Velocity loss

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Joined
Mar 19, 2015
Messages
398
Reaction score
550
Media
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
On a 308 With a 12.5 inch barrel what can I expect the velocity loss to be? If you google it the answers are all over from 20fps per inch to 100 per inch.

In addition would it be better to stick to lighter bullets because they generally use faster powder or doesn’t this really make much difference?
 
That's very very short. I have no experience with .308 barrels shorter than 20", but suggest you check out the new loadings made specifically for suppressed hunting arms. RWS and Norma offer such ammunition, made to burn efficiently and maintain velocity in the short barrels commonly fitted with suppressors.
 
A 12.5 inch .308 barrel?

Is this a breech loader pistol (ie a T/C or similar) or an AR platform rifle?

Extremely short version:

Different weapon designs and difference in manufactured ammo will cause a difference in velocity loss, thus the "....all over from 20 fps / inch to 100 fps / inch".

Also the shorter the barrel the less time for a full charge burn.....meaning before the powder is fully/ optimum burnt for full bullet velocity, the bullet is out the barrel.
 
Looking at some 308 pistol reloading data for a 15" barrel, I'm gonna estimate about 25 fps per inch. SWAG though.
 
You might have to put a blast protector on the scope, since it will be out over the muzzle!

there are some interesting articles about velocity loss with barrel shortening. If I recall correctly, as it gets really short the velocity loss per inch increases significantly as does noise.

you’ll have to chronograph your barrel as I bet there are a few of us who would be interested.

you could probably holster that rifle in a bartender’s hip holster for a tequila bottle.
 
A 12.5 inch .308 barrel?

Is this a breech loader pistol (ie a T/C or similar) or an AR platform rifle?

Extremely short version:

Different weapon designs and difference in manufactured ammo will cause a difference in velocity loss, thus the "....all over from 20 fps / inch to 100 fps / inch".

Also the shorter the barrel the less time for a full charge burn.....meaning before the powder is fully/ optimum burnt for full bullet velocity, the bullet is out the barrel.

It is a AR I haven’t bought it yet. I think it would be fun to play with and a nice hotel companion, can throw it in the suitcase.

If it is so short it becomes no better then a 350 Legion I could better just buy a Legion.

If I buy one I will report the velocity when I get a chance.
 
Jamie D Van Roekel, where do you live? In the States, the minimum length of a rifle barrel is 16".
 
Jamie D Van Roekel, where do you live? In the States, the minimum length of a rifle barrel is 16".



What's a rifle? What's a pistol?

1648563717182.png
 
"Touche!" Legal for now! Legal for long??
 
I did get it bought. Was going to take a picture but forgot. It is considered a handgun so needed to get it transferred to Iowa. When I pick it up will post a photo. And after I shoot it will follow up with velocity data.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,041
Members
169,482
Latest member
OlaCounts
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top