get out of my 25" barreled, long action 30-06 thats a bit of a porker weighing in at just under 9lbs with an optic on it..

I can load the 30-06 up with 200+gr projectiles.. where the 308 typically maxes out at 180 gr... but.. since I dont shoot any of my 30 calibers any heavier than 168gr.. theres no real value there for me..

from an affordability perspective.. ammo is in the same ball park price wise..

from an availability perspective.. both are readily available (although 308 is significantly more available.. its the second most popular caliber in the US in terms of the volume of ammunition sold per year)..

So for ME... 308 wins every day...

Same bullet.. same velocity.. same accuracy.. same range/distance capability.. same cost.. but more ammo availability and a smaller, lighter, more handy platform to fire it from wins the day...

Am I disparaging the 30-06? absolutely not.. again, one of the prettiest guns in my safe is a 30-06.. and its taken its share of pigs and deer, etc.. and never failed me in any way..

and if the hunting I did routinely called for 200+ gr projectiles.. or shooting 180 and lighter projectiles faster.. I might defer to the 30-06 (although I'd probably just reach for a 30 magnum at that point)..

I just fail to see the "slightly" better argument for the 30-06... I'd actually argue that the 308 is "slightly" better in a couple of different ways as well... its just a matter of what your needs/requirements are..

I don't have an 06 at present, I'll give you $6 for yours!
I routinely grab my .338.

I recently sighted in my Ruger American Rifle, and it’s in .308.
I’ve been wondering exactly what can I hunt with this round?
I have a tack driver of a rifle. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the 8 round group all within an inch.
When hand loaded, can I expect to not get the same level of velocity and and accuracy?
What kind of game has everyone used it on to hunt?

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
My son has shot rabbit,deer, pig as well as impala, zebra, oryx, wart hog as well as other plains game with his 308 using mainly 150gn SST hand loads or 150gn accubonds for pg. Most have been onshot kills.
A few head of game have taken 2 to 3 shots but that wasn't the cartridge fault. The first shot on thos occasions were not placed properly.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!