AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
I had most of my skulls European mounted (due to lack of space and low ceilings) and skins tanned including back skins. I'm curious what everyone does with the skins...bed, furniture throws, zebra rug, etc. currently I have a blue wildebeest, zebra (felt backed rug), oryx backskin, kudu backskin, Impala skin and a Nyala skin.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I wanted the skins to be used for something that will be a subtle reminder of the hunt. I am having a cartridge belt made. My son is doing a bag for his university books. Wife having a hand bag made. There are some great threads here with stuff people have had made. I have a friend who had a jacket made out of multiple hides and I think that is cool. Good luck with your decision

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I did cartridge/gear belt, western belt, wife did two western belts. That was from the buffalo. We had pillows out of the kudu backskin. Still plan to do some bags out of skins.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I had most of my skulls European mounted (due to lack of space and low ceilings) and skins tanned including back skins. I'm curious what everyone does with the skins...bed, furniture throws, zebra rug, etc. currently I have a blue wildebeest, zebra (felt backed rug), oryx backskin, kudu backskin, Impala skin and a Nyala skin.

Have done all of what you suggest. In addition I have had rifle bags made from Zebra, Elephant and Giraffe. Some belts and wallets from elephant leather.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Thanks guys! All going on my list to do. I appreciate the ideas.

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have only two skins: a bison hide and a cow waterbuck hide. I use the bison hide to curl up in on cold winter days and watch cowboy movies on the TV.:) The waterbuck hide is just used for decoration. I would like to see hides made into useful objects that could be used everyday (cartridge belts, boots, moccasins, holsters, bags, etc.).

Horsehide has always been considered the best leather for handgun holsters......I've often wondered if zebra skin would be a good substitute since horsehide is so hard to get anymore.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Most skins I find hard to find something to do with. My favorites is a mountain zebra back skin that we have at the foot of our bed. I am going to have fun with the giraffe. A neck mount then some custom furniture!
Regards,
Philip

mrpoindexter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NFAA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE, California
I did cartridge/gear belt, western belt...

I was reading this quickly and thought you wrote garter belt and about spit my soda through my nose.

Bhfs300

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA Canada South Africa New Zealand
IMG_2157.JPG
IMG_2160.JPG
Hi Ridgewalker

I got a great Blue Wildebeest but it was my first animal so I had it skinned for a shoulder mount. If I wouldn't have done that I would have used it as a rug/floor cover. They look very good with the mane and tail with the side stripes. Wish I had one.
I had a hide of a red hartebeest tanned and the back hide of a nyala. I found a local place that would make a rifle case out of the hartebeest that is going to be a great memory and I had a bench in my man cave that the nyala sits on and looks great. Above are the two together.
The other picture is the rifle case from the other side. A box of shells fits in the pocket great.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Gun cases, range bag, wife handbag and purse, skull plate mount backing, stool covers, wallets, bed comforter, the list goes on and on and on...

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I was reading this quickly and thought you wrote garter belt and about spit my soda through my nose.

I may just need to do that for Ann's birthday next year. I can imagine the look on her face. Especially if her family is around. :A Naughty:

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
You may notice that two of the belts have a curve to them. The leather smith did that for Ann's belts. Said they fit the ladies better. Ann tells me they are the best fitting belts she has ever had. Andrews Leather: http://www.andrewsleather.com/exotic/exoticindex.html

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
The blue wildebeest does make as lovely a backed floor rug as the zebra. The brindle colors almost always show and shift dramatically in the light.

Bhfs300

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
IMG_2199.JPG
I had most of my skulls European mounted (due to lack of space and low ceilings)

Also you might have seen this in the Trophy Room/Man Cave thread but if not here is a display of some of my skulls from my two trips. I put new spot lights in just to show them off.

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Like you, I had no room for full shoulder mounts. The skins are quite valuable to Taxidermists. I made a deal for him to mount my skulls on plaques free of charge if I gave him the hides. I'm sure he got the better end of the deal but it worked for me.

Bhfs300

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
I have a blue wildebeest, zebra (felt backed rug), oryx backskin, kudu backskin, Impala skin and a Nyala skin.
Hi Ridgewalker
Looking at the part above I am guessing that you are having a shoulder mount of your oryx and Kudu. Of the other trophies my number 2 was the Nyala, number 1 Kudu. I don't know how they cut the hide for the Nyala but they are a beautiful animal. If you have a whole hide coming. That is going to be a great hide. Here is the best shot I have of one. If it is split down the stomach you will have a great hide.
What ever you do don't give these hides away.
Tom
These are my top two trophies of my two hunts!
Not the best animals but my top animals.

DSC04166.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalinaBrid

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.