What caliber would you choose........

What velocity do you get out of your .450/.470/.500´s when you reload for hunting DG..?

I get an average of 2158 fps with modern Kynoch and about the same with 94 grains Norma N4 from 23" barrels...this being a .475 Straight..

I wouldn't let my decision be swayed by what the expense or availability of bullets is or because I had some of a particular caliber on hand, that's for sure.

Sandman welcome to the world of doubles(y) I have one of the Sabatti's that is regulated correctly. I handled the round body 450NE and 450-400 both at DSC this year. I also looked at all the others that were available. At some point in the next couple years I will order a VC. I have shot a merkel in 500NE it is a step above the 450NE in power. Since you are a handloader either will fit the bill. THe 450 be cheaper to feed and as you said you already have a 450 Rigby so you have a supply of bullets. I have worked up loads that regulate with 500gr Swift A-frames 3in at 50. Takes a little work but worth it. Based on the bad reports of the 480 DGX on buff's I worked up that load. That being said I also dropped a large Zebra on my last safari at 90Meters the entrance wound was .458 and exit was about three times that so did get expansion but didn't recover the bullet. If you have your sights on the 500 I also handled one of the octagon barreled models that balanced between the hands and was a beauty! I thought about a 500 but have a nice old 500BPE double hammer gun that I won't part with. So didn't want to have two rifles that took the same basic case so when I have passed it down, THAT SOME FAMILY MEMBER DIDN'T DROP A FULL 500NE into a BPE and get hurt. Both will take down anything that walks on this planet. If you cant decide a good old coin toss bust 2 or 3 and let fate decide.

they will be using factory ammunition to regulate it with, so you will have to see what and if they can get in the bullet type you want...........alternatives to hornady are kynoch http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/cartridge collection.html , and wolfgang romey http://wr-munition.com/british-express-cartridges.html. . if you go for a .450 the standard bullet weight is 480grn

Yeah, after talking to the V-C rep, it sounds like most factories like to use "factory" ammo to maintain consistency, and reduce variability if there is a problem, and the rifle has to be worked on............

Having said that, I've heard from a few lately that the difference in POI and regulation is minimal between the 0.458 caliber, 480 grain bullets and 500 grainers. Regulation appears to be much more sensitive when switching powders, primers, etc. than a switching bullets that are 20 grains more in weight?

As such, I may venture into trying North Fork Semi-Spitzer and Flat or Cup-Point solids in the 0.458, 500 grain flavor. According to their literature, the POI is relatively the same between the "soft" and "solid" in the same weight bullet. I've heard nothing but good things from the North Fork users about terminal performance, but I guess it all depends on the individual gun as usual. They are "spendy" for sure, but when you're complaining about the cost of bullets to be shot through a double rifle, it's kind of like bitching about the cost of premium gasoline that your Ferrari requires I guess.......not that I have ever driven one. Any comments on the North Fork bullets trough the modern doubles? The North Fork guys say they're safe to use in modern doubles because of the multiple grooves on the bullet shank.

Thanks again for all the device. It's fun to know that I'm on my way to finally owning one of these beauties.

So didn't want to have two rifles that took the same basic case so when I have passed it down, THAT SOME FAMILY MEMBER DIDN'T DROP A FULL 500NE into a BPE and get hurt.

AZDAVE a 500 NE 3" in a 500 BPE double hammer might be pretty bad........Something like.......

the_gun_that_exploded_injuring_an_elderly_man_phot_1156351334.jpg

Sandman that is exactly why I don't have a 500NE. I haven't tried the northfork in my 450NE but have the 9.3 cupped solids regulated with my Chapuis 9.3x74 double. I also worked up a load for the 300gr swift a-frames. You should have a fun time working up a load. Look fgorward to seeing pics of your rifle when you get it and hearing what you think.

That blown up shottie is why I managed to pick up my 577 BPE so cheap. The prior caretaker had a full Nitro and was worried about which shell was for which rifle.

It's gonna take a fair bit of J.B.Weld and electrical tape to put that old gatt back together :whistle:

Duct tape will fix her up quickly! Gorilla tape is even better!

Dude! My dad's got an awesome set of tools. I think I can fix it.

Spicoli? Is that really you? :S Cool:

"What velocity do you get out of your .450/.470/.500´s when you reload for hunting DG..?

I get an average of 2158 fps with modern Kynoch and about the same with 94 grains Norma N4 from 23" barrels...this being a .475 Straight", quote by Pondoro.

Pondoro, I am loading the lighter than traditional bullet weight, for the .500 N.E, of 475gns in the mono-metal, brass, C.E.B Safari Raptor for a muzzle velocity of 2400fps and muzzle energy well in excess of 6000lbs.

A couple of grains less of the same powder gets the 510gn C.E.B #13 solid printing to the same p.o.a with slightly less velocity.

The C.E.B's, being lighter and mono-metal with pressure relief grooves give lower chamber pressures and barrel strains, higher velocities, which in turn generates more muzzle energy and deeper penetration.

Paul.

Haha... Ken Buch from KEBCO. One of the most affable, experienced and knowledgeable guys I know this side of the Pond. I trust him and his opinions very much. Only caveat: make sure you budget at least 1 hour if you plan a phone-chat with him! ;-)

To the question at hand: unless you plan on making it a dangerous-game-only rifle, I would opt for a caliber with the widest possible choice of bullets. No, it won't regulate with more than 1 or (if you're lucky) 2 of them, but in a pinch you can always use that right barrel as a single-shot for much more game than just buff, hippo and elephant. I would also ensure it is scoped or scope-able.

In other words, plan on this investment being as little of a safe-queen as possible--unless, that is, your funds are not an issue, in which case bully for you!

All the brands you've mentioned are fantastic. I think Chapuis is probably the best value for money, but that's just my professional bias. I'm also very partial to the .375 H&H, but it sounds you want something bigger. I'd go with a .450-400 or a .450 NE.

Last edited:
I’ve had about a dozen DRs over the years, from 7x65r to 577NE.

The 450 is magnificent but I just don’t shoot it quite as well as my 450-400 3. I absolutely can’t shoot the 500 or 577 well. Now both where vintage English and not stocked perfectly for me so take that with a grain of salt. The 450-400 3 has taken a pile of buff and plains game with zero problems. 400gr Woodleigh softs(L) and solids(R) shoot 2 inches at 100m. Very lucky for me.

IF you have a 450 then go a different direction...500 NE is a storm killer for sure and will stop anything on the planet but the 470 would be a good "middlin" between the two. What ever you do it will be a hoot as getting a new double is always that! Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg