What caliber would you choose........

Pondoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
What velocity do you get out of your .450/.470/.500´s when you reload for hunting DG..?

I get an average of 2158 fps with modern Kynoch and about the same with 94 grains Norma N4 from 23" barrels...this being a .475 Straight..

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I wouldn't let my decision be swayed by what the expense or availability of bullets is or because I had some of a particular caliber on hand, that's for sure.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Sandman welcome to the world of doubles(y) I have one of the Sabatti's that is regulated correctly. I handled the round body 450NE and 450-400 both at DSC this year. I also looked at all the others that were available. At some point in the next couple years I will order a VC. I have shot a merkel in 500NE it is a step above the 450NE in power. Since you are a handloader either will fit the bill. THe 450 be cheaper to feed and as you said you already have a 450 Rigby so you have a supply of bullets. I have worked up loads that regulate with 500gr Swift A-frames 3in at 50. Takes a little work but worth it. Based on the bad reports of the 480 DGX on buff's I worked up that load. That being said I also dropped a large Zebra on my last safari at 90Meters the entrance wound was .458 and exit was about three times that so did get expansion but didn't recover the bullet. If you have your sights on the 500 I also handled one of the octagon barreled models that balanced between the hands and was a beauty! I thought about a 500 but have a nice old 500BPE double hammer gun that I won't part with. So didn't want to have two rifles that took the same basic case so when I have passed it down, THAT SOME FAMILY MEMBER DIDN'T DROP A FULL 500NE into a BPE and get hurt. Both will take down anything that walks on this planet. If you cant decide a good old coin toss bust 2 or 3 and let fate decide.

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
they will be using factory ammunition to regulate it with, so you will have to see what and if they can get in the bullet type you want...........alternatives to hornady are kynoch http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/cartridge collection.html , and wolfgang romey http://wr-munition.com/british-express-cartridges.html. . if you go for a .450 the standard bullet weight is 480grn

Yeah, after talking to the V-C rep, it sounds like most factories like to use "factory" ammo to maintain consistency, and reduce variability if there is a problem, and the rifle has to be worked on............

Having said that, I've heard from a few lately that the difference in POI and regulation is minimal between the 0.458 caliber, 480 grain bullets and 500 grainers. Regulation appears to be much more sensitive when switching powders, primers, etc. than a switching bullets that are 20 grains more in weight?

As such, I may venture into trying North Fork Semi-Spitzer and Flat or Cup-Point solids in the 0.458, 500 grain flavor. According to their literature, the POI is relatively the same between the "soft" and "solid" in the same weight bullet. I've heard nothing but good things from the North Fork users about terminal performance, but I guess it all depends on the individual gun as usual. They are "spendy" for sure, but when you're complaining about the cost of bullets to be shot through a double rifle, it's kind of like bitching about the cost of premium gasoline that your Ferrari requires I guess.......not that I have ever driven one. Any comments on the North Fork bullets trough the modern doubles? The North Fork guys say they're safe to use in modern doubles because of the multiple grooves on the bullet shank.

Thanks again for all the device. It's fun to know that I'm on my way to finally owning one of these beauties.

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
So didn't want to have two rifles that took the same basic case so when I have passed it down, THAT SOME FAMILY MEMBER DIDN'T DROP A FULL 500NE into a BPE and get hurt.

AZDAVE a 500 NE 3" in a 500 BPE double hammer might be pretty bad........Something like.......

the_gun_that_exploded_injuring_an_elderly_man_phot_1156351334.jpg

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Sandman that is exactly why I don't have a 500NE. I haven't tried the northfork in my 450NE but have the 9.3 cupped solids regulated with my Chapuis 9.3x74 double. I also worked up a load for the 300gr swift a-frames. You should have a fun time working up a load. Look fgorward to seeing pics of your rifle when you get it and hearing what you think.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
sandman the V-C doubles are very nice . i have looked at them at sci over the years and especially like the round action. so dont hang around we want to see the photos ;):D

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
That blown up shottie is why I managed to pick up my 577 BPE so cheap. The prior caretaker had a full Nitro and was worried about which shell was for which rifle.

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
It's gonna take a fair bit of J.B.Weld and electrical tape to put that old gatt back together :whistle:

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
Duct tape will fix her up quickly! Gorilla tape is even better!

ScottG

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Dude! My dad's got an awesome set of tools. I think I can fix it.

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Spicoli? Is that really you? :S Cool:

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
"What velocity do you get out of your .450/.470/.500´s when you reload for hunting DG..?

I get an average of 2158 fps with modern Kynoch and about the same with 94 grains Norma N4 from 23" barrels...this being a .475 Straight", quote by Pondoro.

Pondoro, I am loading the lighter than traditional bullet weight, for the .500 N.E, of 475gns in the mono-metal, brass, C.E.B Safari Raptor for a muzzle velocity of 2400fps and muzzle energy well in excess of 6000lbs.

A couple of grains less of the same powder gets the 510gn C.E.B #13 solid printing to the same p.o.a with slightly less velocity.

The C.E.B's, being lighter and mono-metal with pressure relief grooves give lower chamber pressures and barrel strains, higher velocities, which in turn generates more muzzle energy and deeper penetration.

Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viawinlet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J