AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
I had most of my skulls European mounted (due to lack of space and low ceilings) and skins tanned including back skins. I'm curious what everyone does with the skins...bed, furniture throws, zebra rug, etc. currently I have a blue wildebeest, zebra (felt backed rug), oryx backskin, kudu backskin, Impala skin and a Nyala skin.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I wanted the skins to be used for something that will be a subtle reminder of the hunt. I am having a cartridge belt made. My son is doing a bag for his university books. Wife having a hand bag made. There are some great threads here with stuff people have had made. I have a friend who had a jacket made out of multiple hides and I think that is cool. Good luck with your decision

I did cartridge/gear belt, western belt, wife did two western belts. That was from the buffalo. We had pillows out of the kudu backskin. Still plan to do some bags out of skins.

I had most of my skulls European mounted (due to lack of space and low ceilings) and skins tanned including back skins. I'm curious what everyone does with the skins...bed, furniture throws, zebra rug, etc. currently I have a blue wildebeest, zebra (felt backed rug), oryx backskin, kudu backskin, Impala skin and a Nyala skin.

Have done all of what you suggest. In addition I have had rifle bags made from Zebra, Elephant and Giraffe. Some belts and wallets from elephant leather.

Thanks guys! All going on my list to do. I appreciate the ideas.

I have only two skins: a bison hide and a cow waterbuck hide. I use the bison hide to curl up in on cold winter days and watch cowboy movies on the TV.:) The waterbuck hide is just used for decoration. I would like to see hides made into useful objects that could be used everyday (cartridge belts, boots, moccasins, holsters, bags, etc.).

Horsehide has always been considered the best leather for handgun holsters......I've often wondered if zebra skin would be a good substitute since horsehide is so hard to get anymore.

Most skins I find hard to find something to do with. My favorites is a mountain zebra back skin that we have at the foot of our bed. I am going to have fun with the giraffe. A neck mount then some custom furniture!
Regards,
Philip

I did cartridge/gear belt, western belt...

I was reading this quickly and thought you wrote garter belt and about spit my soda through my nose.

IMG_2157.JPG
IMG_2160.JPG
Hi Ridgewalker

I got a great Blue Wildebeest but it was my first animal so I had it skinned for a shoulder mount. If I wouldn't have done that I would have used it as a rug/floor cover. They look very good with the mane and tail with the side stripes. Wish I had one.
I had a hide of a red hartebeest tanned and the back hide of a nyala. I found a local place that would make a rifle case out of the hartebeest that is going to be a great memory and I had a bench in my man cave that the nyala sits on and looks great. Above are the two together.
The other picture is the rifle case from the other side. A box of shells fits in the pocket great.

Gun cases, range bag, wife handbag and purse, skull plate mount backing, stool covers, wallets, bed comforter, the list goes on and on and on...

I was reading this quickly and thought you wrote garter belt and about spit my soda through my nose.

I may just need to do that for Ann's birthday next year. I can imagine the look on her face. Especially if her family is around. :A Naughty:

You may notice that two of the belts have a curve to them. The leather smith did that for Ann's belts. Said they fit the ladies better. Ann tells me they are the best fitting belts she has ever had. Andrews Leather: http://www.andrewsleather.com/exotic/exoticindex.html

The blue wildebeest does make as lovely a backed floor rug as the zebra. The brindle colors almost always show and shift dramatically in the light.

IMG_2199.JPG
I had most of my skulls European mounted (due to lack of space and low ceilings)

Also you might have seen this in the Trophy Room/Man Cave thread but if not here is a display of some of my skulls from my two trips. I put new spot lights in just to show them off.

Like you, I had no room for full shoulder mounts. The skins are quite valuable to Taxidermists. I made a deal for him to mount my skulls on plaques free of charge if I gave him the hides. I'm sure he got the better end of the deal but it worked for me.

I have a blue wildebeest, zebra (felt backed rug), oryx backskin, kudu backskin, Impala skin and a Nyala skin.
Hi Ridgewalker
Looking at the part above I am guessing that you are having a shoulder mount of your oryx and Kudu. Of the other trophies my number 2 was the Nyala, number 1 Kudu. I don't know how they cut the hide for the Nyala but they are a beautiful animal. If you have a whole hide coming. That is going to be a great hide. Here is the best shot I have of one. If it is split down the stomach you will have a great hide.
What ever you do don't give these hides away.
Tom
These are my top two trophies of my two hunts!
Not the best animals but my top animals.

DSC04166.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg