huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
This last Wednesday a buddy sent me a text and asked if I wanted to go try and find some mountain Grizzlies. He and another friend got 2 there this time last year. I was a bit apprehensive at first just because moose season was going to be closing in the unit I hunt this weekend and I still havent gotten one this year. He convinced me and said there are moose in the area that maybe we could try. So I took off Thursday and friday made the 3 hour drive and we were spotting early Thursday morning. At first right off the bat 2 cows showed up but we couldnt find any bulls with them. Weather turned bad all morning and we just had to hunker down in the tent.

That afternoon the weather started to clear up and we were back out spotting. We spotted 2 herds of caribou. And 8 dall sheep 3 rams and 3 ewes with 2 lambs. But still no big bulls or bears.

Friday morning rolls around and we wake up to hearing a cow moose bleating extremely loud. So we hike to our spotting spot and wait. Then bam we see 5 cows and 4 bulls 2 that should be legal (over 50 inches) and 1 that is respectable but not legal and a little guy. The 2 big moose were fighting each other and running the small ones off. Man what a site that is to see! We wait to see if they would lay down because it will take us about an hour and half to 2 hours to get to them. It becomes apparent that they are no going to lay down so we decide to make the move anyways.

After the hike down we get to where we think they should be and cant see anything. Then out of no where o see a cow and 3 bulls just appear where we were just looking. So the decision is made on which bull one shot and he drops.

To pack out we found a spot where we could get the four wheeler to. So after 8 trips to the spot with meat on our backs we go get the 4 wheeler for the easy ride out. The last trip with the fourwheeler the ignition goes out so take that off and hot wire the 4 wheeler to finish off the easy part.

We got 650 pounds of meat off this bad boy. The picture with me holding meat in the air is to show you how big his backstrap was and the other one is his front shoulder cut at the knee.

Needless to say it was another successful year for me!
20180914_091809_1536991003271.jpg
20180914_092640_1536991008077.jpg
20180914_092712_1536991007345.jpg
received_236356770380299.jpeg
20180914_065857.jpg
IMG-20180915-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20180915-WA0006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. Moose tastes way better than bear any day.

Moose meat......yum! Well done!!

Congrats, should be tasty !

Well done, congrats on the moose!

Congrats. Moose tastes way better than bear any day.

This is very true.. but those bears never get on fish. They are always on berries and I'm sure the occasional calf so they do taste amazing.

This is very true.. but those bears never get on fish. They are always on berries and I'm sure the occasional calf so they do taste amazing.

Always more tasty if they have never seen garbage and mostly eat berries. Still won’t trade you for Moose. Lol

Nice and congratulations!

Good job! Like I always say, any moose is a good moose when you're filling the freezer and you got yourself a dandy!

First week of October I'll be after a Saskatchewan moose. If I'm successful it'll be moose #11 for me!

Congrats, neat hunt! I love moose meat, too.

Great job!

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing!

Good job! Like I always say, any moose is a good moose when you're filling the freezer and you got yourself a dandy!

First week of October I'll be after a Saskatchewan moose. If I'm successful it'll be moose #11 for me!

Thank you and good luck!

Nicely done.

Congrats !! was wondering how wide was that bull?

Huntinlabs, you need to get on the good side of whoever dishes out reassignment orders for your outfit and tell him or possibly her to leave you right where you're at.

Huntinlabs, you need to get on the good side of whoever dishes out reassignment orders for your outfit and tell him or possibly her to leave you right where you're at.

I did get a one year extension and will be trying for more when the time comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg