What do you do with skins?

Help please. I am hunting with D&Y in Zim this August. How can I use my elephant skin to make a cartidge belt and then get it into the US please? What are the steps and who can do this work please?

thanks!
There are three parts to this:
1. Getting the hide tanned properly.
2. Using the tanned hide to make the belt or whatever.
3. Getting the made item into the USA

On the first in Zimbabwe if you hunt the north use Bromley Taxidermy. In the south use Matabeleland Taxidermy or another in Bulawayo, but forget shipping stuff north to south or visa versa and expecting it to come back.

On the second, there are a few experts in Zim, not many. For belts use Justine de la Roux. For rifle bags and other use Andy Hunter of Harare.

On the third, probably get it all back to the taxidermist who did the tanning, together with unused skins etc, they will know how to export it.
 
There are three parts to this:
1. Getting the hide tanned properly.
2. Using the tanned hide to make the belt or whatever.
3. Getting the made item into the USA

On the first in Zimbabwe if you hunt the north use Bromley Taxidermy. In the south use Matabeleland Taxidermy or another in Bulawayo, but forget shipping stuff north to south or visa versa and expecting it to come back.

On the second, there are a few experts in Zim, not many. For belts use Justine de la Roux. For rifle bags and other use Andy Hunter of Harare.

On the third, probably get it all back to the taxidermist who did the tanning, together with unused skins etc, they will know how to export it.
Thanks Kevin!
 
This company will build nice cases out of your hide for a modest price

 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.17 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.17 AM Large.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.23 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.23 AM Large.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.27 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.27 AM Large.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.28 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.28 AM Large.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.31 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.16.31 AM Large.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 231
1C53BAA0-7460-4709-B2C4-6D527F9FE982.jpeg
 
Buck wild, great idea! I have a stair well going to my little space and this might work well in it.
Thanks!
And thanks to everyone for all the excellent info/ideas! Hopefully we can all use some of it!

Sorry to hear Edward is no longer around.
 
Getting the skin back into the USA might be a problem.

On another site under trophy room photos there’s photos of some leather couches that the owner had made. Of course, it’s not a USA location.
 
Last edited:
I'm sure buffalo, hippo and ostrich leather are great for making things but what about leather made from any other hides? I had thought warthog leather would be good but someone told me it's thin.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,350
Messages
1,573,771
Members
169,849
Latest member
UQWEstella
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top